Need Helicopter Hotas recomendations.

Bro haha i tell u guys my budget is 400ish € and then people recommend the vkb gunfighter mcg pro which is a lil above 400, and then u recommend me a 2k, 3k or 4k hotas? Jk but thats way too expensive, it will cost more than my entire pc.

Well, a VKB or Virpil will cost you around €400 as you say (I have a Virpil WarBRD myself), but MaxFlightStick has a custom cyclic for €600. Of course you would need a throttle too, but since it's intended for helo's you can go for a cheap TM one or something.

The MaxFlightStick I would want, and for which I'm still in doubt:

http://www.maxflightstick.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=115_9002

Again, if you're flying helo's exclusively, then don't go for a self-centered (spring) stick.

Edited by dawgie79

Well, a VKB or Virpil will cost you around €400 as you say (I have a Virpil WarBRD myself), but MaxFlightStick has a custom cyclic for €600. Of course you would need a throttle too, but since it's intended for helo's you can go for a cheap TM one or something.

http://www.maxflightstick.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=115_9002

Again, if you're flying helo's exclusively, then don't go for a self-centered (spring) stick.

Ill have to stick with the vkb mcg pro and remove springs, tighten dry clutch and add an extension.

I really like the mcg pro grip now.

but MaxFlightStick has a custom cyclic for €600.

For what's it's worth I talked with a real helicopter pilot who also flew simulation on his PC. He was of the opinion that there's no specialized helicopter controllers worth the prize buying. Meaning, he wouldn't shell out for any specialized helicopter controllers.

That doesn't mean IMO (as gathered mainly on this forum) that you want a strong spring joystick for helicopters or that you want a Warthog for helicopters.

Edited by -0303-
corrected confusing double negation. You do not want a strong spring (a Warthog) for helis

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Well you know, when I watched the guy in the following vid, I thought it looked really nice, that stick. Smooth, especially because of the hydraulic dampening.

Doesn't need to be MaxFlightStick of course, something comparable. Like microhelis.de, but I read that the quality of those is not all that good.

But if you fly helo's exclusively, I would want a hydaulic dampenend stick, that's for sure after seeing that vid.

rDd9_tAHtXY

Anyway, that's it. :)

Well you know, when I watched the guy in the following vid, I thought it looked really nice, that stick. Smooth, especially because of the hydraulic dampening.

Doesn't need to be MaxFlightStick of course, something comparable. Like microhelis.de, but I read that the quality of those is not all that good.

But if you fly helo's exclusively, I would want a hydaulic dampenend stick, that's for sure after seeing that vid.

Anyway, that's it. :)

Well thats perfect for the huey but not for ka50, not enough buttons at all, I plan on flying all helos ya know. Except the gazelle ofcourse

Well thats perfect for the huey but not for ka50, not enough buttons at all, I plan on flying all helos ya know. Except the gazelle ofcourse

Funny, I bought the Gazelle this Easter sale, and it's a fantastic little helo.

Why not the Gazelle? :)

I've been reassured about the quality of microhelis.de, so I take back what I said about their quality in my previous post.

Then there's another choice: https://www.pro-flight-trainer.com/collections/control-full-sets

Edited by dawgie79

Funny, I bought the Gazelle this Easter sale, and it's a fantastic little helo.

Why not the Gazelle? :)

I've been reassured about the quality of microhelis.de, so I take back what I said about their quality in my previous post.

Then there's another choice: https://www.pro-flight-trainer.com/collections/control-full-sets

Well ive seen some videos of the gazelle and it looks really bad, like arcady. Well studying the ka50 mi8 and the huey is gonna take a lot of time and i dont want spend or almost waste my time on a bad flight model. But i never flew it so maybe its not all that bad but still the others are better.

I use the TM:WH with a 4” homemade extension and 1 of the coils removed from the big spring. I just cut 1 loop off and the heated the coil to make the new top loop flat again. Works great.

I’m working on a cyclic that attaches to the WH’s throttle. Still in the design stage.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

• 9 months later...

Takes me awhile to save up for flight sim kit. But I cam definitely recommend the gear I'm using currently if you don't have a high budget: t16000m mounted to the side on my office chair, Twcs throttle mounted on other side, mfg crosswind pedals. Getting nice pedals really helped with accurately controlling a helo. The Twcs throttle is a great throttle that I may keep using even after I upgrade my stick. It's relatively inexpensive, fairly durable, lots of buttons, and with a tiny application of silicone lube it glides very smoothly. I simply reverse the throttle direction in settings to kinda mimick collective, as pulling back for increase collective and pushing forward for lower collective is fairly close to the actual arm movement in cockpit.

The flight stick I use is fine. I can land on a boat in heavy winds, on a skyscraper, or fit into a narrow street. It reads very precise inputs for the price.

I wish I could afford one of the big boys, but the t16000m is honestly quite good

Banner EDForum2020.jpg