Bit confused about radar?

joebloggs

Well this is only what DCS models...

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I'm new to flight sims and I'm a bit confused about the A10s radar. The thing I want to know is do fighter jets see you on their radar if they haven't scanned you with their radar first? So say you were behind them and they are scanning forwards.

Also, does an enemy aircraft only show up on the A10s radar when the enemy aircraft has painted the A10? I ask because the A10 seems to see every missile launch? I know such terms like painted might not be the best way to describe this but I'm new to this and I hope you know what I mean. cheers!

Just wanted to chime in, but just like what everyone said, the A-10 does NOT have a radar. What you are looking at is the Radar Warning Receiver. Think of it as your eyes in huge dark room and people with flashlights. You can't tell if someone is there unless they turn the flashlight on. However, just because they turn the flashlight on, you can only see where they are relative to you. You have no actual distance measurement, you have relative radar strength (in other words, how bright the flashlight is). So what you are seeing is when other aircrafts' radar is scanning and their radar signals happen to hit your plane. (Someone waving a flashlight in the dark, they may not have seen you yet but you can tell that there's someone there). If the tone changes to a very fast and intense bleeping, it means they have locked on to you and are focusing their radar energy to look at you. Since your A-10 doesn't have a radar, if you fly right behind someone they won't know you're there unless they physically look over their shoulders and see your plane.

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

• 1 month later...

A10 RADAR?!?!

rwr is a completely different thing he shows you where other radars are active and thier beems hitting you its completely passive and recive (radar warning RECIVER) not like radar that is active and make beems

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk