Looking for some more BuDs (BUsy DadS) to fly and chat with?

GTFreeFlyer

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could get in on this... Be prepared for me to randomly punch out though to deal with Dad things...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I could get in on this... Be prepared for me to randomly punch out though to deal with Dad things...

Hey Harlikwin! Good to see you over here, and yep, we'd love to have you!

CL30 (BuDs Vandal)

Aka ARFCOM KingAirDriver :thumbup:

i5-9600k @ 5.0 GHz| Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32 GB Trident G.Skill RAM @ 3200 MHz | Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO | Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD | Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2 | SanDisk 1TB SSD | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra Gaming | EVGA G3 850W Gold PSU | Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow Edition | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFC Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift-S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

UK Dad

Hi Guys

I am UK based, but would like to fly with chaps who understand the 'kids' thing. Not sure how the time zones could work?

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

Hi Guys

I am UK based, but would like to fly with chaps who understand the 'kids' thing. Not sure how the time zones could work?

Neal

We are spread out across time zones with a few guys in UK. See original post’s map link. Also, several guys in the US hop on in mornings which works for UK guys. Shoot me a PM if still interested.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Guys this sound a great group.. pity I am on the wrong side of the pond..

Every success to you...

Hey Trubshaw, we’ve got a few from your side on the pond nowadays :)

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Sounds awesome especially if various people host different missions. I like dabbling with the mission editor so it would be nice to have a casual group to share them with to enjoy.

My oldest is hosting a high school grad party this Saturday at our house so maybe you guys have some advice on that too?

Kidding. Sort of lol.

GT looks like a great thing you got started here. I’ll definitely be reaching out as I get closer to home to sort things out!

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Sounds awesome especially if various people host different missions. I like dabbling with the mission editor so it would be nice to have a casual group to share them with to enjoy.

My oldest is hosting a high school grad party this Saturday at our house so maybe you guys have some advice on that too?

Kidding. Sort of lol.

GT looks like a great thing you got started here. I’ll definitely be reaching out as I get closer to home to sort things out!

You wouldn’t be the first to ask about parenting advice. Glad to have you whenever you are ready.

The BuDs concept is pretty good, although I believe, from my experience in squads, that the vast majority of pilots in DCS are either already busy dads or retired. I am starting to wonder, reading this thread, if people are reluctant to join DCS squads because their fear to be the only one with kids and wife constraints while the rest are 16 yo kids? This cannot be further from truth actually. It would be interesting to have some stats on the ED forum but my guess is that average age is likely to be 35 and more.

The total lack of attendance constraint is also something that might be short lived. I am not talking about having to fly 3 days a week of course, this is crazy, but pilots that are showing up in missions once every other month are quickly dragging the group down during the missions because of the time spent to remind them "where is the master arm switch again" just when the situation is heating up. This becomes a bit of an immersion killer that might discourage the ones that fly regularly.

Finally, the most critical element of any squad is the mission designer. There is no squad without him. Ideally, without them. And designing missions takes a lot of time and dedication. It is hardly compatible with being a busy dad. A week work is often required for a 2 hours mission, assuming the mission works. It can be really frustrating sometimes and not always rewarding. Non mission designers do not always realize that. And that can quickly drain down your mission designer if the squad is basically made of pilots that are just jumping in from time to time with no real intention for commitment.

My 2 cents. I hope I am wrong and I wish you guys all the best for this cool idea for a squad.

Snip

I think what draws people in is the fact that many just want to come in and fly a bit, maybe partake in some casual missions and build up their confidence in the platform without having to worry about "holding anyone back."

I ran a very similar type of server a few years back called "The Firehouse" and the same rules applied. Come in, have fun, don't be a dick. Life comes first. It did just fine for the 3 or so years I hosted it until I burned out in the Mission Editor. I'm glad to see that the concept still exists and is building steam. It appeals to me and obviously several others.

