AI formations/ aircraft to have "flee" setting

philstyle

I have noticed, flying some of the single player campaigns that each air-battle is a continuous fight to the absaolute death for all the AI involved. This means that the fight will continue, in the same location until one of the two sides has been completely eliminated (all its aircraft shot down). At no point does the AI ever seem to realise that their side is outmatched, and flees from battle, as they did in real life.

This ugly scenario is exacerbated/ drive by four main problems:

Problem 1. Once damaged, individual AI aircraft never flee from the battle. They will continue to fight and maneuver their damaged machine until it is destroyed. This casues AI to remain in the combat area, when in real life they'd be looking to escape. I can understand aircraft with light damage continuing to fight, and I also accept that very heavily damage should prompt a bail-out, but somewhere in between is an area where escaping from combat to land or ditch somewhere safe is a normal and historical behaviour,a nd it's what human players also do.

Fixing this, (i.e. adding a "flee to nearest friendly airfield" behaviour for moderately damaged AI) would also mean we might see battle-damaged AI aircaft attempting to land at various places... which would be nice, and realistic.

Problem 2. AI flight/ formation leaders don't seem to have the abilty to know when their side is at a disadvantage, and to flee from the scene. I'd like to see the AI be able to do a quick calculation something like:

IF, after initial contact, the number of enemy fighters with a height advantage inside a 3km radius is greater than 50% of the friendly number, then all aircraft in the formation are to power dive to the deck (or clouds) and return home at fast cruise settings, but still alert and ready to turn if attacked.

Example: TEAM A with 12 aircraft and a height advantage meets TEAM B, with 12 aircraft. Sometime after contact both teams are reduced to 8 aircraft. However, 5 of TEAM A's aircraft are above the entire fight and thus above all of TEAM B's machines (with height advantage). TEAM B leader realises that the situation is now in TEAM A's advantage, so he orders an egress. All TEAM B aircraft (which are not currently under immediate threat) start a dive for home.

Problem 3. AI don't see aware of where clouds are, and never dive into them for cover. This is a minor issue right now, but could be critical if and when the updated cloud/weather systems are released. WW2 aircraft used the cloud for tactical purposes all the time. Disengaging from battle is a typical time to make use of visual obscurity via the clouds.

Problem 4. AI seem to be able to see all enemy aircraft within some kind of distance bubble, which means that even if one aircraft is trying to flee, the agressors will pursue it relentlessly until it is destroyed, often resulting in mutliple AI all lining up to chase the last enemy aircraft from a battle.

--

Edited by philstyle

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

I feel as though the following two hypothetical group options would go some way to alleviating this:

Escape on Disadvantage

Set a the ratio of friendlies to enemies detected by the group required for it to disengage, as well as a setting for if the group should escape, and then continue its task when no longer being pursued, or RTB.

Escape on Casualties

Set the percentage of aircraft in the group lost required for it to disengage, as well as a setting for if the group should escape, and then continue its task when no longer being pursued, or RTB.

Just my two cents!