Youtube Video Recording Software

j-tk

I see all these great missions and training profiles being put out by people on YouTube. I was wondering if those of you with lots of experience doing it could tell me what software you use to record it with, especially when switching from cockpit to bomb fall views, while capturing the audio in game as well. And what file type do you record it As? IE, .mov, mp4, wmv, etc.

And lastly, any tricks to recording it in high detail, or do you just default to regular HD in a 1980x1020 Setting? Any other hints and help would be greatly appreciated, as I've had some great teachers both in game, and learned so much from a whole assortment of videos put out there by the community, I'd like to give back on a good, or hilariously bad flight. Thanks!

6D80k38.jpg

Nvidia Shadowplay is excellent in that. It will record everything you see in the screen and the sound you hear. The last update added capability as well to separate the sound from the game and sound from the microphone so you don't get the together.

It will record with H.264 codec (MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) AVC1) in a MP4 container in your selected framerate (30fps or 60fps), resolution (4K, Full HD, HD etc) and then with wanted bitrate.

You can even Live Stream the Shadowplay video to YouTube, Twich etc by login in to service, enabling the streaming in those and then just starting broadcasting in Shadowplay.

The DCS as well allows you to get a full detail rendering recording where the DCS will then render game in full fidelity to maximize the framerate and record it. This way the playback will go in slower framerate if required to get it well captured. Don't know how it works but it is great if you have slower computer and want a highest possible quality.

AMD has similar system for their 3D cards called "ReLive"

You can as well use a FRAPS or similar third party software that is using a CPU and ain't so great as those 3D card using OEM softwares.

And of course lastly, the ultimate best quality you can get is to get a recorder that is placed between the display and 3D card and it will record the whole signal before it goes to display. Costs easily hundreds but is the ONLY way to get video recorded in real time without any affect to framerates or lower quality. You can either get cheaper couple hundred models meant for games with simple Full HD quality, or get just a cinematography ones like Atmos Ninja or such professional recorders that has own SSD slots etc.

Oh.... And Windows 10 allows to record games as well.... It has own Microsoft "Game Record" mode

I would go first for the OEM 3D card ones, then to Windows 10 and lastly even consider any hardware DVR unless you are really investing to such!

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I like the thought of crystal clear capture, but not the thought of hundreds for a dedicated capture card. I've been putting off GeForce Experience as I don't like extra stuff loaded onto the PC, but your the third person to recommend shadow play, and from there it's just learning shadow plays hot Keys? And it does in game Audio? What about flight audio in through discord or TeamSpeak as well, and lastly, what format does it record In?

Thanks for the time on the answers, it's easier to get from a user rather than trying to pull bits from an Nvidia advertisement for it!

Edit saw you answered some of the questions upon closers read, so it's possible to fly the mission with the squad, then open up DSC and add additional audio In? Although I honestly want to just make videos to start about GBU 12s and how they work/find and move once they pick up the laser.

Any hands on tips FRI?

Edited by j-tk
6D80k38.jpg

You might also need some video editing software. I use Sony Vegas products, and you can find them relatively cheap is you look around. Here is one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Movie-Studio-13-Platinum/dp/B00HRQB216/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501591118&sr=8-3&keywords=sony%2Bvegas&th=1

For what you asked before I recommend Shadow Play if you have a Nividia Graphics Card. Shadow play records your game play, game audio, mic audio, and TS/Simple Radio all to one file. You can also separate them out or pick and choose any combination. Then drag those file/s over to your editor (Sony Vegas for me) and get creative. I can even do voice over work in the editor if I'm making a tutorial or want to add some commentary to the captured video. Shadow Play also allows you to set a reach back capture; click mapped key and it will record the last 3 minutes of game play (you can set the amount of time to go back). So you don't have to record your entire flights - do something cool, hit the capture button.

I use OBS for live streams of DCS Youtube, but have never used the record feature. On the live-streams OBS picks up game audio, mic audio, and TS/simple radio audio. Plus you can play cast music at the same time (just watch out for copyright flagging).

[sIGPIC]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/JINX1391/jinx%20f99th%20sig_zps2hgu4xsl.png[/sIGPIC]

"90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C

module there (E3 2017) have never even heard of DCS

or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash."

-Pyromanic4002

I must be a total idiot lol, I tried OB something, and it only wanted to do FLV and gave me warnings about mp4 at 60fps, and then it only recorded black screen when I tried a 1.57 mission. Thanks for all the help and support everyone, going to give shadowplay a trial, I used to waaay back use Windows movie maker to make videos and overlay songs for youtube and friends. I'll try posting my first video on here once I get it done, I have a high Res texture pack that really nicely details the GBU-12s once the fins come out and they start to turn and laser steer in, especially on moving targets.

6D80k38.jpg