C-101CC DME

dahlgren

Hi Chump, I don't know exactly what you are trying to do. There are no DME stations in DCS, just VOR and TACAN stations (apart from NDB and ILS or RSBN). I guess you know this, but just to make sure, to get distance reading in the C-101CC, since there is no TACAN equipment onboard, you have to use the equivalent frequency to the corresponding channel of each particular TACAN. You have a table in the C-101CC kneeboard.

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

sigpic97175_2_small.pngAERGES-LOGO-sin_fondo_small.png

Hi Chump, I don't know exactly what you are trying to do. There are no DME stations in DCS, just VOR and TACAN stations (apart from NDB and ILS or RSBN). I guess you know this, but just to make sure, to get distance reading in the C-101CC, since there is no TACAN equipment onboard, you have to use the equivalent frequency to the corresponding channel of each particular TACAN. You have a table in the C-101CC kneeboard.
There seem to be a few VOR/DME stations in the Persian Gulf map but maybe they're not implemented.

So, do I have this right? In order to have range and bearing information, you have to be tuned into either a TACAN or VOR-DME for range and an NDB for bearing? So the TACAN / VOR-DME would have to be in pretty close proximity to the NDB be useful.

I'm probably too dense to get it right, but that is also the conclusion I have. VOR/TACAN gives no bearing information in the CC (unlike in EB where you don't need an NDB to have the TACAN bearing), so it is required to tune ADF to outer or inner NDB of airfield, if you're lucky to have some, push the bearing select button to have the indicator pointed toward the NDB, change HSI Heading to this position, change Course on HSI to airfield landing direction, and.... Well, after that I'm completely unable to command any NAV, APR or VOR APR mode (buttons are inoperative), so I missed smtg in the docs, not talking about taking advantage of the ILS listed in CC features, since GS Mode seems to have disappeared.

Training missions are made for EB which doesn't work the same way , unfortunately, and I can't find for the life of me where in the docs can I see how to feed the system with correct bearing information. The inactive nav modes tell me I'm missing something pretty important. I'm a liiiiiiitle lost here :)

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

VOR/TACAN gives no bearing information in the CC
This is my understanding for the CC ...

NDB: gives bearing information through ADF radio

VOR: gives course / bearing information through NAV radio

VORTAC: gives course / bearing / DME information through NAV radio set to DME

TACAN: gives DME information through NAV radio set to DME

The TACAN station equipment on the ground has two parts, one provides bearing and the other one distance.

A VOR station on the ground only provides bearing.

There are also DME stations on the ground to provide distance.

A VOR onboard equipment can receive the distance signal from the TACAN "distance part" of the equipment on ground. And, of course, a VOR onboard equipment can receive also the distance signal from a DME station.

The C-101 CC doesn't have a TACAN equipment onboard, only a VOR.

Therefore, in the C-101CC, to get distance from a TACAN station, you need to tune the equivalent VOR frequency for that TACAN station channel.

In the C-101CC you can get the bearing from a VOR station of course, but not from a TACAN station.

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The TACAN station equipment on the ground ...
And of course there are the VORTAC stations which are obviously combined VOR stations and TACAN stations and give both bearing / course and distance. The Nevada dog fight mission makes use of a VORTAC to help you navigate back to base.

Yes. I was talking about the three types of different equipment on ground. As you say, the VORTAC is a combination on the same site of a VOR and a TACAN, but both work independently.

If you are in a civil aircraft you can get bearing from a VOR and distance from a DME or a TACAN. But you can't get bearing from a TACAN, since the way radials are generated electronically in a VOR and a TACAN work in a different manner.

VOR and DME are civil stations. TACAN is a military station.

If you are in a militar aircraft you can get bearing only from a TACAN unless you have a VOR equipment on board like it's the case in the C-101CC.

Distance measuring part of DME and TACAN are equivalent, that's why you can get distance out of a TACAN with a DME equipment.

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going nuts over here...

I tried in the Caucasus map to set a VOR in the C-101CC and C-101EB.

4YAxBZL.jpg

hUx98rS.jpg

8WQGucB.jpg

Is it normal that I'm not getting any distance information? With the TACAN-to-VOR chart I get a proper distance reading, but not with VORs at all.

Is it a bug or a feature?

Edited by Charly_Owl

• 1 month later...
I'm going nuts over here...

Is it normal that I'm not getting any distance information? With the TACAN-to-VOR chart I get a proper distance reading, but not with VORs at all.

Charly_Owl,

VORs (just radial info) are shown as hexagon icons in DCS. VORDMEs are shown as hexagons inside squares.

hDj3Hqm.jpg

In this image, you can see a VORDME on the left and a VOR on the right.

The VOR (114.25) will only give radial info while the VORDME (128.93) will give radial info as well distance. DME from VORDMEs isn't working in the C101CC in the current version of DCS World.

Shoot to Kill.

Play to Have Fun.

Charly_Owl,

VORs (just radial info) are shown as hexagon icons in DCS. VORDMEs are shown as hexagons inside squares.

I'm not sure they work at all in DCS World for any aircraft. I just tried the M-2000C in Nevada. I get the directional info but no DME info.

I'm not sure they work at all in DCS World for any aircraft. I just tried the M-2000C in Nevada. I get the directional info but no DME info.

It could depend on the avionics in the aircraft. Most civilian nav radios will automatically tune the DME receiver to the correct channel when selecting a LOC/VOR frequency, but this may noe be the case in the M2000.