Help with keyboard and mouse use

kmaultsby

Hello all, As I posted a little over a month ago I am getting back into flight-sim after about six years of being away. I have Thrustmaster Warthog and MFD’S all attached to the Monstertech Joystick / Hotas Table mount. I love the mounts, but the only problem is they keep me a little too far away from the table to reach the keyboard and mouse. They do sell a keyboard and mouse mounts but that maybe a little too much. I was thinking about purchasing just the mouse attachment, but I am still looking for other options. Now, this is where help from you all here on the forum. The planes I will be mostly flying are A10 the F/A 18 and the F16. How much do you really use the keyboard and mouse in the sim? Any suggestions.

Mouse is used very heavily in the F-18 through all phases of flight as significant functionality can not be accessed through the HOTAS. A-10 and F-16 are much better in this regard, you mostly just use the mouse during startup. Keyboard is really only used for typing in MP chat if you have your HOTAS sensibly bound.

I had the same problem as you and I dealt with it by bringing a small table next my chair for the mouse and propping my keyboard vertically with a stand, at the very front of the desk, so the keys are just behind the MFDs and are still reachable.

This is is a pic from a little while ago, kinda messy, but you get the idea. e3909d3ad435c911e1143810e954953d.jpg

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Harker,

Very nice setup. Small side table for mouse good idea. What did you use for a stand to prop of the keyboard? If you can please send me a picture private message.

Thanks

Nothing special. In the picture, there's a speaker like the ones you see, but horizontal, behind the keyboard, to prop it up and the speaker is resting against the monitor stand, that's it.

I've cleaned it up a little more, I got a monitor arm with cable inserts now. I actually use one of the boxes from Monstertech to prop the keyboard now. It's just long enough that I can place it between the arm base and the keyboard, works like a charm. I also considered 3D printing a custom stand for the keyboard, but the box works just fine for now.

I have to sacrifice looks for easy of use, since I switch between regular PC use and DCS all the time and I want to move things as little as possible.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro