Any experience with Samsung Odyssey Plus & DCS yet?

fargo007

For all of you with a limited budget as entry level for flight and drive sims this is good for the start. Lenovo Explorer without controllers but fully functional 6DoF inside out tracking for just 120$. For your information it is 1440x1440 110FOV full RGB 4:4:4 LCD displays. It is not OLED but has good clarity because of full RGB 4:4:4. Matrix is the same as Pimax5K+ only different size of the displays.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg-eXxMXw3gIVQZsYCh1GvgfaEAEYASABEgLWoPD_BwE&is=REG&sku=1364658

So there is no excuse for those who want to try VR but not doing nothing. This Lenovo worth more than it is cost and if you like you could switch to something better.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, can you all help me figure out if I should keep this or not?

I've been messing with settings in DCS World for about 2 hours and I'm using the F-18C as my plane. I'm choosing the quick play - start on the ramp with engines running.

The MFDs especially the moving map aren't that clear to read. If I lean forward towards them it gets a little better. Most of the clickable switches are just fuzzy enough to not make them out.

What settings can I run to try and get some clarity around the MFDs & switch labels?

I gotta say the comfort on this thing is dog shit at best. It will need mods asap or you'll have a headache in 15 mins.

I got mine forced on. You can just set it to auto.

How is in here

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220815

Hey, can you all help me figure out if I should keep this or not?

I've been messing with settings in DCS World for about 2 hours and I'm using the F-18C as my plane. I'm choosing the quick play - start on the ramp with engines running.

The MFDs especially the moving map aren't that clear to read. If I lean forward towards them it gets a little better. Most of the clickable switches are just fuzzy enough to not make them out.

What settings can I run to try and get some clarity around the MFDs & switch labels?

I gotta say the comfort on this thing is dog shit at best. It will need mods asap or you'll have a headache in 15 mins.

See my post #94 in this thread, page 10.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

I just wanted to follow up and adamantly thank everyone posting in this thread over the past few pages. I was one of those who tried the Samsung Odyssey+ for a few days and got fed up with it, boxed it up and had it ready to be returned. This was after countless hours of adjusting settings in a seemingly futile effort to get it to work at a consistent 45fps without any stuttering/ghosting when I'd turn my head quickly in the cockpit.

However, after seeing the suggestions some of you posted, as well as viewing some helpful threads you guys linked to, I now have the SO+ back up and running with a consistent 45fps and no stuttering/ghosting whatsoever.

The solution involved doing 5 critical things...

1) Enabling ASW re-projection in the Steam VR beta (Tutorial here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220815)

2) Setting MSAA to "OFF" in DCS settings

3) Setting "Anisotropic Filtering to "OFF" in DCS settings

4) In my NVIDIA Control Panel I decreased "Anisotropic Filtering" from 8x to 4x

5) Changing PD to 1.1 (1.2 and up seems to cause framerate drops for me with the 1070ti)

Now, even with Textures, Terrain Textures and Water all on HIGH, I have consistent 45fps with absolutely no stuttering/ghosting. It's not only made the OS+ usable with DCS, but makes me never want to go back to a flat screen for DCS again.

I should also mention that my setup consists of AMD Ryzen 7 2700 CPU, 32GB D4 3000 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1070ti. The new found performance of the SO+, with the above settings, has even alleviated my desire to make the jump to a 1080ti.

I'm a very happy camper. Thanks again!

Which steam vr resolution do you have?

could you try the second mission of the hornet campaign (cas)?

with the specs in my signature I struggle to mantain 45fps and that mission (when near the target) really takes my pc to his knees. And that is regardless of the settings.

Thanks.

Also to use higher settings i have to put my headset in 60hz mode i advice to everyone that struggles to do the same...so the motion vector requirement lowers to 30fps and I cannot notice changes in fluidity.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I'm breaking mine in after setting it up. My steps after letting it install (you just plug it in and go through a brief setup):

1 - Update your graphics card driver. This was the most time consuming part, and could have been done ahead of time.

2 - Sign up for Steam.

3 - Download Steam VR.

4 - In Steam, go to Library, right click steam VR and choose Properties. Select "Betas" on the right. Opt into the steam VR beta.

5 - Perform the reprojection driver tweak on page 8 of this thread. (this is necessary, and is a huge improvement)

6 - Restart it all.

7 - Experiment with your settings as you require. With a 1080ti I did not have to drop MSAA or Anisotropic at all. I did move PD down to 1.3 which really smoothed it out.

I'm in phase 7. Most of all these steps can be done before your O+ even arrives, and I'd recommend that.

Top three observations:

The first thing I noticed, and immediately was the SDE gone, & the colors.

Second was the sweet spot. Yes, it's smaller than the Rift's but I wouldn't say by a lot.

Third, readability. For me, the gauges in the AC were a bit more readable. Not staggeringly so, but a good 15% here.

Fitment - Ask your mom if you were born C section or not. If so, chances are you have a giant punkin' head and this may not fit you so good. My cranium is regular size and I have no issue wearing this. Light bleed for me is different than the rift, but all things considered - equal.

Anyway, I started this thread so I thought it was appropriate that I post my own day 1 experiences and a brief guide for the installation steps I took to close the karma loop.

/Fargo

At which steamvr supersampling do you run?

I have autoresolution (200%) but have dcs p.d at 1.0 and steamvr dcs setting at 70% (equals to 140% total).

I struggle to mantain 45 in every situation also lowering the settings

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

Which steam vr resolution do you have?

could you try the second mission of the hornet campaign (cas)?

with the specs in my signature I struggle to mantain 45fps and that mission (when near the target) really takes my pc to his knees. And that is regardless of the settings.

Thanks.

Also to use higher settings i have to put my headset in 60hz mode i advice to everyone that struggles to do the same...so the motion vector requirement lowers to 30fps and I cannot notice changes in fluidity.

I'll give that mission a try when I get a chance tomorrow and let you know.

Also, how do you change the headset to 60hz?

I'll give that mission a try when I get a chance tomorrow and let you know.

Also, how do you change the headset to 60hz?

in windows reality app -> settings -> display

you can choose between auto/90hz/60hz

At which steamvr supersampling do you run?

I have autoresolution (200%) but have dcs p.d at 1.0 and steamvr dcs setting at 70% (equals to 140% total).

I struggle to mantain 45 in every situation also lowering the settings

Are you running Steam or standalone DCS? My own testing with standalone DCS and the Odyssey showed that the SteamVR supersampling had absolutely no effect whatsoever on DCS, the only thing that made a difference was the PD. I'm not sure if it has an effect on Steam DCS.

My experience so far is consistent with backspace340. Nothing I change in the steamVR slider has any appreciable effect. It's at 226% right now.

I do see a difference in the Hz refresh rate, and don't care for the 60.

I'm getting 45 at pd 1.3 most places in SP, but in MP it drops to 30 for some reason.

Even so, the 30 is smooth. Without the frame counter on, I doubt I'd know.

At this point I have MSAA 2x, AF 16x, and MFAA on in Nvidia.

Going to roll with this for the time being and monitor for better advice. Maybe try the shaders mod in this section next.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Are you running Steam or standalone DCS? My own testing with standalone DCS and the Odyssey showed that the SteamVR supersampling had absolutely no effect whatsoever on DCS, the only thing that made a difference was the PD. I'm not sure if it has an effect on Steam DCS.

I have standalone dcs.

But i notice a difference in visual quality if for example i put dcs settings in steamvr to 50, 70 or 100% (translates to 100%, 140%, 200% of hmd resolution) but no much difference in performance.

Using fpsvr i see that usually my cpu can’t have render time minor then 11 ms (translates to 90fps) but also to 22 (translates to 45fps) but 99,9 in is inferior to 32ms (30fps) and 30% of the time to 16 (60) so i decided to put the headset at 60hz refresh rate.

But cannot understand how many of you reports better framerates with similar or inferior specs and similar settimgs.

Well i am using a mission full of ai units, because if I use the dubai free flight or caucasus free flight mission things change.

So i propose you all to use that mission as benchmark:

The second mission of the hornet challenger campaign...take off from carrier, overfly the flot and register the track and its average and total frames.

I propose also to use equal settings for everyone (just to register the performance) in Dcs and Number of pixel.

