Chuck's Guides - DCS Tutorial Library

Charly_Owl

Is anyone else having trouble printing the f18 guide?

I print it in a booklet format to fit my a5 folders but the guide doesn't print the first and last page on the same a4 page as it prints the last page 3 or 4 pages in which throws out all the following pages. this is the first time I have had a problem printing the guides like this. the f14 guide worked like a charm.

Thanks for the guides as I would be no where with out them!

I don't print anything I don't have to anymore, but I used to have to... a lot.

It sounds like you are printing double-sided on a printer with which you must manually turn the pages over to print on the other side.

Depending on the printer and printer software, the process for printing double-sided might include printing even-numbered pages first, from back to front, and then the odd numbered pages on the other side of the pages you just printed. If the software is any good, it will instruct you very exactly how to remove the just printed pages from the printer, how to hold them, so you don't turn them the wrong way, and how to put them back into the paper tray so that the other side of the page is printed correctly.

In such a case, it would could easily be that the first and last pages are not printed until printing the other sides of the paper.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Hi everyone,

I’ve been asked by a few users “when’s the Viper guide coming out?”. Well, not at the moment. I have completed a number of sections already, but many of them are put on the backburner for now since the Early Access state of the F-16 is missing too many core functionalities (some sort of MEL (Minimum Equipment List) so to speak). To list a few:

• Data Cartridge implementation
  • Manual Steerpoint creation capability
  • As a minimum, the following DED pages need to be implemented: CRUS, MARK, DEST, INS, DLNK, MAN, MAGV, BULL
  • The following DED pages are not implemented yet but I can live without them for a first iteration of the guide: TIME, FIX, ACAL, VIP, VRP, CORR, OFP, INSM, GPS, DRNG and HARM
  • As a minimum, the following MFD pages need to be implemented: WPN, DTE, FLCS
  • The following MFD pages are not implemented yet but I can live without them for a first iteration of the guide: TFR, FLIR, HAD, RCCE, RESET
  • Stores jettison
  • Fuel system model completion
  • External lights
  • Targeting pod implementation needs to be completed
  • Lead Computing Optical Gunsight (LCOS)
  • Depressible Reticle
  • Lack of DED INS page makes it impossible to monitor INS alignment status, providing negative training
  • HUD Velocity switch logic implementation
  • Active and Time to Intercept calculations for DLZ (Dynamic Launch Zone)
  • Customizable CMDS programs (not done through a text file)
  • IFF
  • Datalink

After a quick survey of what is currently implemented, these particular items are what is blocking me. While the Hornet early access model allowed basic tasks to be taught (good core functionalities to be expanded upon without much risk of negative training... but with a more restrictive set of equipment available), the early access model of the Viper focused on the availability of ordnance in lieu of core functions I listed above, which makes the Viper more capable operationally speaking (at least on paper) but less functional as a whole. The only way I could circumvent these missing features is to take screenies from another sim, but that would kind of defy the purpose of a DCS guide. Of course, there are many other missing items I have not listed but these do not actively prevent me from creating procedural tutorials. For this reason, I will wait for the Viper to be in a more mature state.

Once again, apologies if that post looked more like some sort of rant. In the meantime, I will be focusing on the upcoming JF-17.

Edited by Charly_Owl

• 2 weeks later...

I just redownloaded the A-10C guide with the added booksmarks. Really cool you are adding those bit by bit to all guides. Concerning the A-10C...that guide has been out for quite some time and with a dang short of 100 pages falls a bit behind your latest guides lengthwise. Do you have plans to go all out on that guide some time in the future, or will it stay at its current scope/level of detail?

Thats great to hear! However, i've got a hunch that the A-10C might get a bigger overhaul in the not too distant future, maybe a higher suite than we currently have, or at least with some additions. At least Wags wording from the recent Mudspike AMA kinda sounds like the A-10C module will get the same treatment like the KA-50. First a visual cockpit update, and after the KA-50 is done maybe a more encompassing update to its systems.

From the Mudspike article:

"

With the upcoming revamp to the Black Shark, we’re seeing a free update to an old module combined with paid DLC to add new gizmos. Do you see this as a viable way of continuing support for all the elder modules in the back catalogue or is this something you need to try out first?

Yes. We will continue to update older content as DCS World grows, and part of that will be updating older aircraft modules like the Ka-50 and A-10C. While we will provide a free update version of these modules to existing owners, we will also provide more feature-rich versions of the module to new and existing users. These more feature rich versions will be offered to existing owners of the module at a substantial discount. Once the Ka-50 and A-10C updates are done, we’ll look at other aircraft to refresh. A big one for me would be an update to the F-5E for example."

Yes, the coming visual update, thats true. But, the wording from the AMA makes it sound like there is something coming for the A-10 thereafter in the future. We'll see.

There is. It’s well documented by wags and has been in news letters. New graphical model=free, new graphical model plus upgraded systems and features = pay. Same goes for the black shark.

As a rule, I usually tell myself that I shouldn't talk about guide overhauls in general, but since I've recently received a number of questions regarding the Mi-8, I thought I should update this old 2016 document I did. Since its early implementation, the Mi-8 got a plethora of cool new systems like the anti-ice system, which is a bit more complicated than we're used to.

Changelog: (8/11/2019)

• Added Bookmarks
  • Further detailed Engines Section
  • Added Ancillary System Descriptions in the Engines Section (Hydraulic, Electrical, Anti-Ice, Fire Protection, KO-50 Combustor, PZU (Particle Separator System))
  • Re-wrote Start-Up procedure
  • Updated Weapon Tutorials
  • Overhauled Countermeasures tutorials with Manual & Program modes
  • Added signal flares procedure
  • Added information on Search Lights
  • Replaced many Russian Cockpit pictures with English Cockpit for clarification
  • Added different takeoff methods
  • Updated Controls Section

Page count went from 110+ to 180+. I think it's time the Mi-8 got the recognition it rightfully deserves. It was one of my older guides (and it shows!) back when I lacked experience, so I tried my best to bring it up to the current standard. It's not perfect by any means, but I thought the Mi-8 needed some love.

Added bookmarks to the following guides:

• Spitfire
  • P-51D
  • Bf109K
  • FW190A-8
  • FW190D-9
  • I-16
  • Yak-52
  • L-39ZA
  • Hawk
  • MiG-15
  • MiG-19
  • F-86 Sabre

At the moment, the only guide remaining without bookmarks is the Harrier's, which will be updated accordingly once JDAMs go live and the page count can be set in stone.

• 2 weeks later...

With Razbam pushing hard with their recent MLO updates for the Mirage, I thought I would show my appreciation by providing a much needed update to the aging document I did a few years back. Lots of new shiny things in there. Here is a list of the noticeable items:

Changelog: (23/11/2019)

• Included new cockpit description
  • Expanded radar section & limitations
  • Added INS Precision Bombing tutorial
  • Overhauled Autopilot section
  • Updated Countermeasure section with latest MLO update
  • Updated Radio section with latest MLO update (Greenbox)
  • Cleaned up Weapon & Armament section
  • Added VTB Loadout Display page description
  • Added Takeoff tips
  • Corrected INS Alignment Procedure
  • Added Navigation tutorials for Markpoints, Waypoint Offset (BAD), and TACAN Offset (VAD)

Page count went from 180 to 240+. It's the last stop before the JF-17.

Edited by Charly_Owl

many thanks, this is very useful, as usual.

And your dedication forces respect!

One Typo managed to stay amid all this perfection:

In 3.4 INS bombing pp158

9. Press 2220 on numpad to enter ρ distance offset of 222.0 nautical miles

Should read ... enter theta bearing of 222 degrees

Details:

Asus Z-170E, Intel i5-6600K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM

MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G

Win 10 Home