HORTON Ho229 v4+ by Polychop Simulations

borchi_2b

Btw. I know that there is no evidence of bomb racks for the Ho-229. However, there are drawings showing 4xMk-108 cannons.

Inclusion of the Mk-108 alternative loadout really changes how the aircraft fights (Both against aircraft and ground targets - I've created mods for Il-2 which show this) - so it might be worth it.

The R4M was also proposed, but I think it is less interesting gameplay wise.

Btw. The 1946 jet I always wanted to fly (but no one has made) is the BvP 215... There are fairly detailed surviving design documents (including for things like the layout of the dash board) and it would make a very interesting heavy fighter.

Ugh. Please, don't.

Seriously, what is with the fixation with super-rare (or never-even-produced) super-planes?

Maybe once all the models of which more than, say, 5,000 were made, THEN consider making the paper airplanes. I have a hard time stomaching the thought of servers packed with Me262 and Ho229, but without a Me109G6 anywhere to be found

I have a hard time stomaching the thought of servers packed with Me262 and Ho229, but without a Me109G6 anywhere to be found

that wouldn't be up to who made the module, but to who make the mission for the server. It's the same thing since DCS W exist that is only the mission designer who fill the slots for the missions, but it seems a very difficult concept to pass.

Variety could be only a positive thing, use it in the right way or the bad one is questionable ;).

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

that wouldn't be up to who made the module, but to who make the mission for the server. It's the same thing since DCS W exist that is only the mission designer who fill the slots for the missions, but it seems a very difficult concept to pass.

Variety could be only a positive thing, use it in the right way or the bad one is questionable ;).

The main problem is... DCS doesn't have bf109g6...so its impossible for mission makers to put one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

The main problem is... DCS doesn't have bf109g6...so its impossible for mission makers to put one.

Isn't this getting a little side tracked?

If people want one so bad then there is the option of making your own 3rd party team and creating it yourself :)

Pman

One thing people have big trouble to understand is, that devs don't choose aircraft to model in terms of "gameplay", balancing or even popularity.

The most important aspect is can you get everything to actually produce the module to DCS standards.

That means:

- a licence, if there is Intellectual Property involved

- detailed data to model the exterior

- more detailed data on the avionics, instruments, the fuel system, the electrical system and so on

- and last but not least, detailed and accurate charts and data on the performance of the airframe or better a real life pilot of that plane as a subject matter expert...

I guess you could extrapolate the last from other stuff with some effort, though.

That is not all, consider weapons, integration in DCS World and lots of other things I missed... Now, if someone has all that input above for a Bf-109 G6 go on, ask Polychop Sims or any of your favorite 3rd Party, if they want to do it, or find yourself some CAD Modeler, Systems-Programmer etc. and start your own business, like Polychop did.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

It'll be an interesting module thats for certain! I'd be interested to know how the flight model will be validated as AFAIK no Ho229 flew?

I personally loved the "what if" IL2:1946 scenario so perhaps the Ho229 will open up that possibility in DCS. Me262's and Ho229's vs Meteors and Vampires!

• 2 weeks later...
It'll be an interesting module thats for certain! I'd be interested to know how the flight model will be validated as AFAIK no Ho229 flew?

I personally loved the "what if" IL2:1946 scenario so perhaps the Ho229 will open up that possibility in DCS. Me262's and Ho229's vs Meteors and Vampires!

They had three or four testflights with one prototype, the last of which ended in a crash, probably due to problems with one of the engines, killing the test pilot. Naturally, as the war ended, they never really got to an operational use.

But it is true, it will be hard to get an accurate flight model, as the number of flights and the data for them is very likely not enough to create an accurate model based on those numbers, if they ever did record any and if the records still exist.

• 1 month later...
They had three or four testflights with one prototype, the last of which ended in a crash, probably due to problems with one of the engines, killing the test pilot. Naturally, as the war ended, they never really got to an operational use.

But it is true, it will be hard to get an accurate flight model, as the number of flights and the data for them is very likely not enough to create an accurate model based on those numbers, if they ever did record any and if the records still exist.

if somebody has access to an aerodynamic computer program that aerospace engineers use, wouldnt that be good enough for a AFM? i imagine that would be quite thing to do though, the software costs thousands of dollars no doubt and if theres an engineer around with access to one would take a lot of work to build a flight model in the program i imagine.

“The murder of a man is still murder, even in wartime.”

-Manfred von Richthofen

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see this aircraft as a minimum of an AI aircraft. It will be a challenge to fly. Mmmmm, English Channel scenarios with the Hortens and 262s racing across the channel with vampires and meteors scrambling to meet them! It would be neat to see a P-80 Shooting Star later!

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, a little update on that project.

We received some help and some good advices to collect real data on the Horten. We are about to get over 300 pages of declassified paper soon too. We will evalute them and decide in combination if we have a good source of info or not. I will also try to contact some institution soon too, cause there should be real life data available in some way.

If we can manage to get enough info on the flightbehavior and what it should be, we will probably proceed with that beauty. Untill then it is still on hold. I guess during the first quarter of the Year 2016 we will decide about the fate of this project.

Sincearly

Sven

Wow, that would be so cool! Fingers crossed for you guys and thanks for the update!

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

looking forward to it. Good luck!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Looking forward to it as well :) and I do hope enough information of the right kind comes to hand to make it a worthwhile to proceed with believable product...

Its also one of the WWII era birds I've always admired the lines of - it sure does look purty

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

I'd imagine Northrop Grumman had quite of bit of information for the documentary/test that they did with this craft. I'd buy it for sure and would appreciate something like this over the endless releases of training aircraft. Not sure it would work in the WWII online servers but it would be great to try out if it can be modeled correctly or at least close.

Excellent news to hear, really cool that you share along with us the process and special tid bits of info that you guys are getting like thos declassified docs. What would be cool is if you made the trip out the to smithsonian where the only real life example exists and is currently under restoration.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.