EDGE 340 Mod

Do keep in mind, this 540 is tuned more for racing than aerobatics. There is an Extra 330 that is being co-developed that will be tuned more for the aerobatic side of things.

Also, they are working with the restrictions of DCS EFM capabilities. One major issue is that prop wash is not modeled across control surfaces (primarily tail) in DCS, which affects certain aerobatic maneuvers. Any perceived effect from it is more or less scripted in for certain conditions, but this does not cover everything or at any/all attitudes. This results in some weird maneuvering capabilities that would not happen in real life.

Please, enjoy it for what it is, but do not expect it to be exactly like the real thing. It is still a blast to fly.

Project Edge 540 test pilot

Edited by Shahdoh

I’m really looking forward for this mod! I love air racing!

Also, they are working with the restrictions of DCS EFM capabilities. One major issue is that prop wash is not modeled across control surfaces (primarily tail) in DCS, which affects certain aerobatic maneuvers. Any perceived effect from it is more or less scripted in for certain conditions, but this does not cover everything or at any/all attitudes. This results in some weird maneuvering capabilities that would not happen in real life.

So you mean that only EFM don’t model propwash,right? I mean, in warbirds it is modelled, as far as I know.

Please, enjoy it for what it is, but do not expect it to be exactly like the real thing. It is still a blast to fly.

Project Edge 540 test pilot

So have you tested it? And have you also flown the real one? If so, how close is the simulation to the real one?

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

No, I have no experience in the real one so will not dare to compare it. I was able to perform other test functions to help keep it in "spec" with certain numbers and its viability on the VARS race courses. Also to find bugs and flaws.

And no, not even the PFM warbirds truly model prop wash across the control surfaces fully. If so, turning with rudder on the ground would be more authoritative as well as modeled in maneuvers like a hammerhead. When there is no forward airspeed, being full throttle results in no action on the tail, particularly the rudder (elevator seems scripted to react under certain conditions, but fails to react in others). In real life, or with proper airflow from the prop, this would not be the case, the tail would be pushed according to inputs.

I will correct myself in that the PFM is doing better than it used to in the criteria of prop wash across the tail, but still feels lacking.

That being said, what is capable with the EFM seems to be a far cry from what the PFM can do in this regard.

Thanks for your Edge 540*FM input Shahdoh

I will correct myself in that the PFM is doing better than it used to in the criteria of prop wash across the tail, but still feels lacking.

That being said, what is capable with the EFM seems to be a far cry from what the PFM can do in this regard.

Re: Flight Model - If your team can achieve as good or nearly as good a flight model as the Aermacchi MB-339, Edge 540 will have a lot of thankful fans.

I hope to see some type of release sooner rather than later. I need some good news to get my mind off of some of the severe and dangerous events happening in the world these days.

Thanks.

JJF.

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
Fixing Translation
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

That is something they are working on correcting, but is an EFM prop issue. In single player, or MP on your own aircraft, it is fine. Its only seen on other aircraft in MP. The CE2 had the same issue for the longest time. Looks like they finally fixed it. Hopefully the Edge will be able to as well.

:) :) :)

http://virtualairrace.com/

Release is near:

Days: 1 Hours: 5 Minutes: 30 Seconds: 01

At the time of this message.

:):):)

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

Some additional good news. The MP prop flicker has been fixed as well as the brakes, greatly improving ground handling.

Also, these guys are pulling off things I had been previously told by other mod developer were impossible as far as flight dynamics. You still need to keep expectations in check as things are still not full realistic, but there are some great things going on with the flight model as well.

You'll see soon enough! ;)

Let me be the first to congratulate the whole team on a fantastic job!

Our first user made prop FM!

With appropriate engine sounds!

Thanks guys!

Will have great fun with this one!

Cheers!

540.jpg

5402.jpg

5401.jpg

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

First of all,

Thank you‼

That said, like I wrote in a Youtube comment to which Shahdoh answered, I used to play an air race game/simulator years ago and in some tracks I was good in the rankings. Unfortunately they decided to discontinue the service and it was not playable anymore.

After years, it doesn't feel like I don't remember anything about air racing, but it feels quite hard anyways. Honestly, I wasn't good in Abu Dhabi, with that other game/sim (in which the track was also slightly different): I was about 80th in the World, no idea among how many players in total, and I set my record with the slower Extra 330 because I simply wasn't able to keep the Edge 540 within the track abiding by the rules.

After having tried dozens of times and after having done some vandalistic low level flight in the PG map and the City River Run mission for the SU27 with the Edge, this is the best I made this evening: 1:00.35 with a 2 second penality

${1}

(link in case the player doesn't work:

)

I tried to fly level through the double cones but in some cases I just wasn't able to do so and so I took advantage of the fact that VARS doesn't consider it a violation.

I have to say that most of the laps ended with a wreck like the second lap in the video. IMO the fact that hitting the pylons makes the aircraft exploding hinders the training: if you are not skilled you will crash frequently, so you start, build your muscle memory for 30 seconds, then you crash, you respawn and in doing so you waste other 20 seconds and overall you have spent like half of the time respawning and you haven't had 2 consequent minutes to build your skills. That's why I think that I will use the invincibility cheat just for training purposes.

I would really like if it was possible to make them non-aircraft damaging like in the real World.

I think that if one trains and build skills then virtual air racing can give a lot of fun after some frustration at the beginning.

I also have to say that I didn't use the rudders at all while racing; I heard in a video that the air racers use it to preserve their altitude during the turns when they have a high bank angle, but it didn't seem useful to me; actually, I tend to climb during turns even without rudders, in general.

I've tried some prolonged high angle of attack turns outside the track and it seems to me that using the rudders is a more effective rolling technique than using the ailerons in those situations, but for quick rolls among corners in the track the ailerons are just fine. Real life footage also seems to support this.

I've tried to bring the throttle to idle position and then to quiclky bring it to max and I didn't see any torque effects; I don't know whether this is realistic, but as far as I know virtual air racers keep it at 100%, like I did in the video, and I guess it's done that way in real life, too, so we shouldn't notice those effects anyway.

Well, I will train and I also hope that someone will make other tracks; maybe I will try myself.

Thank you again for this aircraft: I'm really really glad to have it.

Edited by BlackLightning
added the part about the torque

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

We would like to have non-collideable pylons as well, but we also need to register that they are hit when doing so. And trigger zones are not up to the task to do it accurately enough. We do constantly search for solutions to the pylon collision thing. But for right now, this is what we have to work with.

Edited by Shahdoh