Vulkan API Discussion

snowsniper

I wouldn't expect too much from it, just to be safe. It really depends on how much they are able to refactor the software architecture. A lot of stuff in DCS still runs in one thread.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Forget it. They just moved to the new engine in 2.5, and most likely will stay on it for a long while.

It'll be a while, but Wags already stated that the framework has been created. The work of moving shaders over it hasn't started, but certainly not "forget it...."

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Please don't encourage ED to try and make changes to the graphic engine. Edge t-5 t-6

t-8 or what they are currently up to and the lighting etc. Now vulkan? May I remind you of how long these changes take. Then every aircraft has to be updated and the maps and then a boot full of bugs and fixes and changes and the list goes on.

How do they keep up with the constant changes?

I would like to see all parties catch up their models to the current (whatever that is) version number and have all of the products I have purchased become released, with all the promised features and fixes.

Awaayyaaa think that will ever happen lol. How many modules that have been coded in the last, hmmmmm 10 years have been finished? Seems like the current software development status is put out a offer of Pre-alpha and lots of hype followed by a broken alpha version and then 2-3 year waiting period as several excuses and more hype about how great the next version will be and all the mind-bending features that will be added.

Then another year or so and the alpha version with a huge announcement will be presented but only as a (whats the next version after alpha called, can't seem to keep up with all the jargon they call all the versions.) Pre-early access? and the beat goes on. LOL

I have heard all the explanations. By the way I do not see the F-14 listed in the E shop. With all the ho ray about this I would think I would have seen,heard or mind melded about this. But nada.

Anyway have a great Halloween or what ever your flavor is.

Laz..grouchy as ever.

Please don't encourage ED to try and make changes to the graphic engine. Edge t-5 t-6

t-8 or what they are currently up to and the lighting etc. Now vulkan? May I remind you of how long these changes take. Then every aircraft has to be updated and the maps and then a boot full of bugs and fixes and changes and the list goes on.

They updated the tech-level with the update to DCS 2.5. So to say they switched from a bicycle to a car. The change to vulkan is "just" choosing which car you want to use for getting from A to B. The tricky part is the knowledge/skill of ED if DCS will profit from vulkan or to stay by the cars, if you use a family car(like now) or a sports car. We will see in the future.

I have heard all the explanations. By the way I do not see the F-14 listed in the E shop. With all the ho ray about this I would think I would have seen,heard or mind melded about this. But nada.

Laz..grouchy as ever.

It's there since the reveal stream: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/tomcat/

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

That's kind of a huge point for Vulkan, in that render phase doesn't have to be trapped behind the single threaded parts.

It doesn't have to be, but it can be. It hinges on how the rest of the application is designed.

Come let's eat grandpa!

--snippage--

How do they keep up with the constant changes?

I would like to see all parties catch up their models to the current (whatever that is) version number and have all of the products I have purchased become released, with all the promised features and fixes.

Awaayyaaa think that will ever happen lol. How many modules that have been coded in the last, hmmmmm 10 years have been finished? Seems like the current software development status is put out a offer of Pre-alpha and lots of hype followed by a broken alpha version and then 2-3 year waiting period as several excuses and more hype about how great the next version will be and all the mind-bending features that will be added.

Then another year or so and the alpha version with a huge announcement will be presented but only as a (whats the next version after alpha called, can't seem to keep up with all the jargon they call all the versions.) Pre-early access? and the beat goes on. LOL

Laz..grouchy as ever.

If people followed your mantra, we'd still be playing in VGA. So I want progress and adoption of better technology. Things will break, and bugs will be present.

But I don't want ED to *STOP* early releases as the feedback to the devs can be an incredible gold mind. And people who don't mind the "not yet complete" aircraft can still be enjoyed.

Finally, the *ONLY* operating system that NEVER had a dot release was MS-DOS 5. So living with bugs, in a very complicated platform, is a way of life. But it's not like they go out of their way to break stuff (except the latest key bindings :D) so I'm good with progress.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

will Vulkan's mGPU functionality be supported by or function with DCS World in VR, if anyone in the know can say?