On another sim forum (ww2 one) they registered a track and use a similar method to understand the hardware differences, so people can also see if their rig is performing as it should be pr if they have issues in their setups.

Running the F/A-18C Instant Action "Free Flight" over Caucasus as my benchmark, with SteamVR forced to 100%, ASW in the Beta set to On with the code update, and DCS in-game PD only set at 1.2...and I can't even hold a steady 45FPS on this very basic mission. I get constant stuttering any time I move my head or roll, and FPS drops into the 30's.

Settings that matter: 2x MSAA, 2x AF, Shadows Low, Terrain Shadows Flat, etc.

I just got it yesterday and it's been super frustrating so far, but I'll keep tweaking it tonight.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Running the F/A-18C Instant Action "Free Flight" over Caucasus as my benchmark, with SteamVR forced to 100%, ASW in the Beta set to On with the code update, and DCS in-game PD only set at 1.2...and I can't even hold a steady 45FPS on this very basic mission. I get constant stuttering any time I move my head or roll, and FPS drops into the 30's.

I just got it yesterday and it's been super frustrating so far, but I'll keep tweaking it tonight.

You are probably rendering it at 200% * pd 1.2

Set your steam vr video resolution to manual override and see what it suggests for your hardware...for me it suggests 200% but then i run dcs at 70% (application settings) so it is 140% of the hmd resolution...also try to put shadows to flat

I don't think the 30 is a "bad 30" like it would have been in the rift.

If we've turned on WMR/ASW, why is it we expect to see higher frame rates?

I get the 30 too, but it seems more like a recalibration with no perceptible loss of performance.

For instance, taking off from Dubai Intl in an Mi-8, I get 30 fps. Take off in a Huey, and it's 45.

Both seem to be smooth.

I did try the kegetys mod and it does seem to have some positive effect using its stock settings.

In the end for me multiplayer performance is all that matters and I continue to test with that.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

You are probably rendering it at 200% * pd 1.2

Set your steam vr video resolution to manual override and see what it suggests for your hardware...for me it suggests 200% but then i run dcs at 70% (application settings) so it is 140% of the hmd resolution...also try to put shadows to flat

It suggested 200%, I checked the Force Override and set it to 100%.

Still terrible FPS @ only 1.2PD :cry:

I also already have Terrain Object Shadows on Flat, Shadows (the setting on the left column) on Low ...I believe, not certain, that it is either Low or Off for this one.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

It suggested 200%, I checked the Force Override and set it to 100%.

Still terrible FPS @ only 1.2PD :cry:

I also already have Terrain Object Shadows on Flat, Shadows (the setting on the left column) on Low ...I believe, not certain, that it is either Low or Off for this one.

Yes put flat shadow also on the left...my cpu (i9900k struggles with low shadows in Vr..I suspect yours it taking a bad hit).

Try to put pd to 1 in dcs and use steamvr at 140% try that.

You have the same gpu as me so pd should mot be an issue...the issue is the cpu..the problem is that there is no cpu that can run vr in dcs at 45fps in every possible situation with decent settings...and with decent i assume visible range to medium..shadows to low and water to high..under that i feel i can’t go with all the money i spemt on my rig..

Then in 2d i can have all maxed out with no issues....

Edited by VirusAM

I get the 30 too, but it seems more like a recalibration with no perceptible loss of performance.

For instance, taking off from Dubai Intl in an Mi-8, I get 30 fps. Take off in a Huey, and it's 45.

Both seem to be smooth.

I did try the kegetys mod and it does seem to have some positive effect using its stock settings.

In the end for me multiplayer performance is all that matters and I continue to test with that.

Wmr motion reprojection won’t work under 45 fps (30 if you put your screen in 60hz mode) in the same config file where you activate the motion reprojection you can activate an indicator try it.

If you have light blue you are cpu limited ... dark blue gpu limited.... green is ok for 90 fps and red i is mojon reprojection off because your pc can’t mantain 45 fps

I'm seeing the indicator from the panel, it's orange and says 18.x of 11.1 ms. Nothing else after making the config change and restarting steamvr.

Showing pretty steady 45's taking off from Khasab in a Huey and flying around the area there.

