When I connect my Warthog my computer stops recognising my keyboard

Hi all, bit of a weird one. I just received my Thrustmaster Warthog and CH Pro pedals and now when I switch on my PC my keyboard isn't recognised. So I unplug and replug the keyboard and then it works, mostly. The Z and X keys stopped registering in certain softwares when everything is running but work fine otherwise. Very weird.

Has anyone encountered this before?

p.s. is USB 3.0 actually an issue?

Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5 8600K CPU @ 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 500GB SSD (Exclusively for DCS World), Thrustmaster Warthog, Logitech G Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals. Track IR 5 with Pro Clip. Vaicom Pro.

EASA PPL(A), Glider Aerobatics. Modules: A-10C, F/A-18C, F-5E, Mirage 2000C, AV-8B N/A, Yak 52, Flaming Cliffs 3, Heatblur F14B/A, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle and all but one of the warbirds. Caucuses, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, Channel and Syria.

Shot in the dark but ... Did you try to completely shut down your computer and start using a completely new USB port for you keyboard? (Joystck not connected). Briefly make your keyboard start using a new port, and when it works plug your joystck.

Doing this force the usb driver to reassign addresses. I had a similar issue in the past, but with my phone and the keyboard.

There is a tool called "usbdeview" which can help too;)

You can delete ANY USB that ever was connected on any port, so you get a blank USB table again, "Tabula rasa" in USB world ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting in Device Manager may be enabled.

Start, type Device Manager in the search box, and then click Device Manager in the list of results.

Click to expand Root USB Hub, and then click the Power Management tab.

Click to clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option, and then click OK.

Note: If multiple Root USB Hub inputs are available, clear this option for each of these entries.

Close the Device Manager.

Thanks all, I think I’ve fixed it.

My other question is, is USB 3.0 compatible with the Warthog? I was reading some forum posts about it breaking the Warthog.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5 8600K CPU @ 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 500GB SSD (Exclusively for DCS World), Thrustmaster Warthog, Logitech G Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals. Track IR 5 with Pro Clip. Vaicom Pro.

EASA PPL(A), Glider Aerobatics. Modules: A-10C, F/A-18C, F-5E, Mirage 2000C, AV-8B N/A, Yak 52, Flaming Cliffs 3, Heatblur F14B/A, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle and all but one of the warbirds. Caucuses, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, Channel and Syria.

Thanks all, I think I’ve fixed it.

My other question is, is USB 3.0 compatible with the Warthog? I was reading some forum posts about it breaking the Warthog.

How'd you fix it? In case someone comes googling.

USB3 works just fine. however, some (more than some) have reported that FW upgrades and USB3 don't play very nice together. Others reported no issues. That's the extent of the "problem"

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

How'd you fix it? In case someone comes googling.

USB3 works just fine. however, some (more than some) have reported that FW upgrades and USB3 don't play very nice together. Others reported no issues. That's the extent of the "problem"

A good point. I took Frag’s suggestion and rearranged all my usb assignments and it seems to have solved the issue for now.

And what does FW stand for?

Okay, my keyboard disconnected mid-flight...on final approach when I reached to press G for the landing gear! The Num Lock light was on but the keyboard would not respond to any input. I don't think it's the Warthog.

What would stop my keyboard from working? When I was closing down software (VA, Vaicom, SRS etc.) at some point I heard a bong and then the keyboard started working again. Very weird.

Any ideas?

I would guess, that your mobo is unable to supply enough power for everything. Get a powered USB hub.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I would guess, that your mobo is unable to supply enough power for everything. Get a powered USB hub.

This. Plug throttles into a mobo usb port, pedals and rudder into the hub, plugged into another port, one preferably with a different usb controller.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

If your board features a PS/2 connector, well then, get a PS/2 keyboard and say goodbye to USB errors. That would be my #1 thing if the connector is present.

Good idea with the "not enough power", could well be the case.

USB sux, it plain sux !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

This. Plug throttles into a mobo usb port, pedals and rudder into the hub, plugged into another port, one preferably with a different usb controller.

For my sim pit, the only items plugged directly into the mobo are the keyboard and mouse. Everything else is connected through a powered hub.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thank you all for the suggestions. I suspect you might be right regarding the motherboards ability to power all these devices. I am currently running the warthog, both throttle and stick as well as my rudder-pedals, my keyboard, my mouse, my speakers and my trackIR camera off the PC. Though the Warthog stick is connected at the front of the PC together with my TrackIR proclip.

When this happened there was also a dozen browser windows open for reasons that weren’t clear to me but might have something to do with a conflict in key commands opening additional browser windows. I also had, Teamspeak 3, Voice Attack/Vaicom, Steam, Discord & SRS running simultaneously...

Do I need to be concerned about the power output of a USB hub? If not do you have any recommendations?

Do I need to be concerned about the power output of a USB hub? If not do you have any recommendations?

I am not picky about brands but I try to buy a hub with a power brick that provides no less than .5 Amps per port (i.e. a five port hub should have a 2.5 Amp brick). That ensures that it will provide enough power for most anything I want to plug into it. I also don't ever use all of the ports (i.e. if I need four ports then I will buy a six or seven port hub).

Thank you cichlidfan, that’s exactly what I needed to know :)

My only other concern is about frying my Warthog by plugging it in to something with too much power...

What do you think of this?:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Charging-Individual-Switches-HB-B7C3/dp/B0797NWDCB/ref=sr_1_19_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1544310707&sr=1-19-spons&keywords=powered+usb+3.0+hub&psc=1

That's not bad. As for too much power, it is a non-issue. A power source does not push power, but instead the item connected pulls power. Think of it like the outlets in your home. They are, typically, capable of providing up to 15 or 20 Amps (depending on the circuit breaker). However, when you plug in a lamp that only required 5 Amps, the bulb does not explode because the lamp only pulls what it can use. A circuit breaker trips when the items plugged into the circuit are asking for more power than the breaker is designed to allow, thus keeping your wiring from burning your house down.

EDIT: Btw, I am going to point this out just because. When I was in high school personal computers did not exist. I took four years of electronics classes in three years because the teacher was so damned good. He passed away this year but the things that I learned from him have served me very well, from working on computers to installing new wiring into my house (I experimented on my mother's house as a teen and since it did not burn down I figured that I had gotten it right) ;)

Edited by cichlidfan

Did you update your motherboards chipset drivers to the latest ? (brand and Intel)

Bios version latest.

Does you keyboard use a seperate software package like razer does?

By making sure all your hardware is running on the latest drivers you can almost surely rule out its a software issue.

If you stil have troubles after it might be an idea to use different USB port for the keyboard and the warthog to see if that helps.

And last but not least it could be a faulty psu with powerspikes or underperforming.

g8PjVMw.png