Often it's the opportunity to fly together in a multiplayer environment moreso than achieving the mission objectives that sustains interest in the concept for a group like this. I can't remember ever being frustrated by someone bailing at a critical moment in a mission... you just adjusted your strategy and carried on.

Not everyone is going to "merge" and get along and seek opportunities to join into larger groups to take on missions... looks like you just find pockets of other folks in a common discord who have similar interest and set up your own thing for the short term and repeat as necessary. This makes that connection between like-minded people possible.

Not sure why you would come in, dump on the idea and then "wish it luck." It isn't a squad, and doesn't appear to have any ambition to be- In fact if it was I wouldn't be interested.

This thread is more like a shout out to anyone who doesn't want to be in a squad- for all the reasons you've actually alluded to in your post- but still like the idea of flying in multiplayer.

"ENO"

Both of you are correct in every way. I can tell you’re both experienced in the multiplayer arena. Yes, we do have a lot of that “Where’s the master arm switch” happening, but no one seems to mind it. The guys in the group have all been really great with each other, noob to seasoned pro. I don’t know why it works, it just does. Perhaps it is because everyone knows the premise of the group before joining in. It’s a group, a community, not really a squad. Everyone is very like-minded and on the same page when they are together. I would guess the average age is closer to 40-45 in the group based on the intros people put out. Lots of guys are in squads, still fly with their squads, and drop by BuDs whenever they want something more casual. Every simmer needs a good balance of casual play and realistic play. We’ve had several times where BuDs, not affiliated with any other squad, wanted to set up something more formal for a night, so they broke off on their own for the night and had a blast.

Here’s an analogy:

It’s more like we all live in the same neighborhood, and BuDs is the bar in the middle of the neighborhood where we all meet up when we can and figure out what we want to do that night. If nothing else, we just hit the dart boards and pool tables within the bar with whoever is there with us and we have fun.

It’s not like anyone here needs to “join” our group. We aren’t really trying to take anyone from their current group, that is not the intent of BuDs. There are no commitments or requirements. It’s just something to add to your multiplayer toolkit for another option when your current squad or group of friends aren’t around. Perhaps you just need a spot to ask questions and get quicker responses than here within the forums? BuDs is good for that too.

Hope I cleared it up a little.

Cheers guys!

-GT-

Haloo.

I'd be interested in this group... I work slightly anti social hours and am trying to run a Family. A bit of casual DCS would be good fun. I can fly super serious if needed or just bimble along experimenting. An evening spent trapping (or not) in Banklers excellent Case1 mission is time well spent for me. I'm happy to share what little I know as well.

Lemme in!!

Domestos

BTW, Can I use the fact that the lawn is wet to avoid mowing it or will it not harm it?

Edited by Domestos

Haloo.

I'd be interested in this group... I work slightly anti social hours and am trying to run a Family. A bit of casual DCS would be good fun. I can fly super serious if needed or just bimble along experimenting. An evening spent trapping (or not) in Banklers excellent Case1 mission is time well spent for me. I'm happy to share what little I know as well.

Lemme in!!

Domestos

BTW, Can I use the fact that the lawn is wet to avoid mowing it or will it not harm it?

I use the excuse the lawn is too long to mow so too wet probably works too.

"ENO"

I just bought the Tomcat, so I fired up a BuDs server and let everyone know that I'll be in there trying to figure out WTH I'm doing.

One of our other regulars hopped on and decided he wanted to work on the Harrier. We were both doing "our own thing" and were bouncing questions off each other. Then, we met up, and tried to refuel. Of course, I couldn't figure out how to tune the radio to the tanker, so there's that.

But anyway, we would do our own thing, but we would also hang out and fly off each other's wing. I trapped, and he landed the Harrier on the Stennis, lol. Then another guy jumped on, and he loves his Huey, so the three of us quit that and flew Hueys on a dedicated server in a CTLD mission.

BuDs is that exact place to meet-up for chit chat, hilarity, and seriousness. It's whatever you want it to be. No one gets offended if someone has to jump off really fast. We ALL "get" it, and that's the beauty off it.

