How To Set Up Page File/s DCS World??

Basic info: Intel SSD is my C Drive with Page File set to 20GB, Separate Samsung SSD 850 Pro is dedicated only to DCS World install and currently has no Page File set up on it, GPU has 11GB of GPU RAM, MOBO has 16GB of RAM attached to it.

Q1. Am wanting to know is there any gain to be made by setting up another Page File on the Samsung SSD of say 20GB too?

Q2. If I did this is it ok to have a Page File of 20GB on both of these drives...is it safe to have two drives with a Page File?

Q3. With Windows7 will it use the C Drive page file first before using the one on the Samsung or am I better of just having one page file on the Samsung? How does it prioritise which Page File to use? What is the best way to go about this?

Attached is pic of MSI Afterburner monitor window and Windows Task Manager showing memory use when running DCS World.

Hope someone has some ideas...thx...GAry

2109932261_MSIAfterburnerMemoryValuesx3.thumb.JPG.494f4c48836919e1df48e00baadc6023.JPG

You may have a PF on any of your drives, in any supporetd mode ( fixed, size, system controlled, etc.. ) and also a mix of these.

Windows will pick the drive that "at that moment" is the best for the job.

I would, in your case, set the PF only on C-drive and spare DCS drive, let that drive work for DCS alone if you can.

just my opinion ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 4 weeks later...

Am also trying to understand why it is more of my DDR5 11GB of GPU onboard RAM is not being used more. Often my MOBO RAM is close to full 16GB capacity and Pagefile close to 20GB allocated, yet rarely see GPU RAM much above 8GB or its 11GB capacity??

Bit confused as it is the highest quality RAM of the 3 possible types of memory. Can I change this somehow? Thx Gary

Am also trying to understand why it is more of my DDR5 11GB of GPU onboard RAM is not being used more. Often my MOBO RAM is close to full 16GB capacity and Pagefile close to 20GB allocated, yet rarely see GPU RAM much above 8GB or its 11GB capacity??

Bit confused as it is the highest quality RAM of the 3 possible types of memory. Can I change this somehow? Thx Gary

It doesn't really work that way, besides there would be overheads and likely performance hits.

Currently VRAM usage in SP less complex mission I get about 6.5GB VRAM, if I jump on a MP server depending I get 10GB plus VRAM usage.

Out of that 16GB what does DCS use?

My basic usage 16Gb Total DCS 6Gb plus depending Chrome and some other apps.

You seem to be getting low on system RAM, 32GB may or may not be the answer, maybe don't run anything else when running DCS, however in MP servers DCS can use more RAM.

I would just let Windows manage the VM and as BitMaster says on the boot drive and let it do it's thing.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

How To Set Up Page File/s DCS World??

I would just let Windows manage the VM and as BitMaster says on the boot drive and let it do it's thing.

^ this

modern operating systems do not work the way you think they do. and they definitely do not work the way they did 15 years ago when PF optimizations were the rage.

make sure your machine has 16gb of ram, then get out of the way and then let windows do its thing. the engineers at Microsoft know what they are doing.

Mostly play single player missions when using DCS which I create myself within mission editor.

Sounds like VRAM on 11GB GPU will be needed more when I graduate to multiplayer and even more complex missions. Also my system RAM is DDR3 type so somewhat old...eventually when rebuild PC will go for 32GB DDR6 system RAM so plenty of overhead and speed too...thx all for information...GAry

• 2 weeks later...

20 Gb is a lot of space for a page file. I just looked and mine is less than half of that. Main RAM usage is probably due to Windows background processes and other programs running. God knows Microsoft loves their background processes. 1st, look at your hidden icons on the right side of your task bar, near the clock. Right click and exit any running program you don't really need. Then open your task manager and have a look at what Windows is running. You can suspend or kill a lot of those processes by hand, but an easier way is to use a program from Razer called Cortex. I don't think you have to own or use a Razer product to use Cortex. What Cortex does is suspend or kill unnecessary programs and background processes to optimize memory and processor usage while gaming. On my system it kills or suspends 60+ processes when I launch DCS or War Thunder or IL2 and frees up a couple of Gb of main RAM. Returns everything to its previous state when I end the game. It's free. As for the low GPU RAM usage, I attribute that to some really world class programming by ED. They really seem to pay a lot of attention to resource management and are very stingy with memory and processing. These guys are top notch. My own system is an i7-7700 @3.6 GHz and 16 Gb RAM, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 Gb RAM. The page file is 8.7 Gb and is just whatever Win decided during installation. I don't have any problems running DCS at all. It's VERY smooth. I will admit that I'm pretty new to DCS and haven't really pushed anything very hard yet, but... DAMN this is good. In every way.

things have probably changed but when 2.5 came out I had no page file.

started getting out of memory errors

set page file to system managed.

started getting random crash to desktop.

set page file to manual and same size as ram.

no random crash to desktop.

so I run a 16gb pagefile. on a drive separate to the OS and DCS.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.