Will a 1070 do the job for Oculus VR?

Hi,

I’m looking for opinions (hopefully based on knowledge) about a laptop for Oculus VR DCS away from home….

My first option is a Asus Zephyrus M with a GTX1070 – it has a great form factor and is definitely portable, but I don’t know definitely if the 1070 has the grunt for the VR heavy lifting.

The problem is that to go to a 1080 Max P, either the price shoots up, or the size and weight shoots up. I can’t spend more, but I could put up with extra size and weight, but only if I have to.

So will a 1070 allow a decent Oculus experience for an F/A-18C Case I recovery? Or am I going to have to put up with a 4-5kg monster with a 1080 in order to see the meatball? (CPU and RAM probably won't be the bottleneck)

Cheers in advance,

Phil.

For anyone w/o maxed hardware, this mod will significantly improve VR performance. So you have that in your back pocket.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...79&postcount=1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have a ASUS ROG GL502VS-DB71 15.6 to use when I travel and with Oculus it runs better than my other desktop also running 1070. I guess the ssd and 32gb ram makes the difference here. To be honest a 1070 will always leave something to desire in terms of performance/quality. There are some compromises. But it will run well enough in normal circumstances. The shadder mod is a miraculous god given blessing, and Im able to push pd 1.5 and mssa x2 and high on terrain and water on solo in a modest mission. Multiplayer I drop some things a bit. Im happy and all other games that dont require quantum processing power runs very smooth. Hope it helps.

I have 1070 tbh I think this card is bare minimum for vr in dcs. I run everything pretty much at low except textures and find it's pretty playable with asw always on. Use the above mod, shut down all other apps and use lasso to prioritise dcs.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the opinions, chaps, in the end I tried the Zephyrus M for a week, and although it performed pretty well with DCS, I was a bit concerned about the future proofing of the 1070 and cooling. In the end, I returned it and got a heavyweight laptop with a 1080 (and better connectivity) which is working really well, and has some scope for upgrading memory and HDDs... Turns out my use case was desktop replacement rather than mobile gaming.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Sounds good, I keep my 1070 laptop for work and gaming when I travel and quite frankly Im very happy with it. Of course I dont have the same expectations as a desktop that is fully customizable, but it runs good enough for a distraction. I imagine a 1080 laptop will serve you very well for years.

I’m running a 1060 6Gb with my Rift. Textures are set to high. I’ve made some compromises with antialiasing but I’m getting reasonable frame rates (40’s).

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (OC @ 4.2GHz) | MSI B450 Tomahawk | 32GB G. Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3200 | MSI Duke RTX 2080ti | 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SSD | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Track IR 5 | HP Reverb | TM Warthog HOTAS (with Delta Sim Slew Mod) | TM F/A 18 Stick | TM TPR Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs | Jetseat FSE | Windows 10 Pro

DCS Modules: CA | FC3 | F-86 | UH-1 | Spitfire | P-51D | BF 109K-4 | F-5E | F-14 | F/A-18C | Normandy | Nevada | Persian Gulf