External SSD Question

I just bought the Samsung T5 500GB External SSD to switch my DCS World and it's folder over to the new drive to save space for the Original C drive it was on.But now it won't scan for updates anymore,but it still allows me to sign on to my module manager.Is DCS World not compatible with external SSDs.

If that drive is not plugged into a sata port on the mb, she's not going to work very well.

USB 3.0 good for storage, not for apps.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

If that drive is not plugged into a sata port on the mb, she's not going to work very well.

USB 3.0 good for storage, not for apps.

You're effectively shooting yourself in the foot because USB's transfer rates compared to SATA which will be 3 Gbits/Sec to 6Gbits/Sec while USB 3.0 is at 5Gbits/Sec or 2.0's 40MB/Sec! That however is only a tiny part of the equation because all your USB ports run via the USB Controller which will share lanes on the motherboard with other devices - and while the SATA controller usually shares lanes on lower end boards, board makers know that SATA will always be HD data so they share lanes with devices with less demand, while USB can be anything and might be sharing data with lanes you don't want.

A 7200 HDD on SATA 6 will perform better to run an application than a SSD USB3.

---

AJS37 Viggen, F-16C Viper, Adobe Premier.

X56 HOTAS, Ryzen 7, GTX 2070S

youtube.com/leadnapgaming

I am betting that the OP is using a laptop with no option for a second internal drive. I also suspect that the DCS code is assuming that anything plugged into a USB port is not part of the pool of drives to be scanned.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I think I fixed the problem but the shortcuts to DCS World on my new T5 SSD where not working because I sent the Eagle Dynamics folder to my new external SSD without fixing the shortcuts that my Windows OS couldn't detect on my C Drive SSD. By the way i have a gaming desktop,not a laptop.

Edited by Angelthunder

I think I fixed the problem but the shortcuts to DCS World on my new T5 SSD where not working because I sent the Eagle Dynamics folder to my new external SSD without fixing the shortcuts that my Windows OS couldn't detect on my C Drive SSD. By the way i have a gaming desktop,not a laptop.

The guy's are not trying to unset you here Angelthunder, trying to help. List your "full pc spec" and the guy's here can help even more.

You bought a portable T5 SSD drive seen here, next to the solid state drive. The drive you bought is a fast storage device and not for gaming.

Seen here on Samsung

attachment.php?attachmentid=199438&stc=1&d=1544226516

This is the type of SSD drive you need.

Samsung_860_EVO_performance_0.jpg

and this is how it's installed in the case.

She talks about cloning in the video below, you wont be doing that, as your just adding another drive to the system.

Windows 10 - How To Activate New Hard Drives

T5ssd.thumb.jpg.ea89a7dc6774a096aa3b3cd60e2fdded.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

The guy's are not trying to unset you here Angelthunder, trying to help. List your "full pc spec" and the guy's here can help even more.

You bought a portable T5 SSD drive seen here, next to the solid state drive. The drive you bought is a fast storage device and not for gaming.

Seen here on Samsung

attachment.php?attachmentid=199438&stc=1&d=1544226516

This is the type of SSD drive you need.

Samsung_860_EVO_performance_0.jpg

and this is how it's installed in the case.

She talks about cloning in the video below, you wont be doing that, as your just adding another drive to the system.

Windows 10 - How To Activate New Hard Drives

Thanks but the updates now appear since my Windows OS has access to the new portable drive to continue updating my DCS World stable version.Plus my Ibuypower Trace 940 desktop has only one slot for my 120GB SSD with the Windows 10 OS and a spare 1TB HDD.There's Youtube videos out there that show PC Games can be stored in portable SSDs such as the one i bought such as GTA 5 and Games on Steam.
Edited by Angelthunder

Thanks but the updates now appear since my Windows OS has access to the new portable drive to continue updating my DCS World stable version.Plus my Ibuypower Trace 940 desktop has only one slot for my 120GB SSD with the Windows 10 OS and a spare 1TB HDD.

External SSD for gaming? overclockers.com forums (Read the first answer there) -->"cause lag spikes"

DCS on an external drive will not work or will be much much slower to run than how you had it setup before.

External drives are NOT design for gaming.

Get you money back and buy a solid state drive for DCS.

I believe this is your motherboard.

The guy's from Ibuypower here on reddit think so.... YOU need to check this still.