The closest thing to a "requirement" we have right now is our Air-to-Air event. Everyone that wanted to participate signed up for a slot, and then we just work times to fight out based on everyone's schedule. It's taking weeks, but that's the no-pressure, no-commitment mentality of the group.

Here's this morning's fresh fail from GT and I, lol.

i5-9600k @ 5.0 GHz| Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32 GB Trident G.Skill RAM @ 3200 MHz | Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO | Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD | Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2 | SanDisk 1TB SSD | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra Gaming | EVGA G3 850W Gold PSU | Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow Edition | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFC Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift-S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not dumping on the thread man. I love the concept being a busy dad myself. Just wanted to share what I experienced over the last 10 years. You Don t have to take any of my advice (obviously you won't), just wanted to see your initiative successful based on realistic assumptions. Have fun man.

Not having trouble finding the Master Arm switch myself, but man I had a hell of a time remembering how to bore sight the TGP, among other sundry setups. Every mission I flew with these folks was chill, no pressure, and plenty of space to work out the kinks. Still only getting on during the weekends, but the environment has really helped me become a better A-10C pilot, the premise of BuDs works.

Every time I fly now, I am contributing a bit more to the missions, and having much more fun than I ever did with DCS.

:thumbup:

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Here's this morning's fresh fail from GT and I, lol.

We have no rules in BuDs, which apparently includes public shaming, lol. This is how we roll.

We have no rules in BuDs, which apparently includes public shaming, lol. This is how we roll.

Own the shame, dude. It was hilarious! I got wiped out and loved it.

Next time you'll shame me, lol. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My idea of a squad is kind of like ENO's.. fly, have fun, don't be a !@#$. Fly in a realistic manner (no bomb and bail stuff). And just enjoy winging with your buds. Half the fun of a mission is flying out and flying back checking for damage, etc with the highly probable emergency landing to follow.

I like to design missions. A week is about right for a two hour type scenario. It is very time consuming to build a scenario.

Hi, as a busy dad I would be very keen to join. Jersey, Channel Islands, UK, other side of the pond. I have AV8B (Favourite), F14, F18, F5 and try to fly for at least 1 hour every evening (7PM GMT), a lot more flexibility on Friday & Saturday evening.

I also use Trackir, I have DCS working with SRS (for Hoggit Training), Discord and my most recent enjoyment (much to the wife's questioning looks) is the Hotas Warthog.

PC is i7-8700, 32gb RAM, GTX 1080Ti.

I will contact you. Thanks.

For anyone else interested, you can just PM me directly with a similar intro as above and it will speed things up. Cheers to all.

• 1 month later...

The group has grown quite nicely and we’ve got over 70 now. There are typically 3-4 on at a given time with as much as 10 when it’s busy. There are still some slots in the day where it’s empty, so more are welcome. Just shoot me a PM if the original post looks like something you’d be interested in. We’ve got a great little community of guys who just have fun and/or help each other out. Lots of guys have made friends and taken each other into their other formal squads. In between squad nights, the guys seem to hang out in BuDs for the casual laid back experience to change things up. There’s a different mission and/or training going on each night and a few guys have put up dedicated servers with our favorite missions so that we can play them any time.

Cheers all!

. . . We’ve got a great little community of guys who just have fun and/or help each other out. Lots of guys have made friends and taken each other into their other formal squads. In between squad nights, the guys seem to hang out in BuDs for the casual laid back experience to change things up. There’s a different mission and/or training going on each night and a few guys have put up dedicated servers with our favorite missions so that we can play them any time.

Cheers all!

Can confirm. The mission diversity and folks you can fly with is more than you could ask for. Having a blast in this group. The knowledge transfer regarding all things DCS, however arcane, is outstanding!

I find that if you hang out in a voice channel, or on a map or mission - channel, in no time you will have a few friends in a variety of air frames to get your daily ration of flight, gun runs, and glory . . . some nice night missions also.

:thumbup:

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).