DCS F-16 questions

Vinny002

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I aplogise for hijacking the thread, but I did not want to create another one, when the title of this one suits well.

I have a few questions:

1) is there a way to switch between the AA weapons AIM120 - AIM9 - gun using HOTAS? I haven't figure this one out yet.

2) Should the MAN RNG knob on the throttle change radar range when FCR is SOI?

3) I already managed to got my sorry bottom twice into the flat spin / falling leaf situation during dogfight practice, resulting in one R-73 in my forehead and in one ejction 500ft above ground :D. Can someone please point me to correct procedure to get out of it?

4) When using TACAN, even when I correctly tune the right frequency, and switch EHSI to the TACAN mode, I always have the range red placarded. Can there be something I do wrong or is it WIP?

Thanks,

O.

Hello,

I aplogise for hijacking the thread, but I did not want to create another one, when the title of this one suits well.

I have a few questions:

1) is there a way to switch between the AA weapons AIM120 - AIM9 - gun using HOTAS? I haven't figure this one out yet.

3) I already managed to got my sorry bottom twice into the flat spin / falling leaf situation during dogfight practice, resulting in one R-73 in my forehead and in one ejction 500ft above ground :D. Can someone please point me to correct procedure to get out of it?

4) When using TACAN, even when I correctly tune the right frequency, and switch EHSI to the TACAN mode, I always have the range red placarded. Can there be something I do wrong or is it WIP?

Thanks,

O.

1) use the MSL STEP button to move between stations

2) no, it changes the zoom level on the TGP

4) you probably don't have the MIDS LVT switch on.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

1) use the MSL STEP button to move between stations

2) no, it changes the zoom level on the TGP

4) you probably don't have the MIDS LVT switch on.

Thank you for the reply imacken.

Concerning MSL STEP I thought that it is switching only the stations of currently selected weapon type.. But I'll try, thanks.

O.

Thank you for the reply imacken.

Concerning MSL STEP I thought that it is switching only the stations of currently selected weapon type.. But I'll try, thanks.

O.

Hmm, you might be right. Not at my computer at the moment, but give it a try.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hello,

1. Missile types are changed by long press of missile step button, but it's not implemented right now. The gun for air to air is selected in the dogfight override mode simultaneous with missiles. For normal AA master mode there is no hands on select you must change from AAM to GUN manually via OSB press. In AA master mode gun and missile are mutually exclusive selections. I don't remember but GUN may not be selectable in MRM override mode.

2. Classic question about range knob. History is that range knob was for manual input of range estimate for air-to-air gunnery in F-16A. It still selects between two distances in LCOS (700' 1500') based on which half of the rotary range. It never changes the FCR distance selection. Since it is a useful control it has been adopted by other systems made later like TGP for zoom. It also applies a minor air-to-ground mapping radar gain correction so pilot can adjust picture. If only using EEGS (which has no use for range input) then absolutely nothing about a knob called "range" has anything to do with range. It's a historical quirk.

4. Check if T-ILS page shows TACAN OFF or REC. Distance feature requires transmit feature "T/R". SEQ to change TACAN modes. Default mode is receive-only.

Guys, question for you, how do I recover from the flat spin in DCS f-16? Thanks!!

If there are pitch oscillations as well you can try the pitch override switch and rock the F-16 back and forth in sync with the oscillation to increase the amplitude and hence to force the nose down to get her flying again.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Make sure you’ve bound the MPO (Manual Pitch Override) switch to something easy to find with your non-stick hand, presumably left.

Once it’s obvious that you are in a spin or deep stall as indicated by the nose being near the horizon, high rate of descent, not responding to forward stick to bring the nose down, here are the following steps.

1. Throttle Back

2. Locate the Manual Pitch Override switch (in-front and outboard of the throttle) and select and HOLD it. Visually confirm that the switch stays in the override position.

3. In a similar way to how you would get yourself swinging on a swing, rock the nose of the aircraft up and down with pitch inputs. It’s often better start with a full UP input, followed by full DOWN, continue this as you rock the nose up and down. If you time it correctly (like when using a swing) the movement of the nose will get bigger and bigger. Eventually the nose will get low enough that it will be below the AoA limit of 25 degrees and the aircraft will start flying again normally.

4.Once the aircraft has resumed normal flight (vertically downwards) release the MPO switch and then increase throttle and begin pulling out from the dive.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Guys, question for you, how do I recover from the flat spin in DCS f-16? Thanks!!

Cheers,

Vincent

@bbrz: please give me step-by-step instructions? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Not sure if this can help. These are several AVTR recording while doing testing, you can hear the pilot talking to himself about going up and down with the movement of the nose. Just keep in mind this are test aircraft with specific configuration to test the flight control and may not represent operational F-16 flight control behavior. But the video still show proper recovery procedures.

First one is at 6:21, 7:15 is the second example, 8:22: this one seem severe, the pilot had to use the anti spin chute.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3775880&postcount=1143

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 2 months later...