If this is your motherboard you can run (4 x Sata drives) and add a (M.2 drive).

attachment.php?attachmentid=199439&stc=1&d=1544232743

In other words, you can run (2 more internal SSD drives) + (1 M.2 drive ) bring your total to "5 internal drives".

EDIT: IF you use the M.2 port you would lose "SATA_2 port"

So you would have (3 internal sata drives) + (1 high speed M.2)

Use CPU-Z to find out if this is your motherboard or just take a look in the case.

EXAMPLE ONLY

CPU-Z-Mainboard-Screen.png

and to give you another example for speed. I run my OS on the M.2 drive, page file and DCS on it's own SSD.

DCS Load times are 40 seconds, 2nd load is 10 to 15 seconds. ;)

-

PrimeH310.thumb.jpg.d9b611cc1de34523c49039211cdbab1c.jpg

Edited by David OC

External SSD for gaming? overclockers.com forums (Read the first answer there) -->"cause lag spikes"

DCS on an external drive will not work or will be much much slower to run than how you had it setup before.

External drives are NOT design for gaming.

Get you money back and buy a solid state drive for DCS.

I believe this is your motherboard.

The guy's from Ibuypower here on reddit think so.... YOU need to check this still.

If this is your motherboard you can run (4 x Sata drives) and add a (M.2 drive).

In other words, you can run (2 more internal SSD drives) + (1 M.2 drive ) bring your total to "5 internal drives".

EDIT: IF you use the M.2 port you would lose "SATA_2 port"

So you would have (3 internal sata drives) + (1 high speed M.2)

Use CPU-Z to find out if this is your motherboard or just take a look in the case.

EXAMPLE ONLY

CPU-Z-Mainboard-Screen.png

and to give you another example for speed. I run my OS on the M.2 drive, page file and DCS on it's own SSD.

DCS Load times are 40 seconds, 2nd load is 10 to 15 seconds. ;)

-

So if I trade my external SSD,what Internal SSD can I put into my motherboard since I don't exactly want to take out my original WD 120GB SSD that my gaming computer came along with my Windows OS and have to clone and boot.

So if I trade my external SSD,what Internal SSD can I put into my motherboard since I don't exactly want to take out my original WD 120GB SSD that my gaming computer came along with my Windows OS and have to clone and boot.

All you are doing is adding another drive, not replacing your 120GB SSD.

The only thing you need to worry about is having a power connector and sata cable for the new SSD and somewhere to put it in you pc case.

I bought my pc gear separately, MY power supply is modular, some come with all the connections fixed.

You need to just check if you have a power connector for the SSD and if so then get a sata cable.

This is what they look like.

sata-ssd-connections.jpg?itok=WnC5-s0e

See if you have one of those power connectors?? ---> Get a sata cable....

Again, ONLY IF that is your motherboard...? (CHECK)

It would be easier to just throw in the M.2 drive (More expensive) then just activate it in motherboard bios / windows.

This is from the manual (If that is your motherboard..?)

attachment.php?attachmentid=199440&stc=1&d=1544239576

You can see the Samsung is 2280 Form Factor. There are others you can also get .

Do some research first (RTFM)

Know what motherboard and your power supply options are first.

Make a checklist.....:D You know, like the ones we have for aircraft.

M.2-2280.jpg.49e23dd2b9e5838d7a43344c1b314045.jpg

Edited by David OC

All you are doing is adding another drive, not replacing your 120GB SSD.

The only thing you need to worry about is having a power connector and sata cable for the new SSD and somewhere to put it in you pc case.

I bought my pc gear separately, MY power supply is modular, some come with all the connections fixed.

You need to just check if you have a power connector for the SSD and if so then get a sata cable.

This is what they look like.

sata-ssd-connections.jpg?itok=WnC5-s0e

See if you have one of those power connectors?? ---> Get a sata cable....

Again, ONLY IF that is your motherboard...? (CHECK)

It would be easier to just throw in the M.2 drive (More expensive) then just activate it in motherboard bios / windows.

This is from the manual (If that is your motherboard..?)

attachment.php?attachmentid=199440&stc=1&d=1544239576

You can see the Samsung is 2280 Form Factor. There are others you can also get .

Do some research first (RTFM)

Know what motherboard and your power supply options are first.

