How to use SAM ?

BlaizzMC

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, I'd like to know how to use sam in DCS CA, I mean i know how to lock, shoot etc but how to use the Ctrl+F10 view for example ?

Some SAM units (Sa-15, Sa-19) have capable to use with the radar station. Check a old video (DCS: W 1.5.1).

ufQeq_2X614

The same SAM on 1.5.5

7BDXoY1Y_b0

Edited by Silver_Dragon

These videos are outdated. In that, radar view (RShift + F10) you can click with your mouse cursor at a radar contact. If it's in a tracking range, radar beam on screen will move to a target and start designation/lock procedure (8 seconds for Tor, 35 seconds for Osa). Once that is finished, in that same view, the Lock button will light up. At the exact same moment you can launch a missile at your selected target. Or two missiles.

Have in mind, though, that once your targets start beaming you, you will miss a lot, ie. radar will lose a lock. Which is quite ridiculous, BTW, because, when you aim high, there is no Doppler effect for radar...

These videos are outdated. In that, radar view (RShift + F10) you can click with your mouse cursor at a radar contact. If it's in a tracking range, radar beam on screen will move to a target and start designation/lock procedure (8 seconds for Tor, 35 seconds for Osa). Once that is finished, in that same view, the Lock button will light up. At the exact same moment you can launch a missile at your selected target. Or two missiles.

Have in mind, though, that once your targets start beaming you, you will miss a lot, ie. radar will lose a lock. Which is quite ridiculous, BTW, because, when you aim high, there is no Doppler effect for radar...

Thanks for the update. Didn't played CA for a while. Any other interesting news/ updates?

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CA is slowly, but steadily being improved. As far as I've noticed, mainly in the area of gun sights, aiming and such. Non-arcade targeting systems are being improved. Weapons available, too. Although it has a long way to go, it is quite different than, say, two years ago.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Retrofly.

There are a couple ways to go for that, easiest route is probably:

In your server settings, enable Fog of War (which will cause the F10 map to only show enemy units detected by friendly RADARS/ground forces.)

Now somebody just occupies a blue slot, sits in the F10 map, and calls contacts.

If you want to go at it hardcore, there's a great 3rd party app called LotATC which will give you more realistic options that don't need to affect the entire server. You can find it here:

https://www.lotatc.com/

q8nMZrS2fEQ

Second video up above.

Target should be inside "lockable" range in the Radar view (RCtrl+F10).

You will see beam rotating on the screen (with entire turret on the outside) and the system operators will work on obtaining a firing solution - for example - 8 seconds for Tor, 25+ seconds for Osa. Once solution is obtained, Lock button will light up and you can shoot your missile. During all this time, AAA/SAM system will follow the target (including F1 view also), until a lock is lost.