What happened to the RIOs after the Tomcat retired?

sobe

I was wondering what the RIOs did after the Tomcat was retired? I assume that they went on to other Navy positions-what did the majority transition to?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

A lucky few got to transitions to the F/A-18F in the same way that a "few" A-6E pilots & BNs got to transition to the F-14 back in the mid 1990's. the majority found themselves in other Navy aviation experienced jobs (battle Staffs etc). remember the S-3 viking community suddenly found themselves out of a job in a similar time frame.

All the Shooters (officer Yellow shirts) on CV decks and many of the other roles on the ship that require "experience" in aviation, but are NOT actually flying jobs needed filling.

All USN fixed wing pilots (even the E-2 & C-2) have to deck qualify on the Goshawk before being streamed to an aircraft type. When the EA-6B prowler went (crew=4) the replacement F/A-18G only needed 2 crew. So in addition to new pilots/systems officers joining up/training there was a requirement to move some (but only some) of the old Prowler crews across.

perhaps they should all join a Union to fight for their job protection!

• 4 weeks later...