Make a checklist.....:D You know, like the ones we have for aircraft.

My Motherboard has the M.2 Socket 3 Slot for M Key and 4 SATA 6.0GBs connectors with my Western Digital 120GB SSD connected to the top of the four plugs. Can I use the last two plugs below it to add the new SSD.

Follow David's advice, you are in good hands :thumbup:

USB is not what you want for a DCS drive.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Alright David,I found two SATA Connectors on the back of my desktop and a empty slot below the HDD drive with a tray holder underneath it and two rectangular slots in the back of the motherboard for i guess another SSD slot.The two Sata connectors are already in the default SSD and the hard drive.

If you dare, got to Bios, then usually PCH-Storage Configuration, and check how many Sata Connectors are listed and which are occupied, enabled/disabled etc. .

Most boards, unless really budget to the bone, have 4 Sata conns, most have 6 and 1 or 2 NVMe slots as well. You might see a M2 connector and mounting holes on your mobo, check for those too. They are also a valid option to add another drive, actually even better in any way.

I'd be shocked if you really only had two Sata connecotrs onboard. If you really do, you know which brand and which guy not to trust again, unfortunately.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I had 5 double Vodkas, so bare with me, but have you listed your mobo deatils yet. usually you should be able to read them from the motherboard, vendor, modell, version. Like: Asus Z170 Prime-A Vers.: 1.10 or similar.

That would help a lot to guide yoo

Photos work too ;)

David,i have two SATA power plug connectors that have the SATA imprint on them that are not hooked up to the remaining two slots for additional drives.The other two Sata ports are already hooked up with the Data plug connectors above the empty ports with the HDD and default SSD connected to them. However I don't see any other spare SATA Data plug connectors in the back of the motherboard that I see.Just two big cable connectors that look like the SATA ones and a small square connector that goes somewhere.

Edited by Angelthunder

Angelthunder,

Know idea what country your in, so not sure where you can buy pc parts from.

Spare Sata cables are not generally not left in new pc's, you have to buy one.

Here's an example buying a sata cable on newegg the USA website.

You can buy 2 x straight plug's on the ends or one straight, one 90 degree end.

I'm guessing you could get away with either.

2nd option: Just buy a mounting bracket for 3.5 inch hard drive, that comes with the sata cable. (Do you have one spare 3.5 inch drive bay available?)

Like I said before, you could just get an M.2 drive if your motherboard has the slot spare. They are the quickest and easiest to install into your motherboard.

Is this your motherboard? (SEE PICTURE) It will say H310 - PLUS on the board.

If so I would go with an M.2 drive and put DCS on that super fast drive.

Watch the install video I posted in my other post, it's not to hard to setup.

If we know it's that motherboard? we should be able to tell you if you need to change bios settings to make it work, you might not even need to change anything and just activate it in windows.

If you go with a Samsung M.2

You also install there software and driver.

Magician SSD management utility the drivers are down the page.

Angelthunder,

Know idea what country your in, so not sure where you can buy pc parts from.

Spare Sata cables are not generally not left in new pc's, you have to buy one.

Here's an example buying a sata cable on newegg the USA website.

You can buy 2 x straight plug's on the ends or one straight, one 90 degree end.

I'm guessing you could get away with either.

2nd option: Just buy a mounting bracket for 3.5 inch hard drive, that comes with the sata cable. (Do you have one spare 3.5 inch drive bay available?)

Like I said before, you could just get an M.2 drive if your motherboard has the slot spare. They are the quickest and easiest to install into your motherboard.

Is this your motherboard? (SEE PICTURE) It will say H310 - PLUS on the board.

If so I would go with an M.2 drive and put DCS on that super fast drive.

Watch the install video I posted in my other post, it's not to hard to setup.

If we know it's that motherboard? we should be able to tell you if you need to change bios settings to make it work, you might not even need to change anything and just activate it in windows.

If you go with a Samsung M.2

You also install there software and driver.

Magician SSD management utility the drivers are down the page.

Thanks,I'm going to take back the external SSD to get a refund and get the Samsung Evo 360 500GB internal SSD and the cable to install that since it's cheaper than the M.2 strip.And there seems to be a mounting bracket already inside my desktop below the HDD drive.
Edited by Angelthunder

860 Evo ;)

good choice