Those of us using DCS in the World of VR are desperately in need of some type of performance increases, and a little light at the end of the HMD tunnel to look forward at would be nice!!

Thanks.

Isn't the low performance of a VR the main reason to switch to Vulkan in the first place? ;)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Well Wags recently stated they are currently working on things for VR to improve performance.

Would be interesting to know what they are, and I sure hope we see some of them in the near future.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well Wags recently stated they are currently working on things for VR to improve performance.

Would be interesting to know what they are, and I sure hope we see some of them in the near future.

+1 yeah. Can ED hold me off from buying the 9900K and 2080TI? It’s all about performance in VR! Time will tell... February 2019 planned to build supercomputer to play Dcs on VR with decent settings! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Well, if VR performance is the most important thing, like me, use DCS 1.5 :D

Saves a lot of money

Yes but that is so, uh, yesterday.

:smilewink:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Wags made this post back in August,

so, would it be possible for someone in the know to give us a little update of how this project is progressing please? Just for curiosity's sake.

Skatezilla or Nine ( dont remember ) said a month ago they finished programming and started converting thousands of shaders.

Time will tell...

Anyway it's not only for FPS in VR guys , it's for populating hundred or thousand of vehicles , aircrafts, ships , etc . in a live war environment.

We need badly a performant dynamic campaign.

Skatezilla or Nine ( dont remember ) said a month ago they finished programming and started converting thousands of shaders.

Time will tell...

Anyway it's not only for FPS in VR guys , it's for populating hundred or thousand of vehicles , aircrafts, ships , etc . in a live war environment.

We need badly a performant dynamic campaign.

Populated missions/ areas are what hit my FPS mainly. So you say Vulkan will help with this?

Yes but that is so, uh, yesterday.

:smilewink:

Virtual realistically speaking, good performance in 2.5 will come in the future, so I guess I'm still living in the present :smartass:

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Vulkan is likely to help as it should reduce CPU loading for the core being mainly used, though be aware that it’s unlikely to be a case of flick a switch and done. Chances are that ED will learn how to optimise over a period of time post initial introduction.

The other planned change that could help is the standalone server, planned for the end of this year. That “might” de-couple some of the game logic, hopefully allowing the use of a different CPU core.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

... converting thousands of shaders.

Time will tell...

People should just be relaxed it's happening at all, but now, put it in the back closet as far as time goes, it'll be easier, this is something that can't be rushed otherwise it'll look inferior to the previous API, plus the fine tuning into all the lighting/coloring can be a task of it self if you want to make it right!

... it's for populating hundred or thousand of vehicles , aircrafts, ships , etc . in a live war environment.

Exactly and buildings, traffic, street lamps, electrical pylons, cargo, debris and ofcourse Trees!!!

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Look at FPS and CPU usage...

The more objects are on screen the more the difference is visible.

The exciting thing there is to look at the core usage bar graphs at the bottom left. With so many running 8+ core CPUs now a days it will be exciting to see how much improvement we see when all available cores are working together on DCS as apposed to just one getting pegged out all the time while the other sit nearly idle.

The exciting thing there is to look at the core usage bar graphs at the bottom left. With so many running 8+ core CPUs now a days it will be exciting to see how much improvement we see when all available cores are working together on DCS as apposed to just one getting pegged out all the time while the other sit nearly idle.

Don't know if we will get multi-thread with Vulkan ... maybe it will come later.

Don't know if we will get multi-thread with Vulkan ... maybe it will come later.

Is it possible that ED could gradually rewrite the base code to handle multi-thread as we continue to get updates?

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Is it possible that ED could gradually rewrite the base code to handle multi-thread as we continue to get updates?

It's a major change, something like we are eventually talking about DCS World 3.0 version :D

Not an expert here but I think change the graphic API it's more straight forward than changing a single thread app in a multi-thread one.

That's probably a complete rewrite of major parts of the entire sim.

Come let's eat grandpa!