Some thoughts on the Bf-109

So, like many others, I've tried out the Bf-109 for free and am on the fence about purchasing it. Firstly, I'll say I like the plane quite a lot and I have no trouble whatsoever shooting down the AI (vs P-51s and Spits), which is sort of what worries me. I understand that in order to get the full experience out of this thing, I'll want the Normandy map, WWII assets, and the campaign. But if the AI is always going to be this predictable for the WWII modules, I'm not sure it's worth bothering with.

I haven't played it in a while, but I remember Il-2 giving me more challenge. I suppose I could always play online, but I'm not ready to be that committed. Unless someone who has played the campaigns with the assets can suggest otherwise, there doesn't seem to be enough single player meat here. Perhaps someone can convince me?

I will say I enjoy the simulation far more than the flight sim "Stalingrad," but the AI in that game seems to provide more of a challenge as well. The bf-109 in dcs feels great! It's a joy to fly. Now I just want a little "game" along with the "sim."

Also, unrelated, but is it normal for these aircraft to accelerate in level flight with the throttle at 15%?

Hmm, I've always found the AI in that other sim to be way easier than in DCS.

Anyway, there are some pretty good multiplayer servers for WW2 out there (LFDM and SoW for Europe) and the BF109 is a nice module, that can compete with the allied birds.

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

Hmm, I've always found the AI in that other sim to be way easier than in DCS.

Anyway, there are some pretty good multiplayer servers for WW2 out there (LFDM and SoW for Europe) and the BF109 is a nice module, that can compete with the allied birds.

Alright, maybe I should dip my toes into multiplayer. It's just quite intimidating considering most will be veterans and I will have to unlearn some bad habits that fighting the AI has taught me. I suppose I can't really say I know what I'm doing until I unlearn those habits, though. Do the servers require normandy maps or asset packs?

Also, unrelated, but is it normal for these aircraft to accelerate in level flight with the throttle at 15%?

15% is not good indication of power setting what was ATA and rpm, what speed plane had in that instant moment.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Alright, maybe I should dip my toes into multiplayer. It's just quite intimidating considering most will be veterans and I will have to unlearn some bad habits that fighting the AI has taught me. I suppose I can't really say I know what I'm doing until I unlearn those habits, though. Do the servers require normandy maps or asset packs?

There are very few servers with wwii only, and even less of them are on Normandy.

There were what, like 5 WWII themed servers around in the past few years or so.

That's not true, there is plenty pilots with not very high skills flying,me for example :P

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

15% is not good indication of power setting what was ATA and rpm, what speed plane had in that instant moment.
I wasn't paying much attention to the first two gauges, to be honest. Speed was around 400km/h. I was ignoring those indicators mostly because I've heard the bf 109 has an automatic governor, and because I've just started using the plane... And because I normally fly jets... And because I was being lazy. Excuses, Excuses. But basically it seems that I can reduce throttle to very near the first maker above idle and accelerate at level flight from nearly any speed to around 450km/h. I don't accelerate as fast, mind you, but I've never experienced something like that.

For me, current damage model disqualifies DCS for warbird combat experience (but we know this aspect is going to change dramatically soon) and content for offline-oriented players is severely lacking at the moment compared to that other sim. Sadly, that also applies to the AI indeed.

That being said, you don't know when next 50% off deal is going to happen (mind you, they're not as frequent here as in that other sim), it seems (judging from newsletters) that we can expect some extra WWII-assets content being released at last in close upcoming months, and, If you decide to try multiplayer anyway, I believe most of the servers use standard Caucasus map to avoid locking out potential players behind a paywall.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

IL-2 but this is one of few games that ED's mods really hate.
Okay, good to know. To be clear, I haven't booted up the newest release of that other sim in a very long time, though I had my fun with it back in the day. I've always considered ED's work to be far more professional, which is why I'd love to see the WWII modules become more robust. I hear there are things being worked on in that direction.

Did anybody notice missing prop disc? A8 has one which adds a lot to immersion and overall visuals.

K-4 has prop disc but very very transparent.

I wasn't paying much attention to the first two gauges, to be honest. Speed was around 400km/h. I was ignoring those indicators mostly because I've heard the bf 109 has an automatic governor, and because I've just started using the plane... And because I normally fly jets... And because I was being lazy. Excuses, Excuses. But basically it seems that I can reduce throttle to very near the first maker above idle and accelerate at level flight from nearly any speed to around 450km/h. I don't accelerate as fast, mind you, but I've never experienced something like that.

I fly bf-109 k-4 quite often, i can say that plane will slow down when throttle is reduced, but because rpm governor is linked to throttle it will reduce rpm to minimal rpm that mean that prop's blades will be at high pitch angle, this is reducing drag by a lot. So K-4 will slow down but not as fast as spitfire or p-51. It always give me feeling that plane is not slowing down :)

There are very few servers with wwii only, and even less of them are on Normandy.

There were what, like 5 WWII themed servers around in the past few years or so.

Yes, but the 2 I mentioned are getting more and more popular. LFDM is almost full every evening and Storm of War is getting up there as well. You should probably get in there right now, before all slots are taken ;)

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

There is only one way to get good in multiplayer and thats by flying in multiplayer. You are probably going to have your ass kicked at first. But you will learn and improve if you are patient and commited. If you are not being shot down then you are not getting better. You have to take risks and try new manuevers/tricks if you want to become good and sometimes that new manuever you try does not work. But you are learning and getting better.

In my opinion multiplayer is the only way to go. the community is very helpful and if you jump on discord/teamspeak(most multiplayer servers have a discord server) and fly with other players they will help you out. What makes multiplayer so much fun is not just the increased challenge of flying againts other people but also fly with team mates.

The multiplayer servers that are most popular use Normandy and assets pack. I would also recommend getting SRS(Its free) so you can communicate with other players in servers that use it(storm of war is one).

Anyway, multiplayer is the only way to go in DCS in my opinion. It's hands down the most fun by far.

Okay, good to know. To be clear, I haven't booted up the newest release of that other sim in a very long time, though I had my fun with it back in the day. I've always considered ED's work to be far more professional, which is why I'd love to see the WWII modules become more robust. I hear there are things being worked on in that direction.

I haven't played IL2 in a while, but I read that the latest patch was supposed to have greatly improved the AI and even the damage model. It seems they're competing with each other (ED and Oleg) now for WW2 dominance, which is a good thing for us.

EDIT: Just noticed that the big patch came out today...

Edited by aleader

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

So, like many others, I've tried out the Bf-109 for free and am on the fence about purchasing it. Firstly, I'll say I like the plane quite a lot and I have no trouble whatsoever shooting down the AI (vs P-51s and Spits), which is sort of what worries me. I understand that in order to get the full experience out of this thing, I'll want the Normandy map, WWII assets, and the campaign. But if the AI is always going to be this predictable for the WWII modules, I'm not sure it's worth bothering with.

I haven't played it in a while, but I remember Il-2 giving me more challenge. I suppose I could always play online, but I'm not ready to be that committed. Unless someone who has played the campaigns with the assets can suggest otherwise, there doesn't seem to be enough single player meat here. Perhaps someone can convince me?

I will say I enjoy the simulation far more than the flight sim "Stalingrad," but the AI in that game seems to provide more of a challenge as well. The bf-109 in dcs feels great! It's a joy to fly. Now I just want a little "game" along with the "sim."

Rule of thumb.. you will never learn anything unless you compete with your peers.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5