Trying to decide on a Warbird for Turkey Day Sale

SmoglessPanic

Hello,

I'm not sure which Warbird to go with, I like the P-51 but watching videos it seems a bit neutered in DCS. The only other Warbird I would consider is the 109 but I do not like the K-4 variant I like the lighter F-4.

Back to my question, please don't take this the wrong way. I been watching videos and reading a bit and the Pony seems a bit neutered compared to the other fighters why is that? Is this an variant of the D Mustang? From what I understood the Pony was overall better in all regimes than it's counterparts except for in certain specific scenarios. (I probably wrong it's just what I recall)

I figured I would ask to gather as much info as possible, I will more than likely still go with the Pony as my first warbird but wanted to see if I could get some info from the people who fly her in DCS.

DCS Warbird Wishlist:

F4F-4 Wildcat

F6F-4 Hellcat

P-38-G/J/L (doesn't matter which)

P-47 Jug (Already no the way and I cannot wait)

An excellent ground attack platform and more than capable of A-to-A as well, provided that you know what you're doing and fly to its strengths. "Neutered" and "better in all regimes"? Completely untrue in DCS and RL both. We don't have the high-boost version and some think WEP breaks the engine too easily, but that may just be mismanagement since I've seen lots of folks grossly mishandling the bird doing no warmups before takeoff, etcetera. So I'm of the opinion that it's actually pretty good, although this comes from someone who's primarily a groundpounder with no recent A-to-A activity. So YMMV...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

...but suffice it to say regardless that it's been literally years since I've last blown the powerplant and I do push the bird quite hard at times. So IMO it's actually pretty much OK and I've got no complaints myself.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Hello,

I'm not sure which Warbird to go with, I like the P-51 but watching videos it seems a bit neutered in DCS. The only other Warbird I would consider is the 109 but I do not like the K-4 variant I like the lighter F-4.

Back to my question, please don't take this the wrong way. I been watching videos and reading a bit and the Pony seems a bit neutered compared to the other fighters why is that? Is this an variant of the D Mustang? From what I understood the Pony was overall better in all regimes than it's counterparts except for in certain specific scenarios. (I probably wrong it's just what I recall)

I figured I would ask to gather as much info as possible, I will more than likely still go with the Pony as my first warbird but wanted to see if I could get some info from the people who fly her in DCS.

DCS Warbird Wishlist:

F4F-4 Wildcat

F6F-4 Hellcat

P-38-G/J/L (doesn't matter which)

P-47 Jug (Already no the way and I cannot wait)

In low to medium speeds it will loose by a lot vs bf109 k-4, during ww2 G version of bf109 was the most common fighter which p-51 faced, In that case P-51 looked much better.

If i were you i would buy all birds :)

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

We actually have a pretty low boost version of a P-51D. Unfortunately we don't have 150 octane.

The P-51 isn't the prettiest in air combat, but if used right (and about the only way to), diving from above and get your speed up, you'll be just fine, so long as no enemy players are at a similar altitude to you. That's where a wingman is necessary.

Air combat aside, it's a great beginner aircraft to get used to handling these types of aircraft. Despite its drawbacks, I'd still recommend it, particularly to learn fundamentals.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

We actually have a pretty low boost version of a P-51D. Unfortunately we don't have 150 octane.

The P-51 isn't the prettiest in air combat, but if used right (and about the only way to), diving from above and get your speed up, you'll be just fine, so long as no enemy players are at a similar altitude to you. That's where a wingman is necessary.

Air combat aside, it's a great beginner aircraft to get used to handling these types of aircraft. Despite its drawbacks, I'd still recommend it, particularly to learn fundamentals.

I am reading through Some p-51 manula i found out that some p-51 were cleared for 81" boost i dont remember is it Canadian or Australina air force manual i will be back here later.

Spits IX and Mustang IV were allowed 80" boost with 150 octane fuel in British airforce, same engine in US force was limited to 75" anyone have idea why?

Maybe because of MP gage limit to 75" hehe :P

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I am reading through Some p-51 manula i found out that some p-51 were cleared for 81" boost i dont remember is it Canadian or Australina air force manual i will be back here later.

Spits IX and Mustang IV were allowed 80" boost with 150 octane fuel in British airforce, same engine in US force was limited to 75" anyone have idea why?

Maybe because of MP gage limit to 75" hehe :P

In a particular other game, the P-51D has a different MP gauge that reads higher when 150 grade fuel is selected

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

this is from Royal New Zealand p-51 manual

81" for 5 min when 150 grade fuel used

They had nice p-51s :)

jWLbQ6y.jpg

t7c42gl.jpg

Edited by grafspee

In a particular other game, the P-51D has a different MP gauge that reads higher when 150 grade fuel is selected

Yes i know but sometime it is just easier to drop 5" then retrofit existing p-51 with new gage