AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody know if the nozzle stop will be modelled? Couldn't seem to find anything mentioning it.

It is shown in this documentary as the pilot sets it to 55 degrees before takeoff to prevent the nozzle lever moving any further https://youtu.be/WxzpKtbNKQ0?t=27m59s

The nozzle stop is modeled and functional.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Hi Zeus67,

I have asked this question elsewhere but not received a response as yet so I will ask it here as it is at the very core of this airframes functionality and original design remit. My original question was as follows:

Could you please let me know if the version you have is capable of landing and taxiing on rough ground without becoming bogged down and unable to move on anything other than aircraft pans, taxiways or runways?

The MP/SP campaign I am working on will rely on this particular aspect of operations. I look forward to hearing back from you. Many thanks.

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For Joey45, Are you going to do the Raspberry Ripple on this one, or can you do an RAF Green skin for us?

Ref: the Raspberry Ripple - Yes unless someone dose it first

As for the RAF liveries... Depends IF Razbam do them first or someone else do them.

Otherwise yes.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Razbam can give me the templates in advance so I can do them................... maybe?????

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Hi.

I've just come in the gang today.

As a helicopter guy, I'm excited for this module.

Thank you Razbam. :)

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I wouldn't overestimate the helicopter aspect of Harrier. It's a fixed wing aircraft after all. Most of the time, I would say 95% of flight it'll be flown like a normal jet. I see it more as a faster and less armed version of A-10C as it's a CAS platform. That doesn't change the fact that the remaining 5% of time spent on hovering or doing a short TO/landing will be a blast and the experience from helicopters will come handy for it. I expect controling the Harrier when flying in/out of ground effect or in/out of "translational lift" similar to some extend to a helicopter.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I wouldn't overestimate the helicopter aspect of Harrier. It's a fixed wing aircraft after all. Most of the time, I would say 95% of flight it'll be flown like a normal jet. I see it more as a faster and less armed version of A-10C as it's a CAS platform. That doesn't change the fact that the remaining 5% of time spent on hovering or doing a short TO/landing will be a blast and the experience from helicopters will come handy for it. I expect controling the Harrier when flying in/out of ground effect or in/out of "translational lift" similar to some extend to a helicopter.

If you are used to realistic helicopter controls (collective up-down), the muscle memory kills you in the Harrier... :D

I guess starting as a normal jet pilot is easier in the end, than trying to relearn "hover" with a totally different set of controls. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

It's definitely going to be different, but the ability to handle and understand the impact of ultra-fine adjustment to maintain a precise hover will most likely be an asset.
Not necessarily ultra-fine, but controlled and measured. ;)

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

What happens if you try to use a normal airplane takeoff/landing profile? Does it need to be at least mostly vertical?

It's capable of conventional takeoff/landing. The main limitation that stands out from reading the manual is that of the brakes; they're designed primarily to accommodate the slower touch down speeds of slow/vertical landings.

Two awesome videos featuring moving map and the NAVFLIR.

Fixed the links so the, work in Tapatalk.

Awesome Video btw

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Well.... you could

A) buy it now and wait for it to exit EA to install it

Or

B) buy it now and wait for it to enter EA and have fun with it while you watch it mature.

on ma mobile

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45