I can click on steam VR and see the scrolling graph in the headset. It's staying at 90hz.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I'm seeing the indicator from the panel, it's orange and says 18.x of 11.1 ms. Nothing else after making the config change and restarting steamvr.

Showing pretty steady 45's taking off from Khasab in a Huey and flying around the area there.

I can click on steam VR and see the scrolling graph in the headset. It's staying at 90hz.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality

See near the bottom for the function I believe he is describing with the color coding for bottlenecks.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

exactly...i am referring to this setting

e2f7a2b56d9e63f74dc87d9de6c149b8.jpg

Thank you,

Okay got it. It has to be set to auto, or it doesn't show up.

I learn that it's very much aircraft specific, or at least that's a sizeable variable here. Taking off from Dubai in a Huey, I'm in the blue most of the time. An Mi-8 is in the red most of the time.

I got better performance by leaving it forced on, e.g. example #2.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Both seem to be smooth.

Tried the 60 hz option, and the 30 fps are perfectly fine, feels less smooth than the 90 hz, but for me, this 30 fps mode allow to mitigate the typical fps loss due the only one core usage at high density zones like cities. And in addition it allows to boost all the graphic options ( minus the shadows, which impact the cpu performance ) with insane amounts of pixel density and MSAA 2x activated.

I feel you, but don't give up!

I got fed up with mine after 2 days and multiple hours of trying to tweak it with bad results. I had my SO+ boxed up and ready to be returned. Then I stumbled across this thread and gave it another shot. I'm now VERY happy with the results.

I mentioned it before but here are my settings:

1) Enabling ASW re-projection in the Steam VR beta (Tutorial here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220815)

2) Turn MSAA to "OFF" in DCS settings

3) Turn Anisotropic Filtering "OFF" in DCS settings

4) In my NVIDIA Control Panel I decreased "Anisotropic Filtering" from 8x to 2x

5) In my NVIDIA Control Panel I set MFAA to "On"

5) Changing PD to 1.2 (1.3 and up seems to drop fps below 30 constantly)

6) Shadows in DCS are turned to low, landscape preload set to 50000, ground structure settings are off. Textures, Landscape Textures and Water are all set to HIGH.

With these settings I get 45fps in single player and consistent 30fps in multiplayer. But like Fargo007 mentioned previously, the 30fps in multiplayer isn't necessarily a "bad 30fps", like you'd normally expect. It feels just as smooth as 45fps. What's odd is that when I get up to an elevation above 8,000 my FPS seems to jump back up to 45 and remains there. I have no more stuttering/ghosting while playing and I can now successfully make out other aircraft from quite a decent distance. I've been thoroughly enjoying the game in VR now and couldn't go back to flat screen.

Edited by oldmanflan

Oldmanflan, what cpu and gpu do you have ?

Having a good experience with the rift myself but I wouldn't say now to better sharpness so that I can read fuel gauge in the M2000 from defaut position.

I'm concern that my 1080ti and 7600K aren't going to be enough for an O+...

Thank you

Aorus Z690i, 13600K @5.5ghz, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3600 C16, SSD WD SN850 black, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBRD + MongoosT50 CM2 grip

Oldmanflan, what cpu and gpu do you have ?

Having a good experience with the rift myself but I wouldn't say now to better sharpness so that I can read fuel gauge in the M2000 from defaut position.

I'm concern that my 1080ti and 7600K aren't going to be enough for an O+...

Thank you

1070ti and AMD Ryzen 2700 (benchmarks just slightly better than the i7 7700K). So I think you'd be just fine with the jump to the SO+. I tried the Rift for a few days and the sharpness was simply not good, to me. However, I returned it before spending nearly as much time tweaking settings as I have with the SO+. I'd argue that had I kept the Rift and performed the 6 steps I posted in the above post, the difference between the Rift and SO+ likely would have been pretty minimal, minus the screen door effect, which is simply hardware.

I've considered changing out the 1070ti for the 1080ti but the performance increase is negligible for the price. But when that 2080ti drops in price to make it slightly more reasonable in the coming months, it will be mine. At which point, the SO+ should work very well, even with pretty maxed out settings.

Edited by oldmanflan