New to the A-10?

Slydog486

Well, I've been convinced. A few moments ago I saw a very kind community member offering to help train new A-10C pilots and was spurred on by his efforts of kindness! I'd like to offer my services as a relatively skilled A-10C pilot. Over the last few months I've finished the A-10C's systems, and have officially learned the entire aircraft inside and out. Now that I've said that, let the "Wait a minute, how did I not know it could do this!? Gah!" moments begin! Anyways, upon completing this task, I'd like to extend an offer to anyone who has recently purchased the A-10C (or had it for a long time, I don't care) to come and join me for a flight where you can become acquainted with your new module(/old module) in a learning environment. Though I understand the reservations of the member who offered to do this for people who had learned the basics, I'm here to cover just that! I'm perfectly willing to teach people how to do anything they'd like to learn, from the absolute basics (Startup, control mapping, and even the basics of flight (such as how lift is generated and how a jet engine produces thrust)) to extremely technical questions, like setting up countermeasures profiles, creating flight plans/using the CDU effectively, engaging SAM sites and AAA properly, dogfighting, etc. Keep in mind that I'm also willing to teach things like terminology, brevity, and combat maneuvers, as well as in flight refueling!

My only requirement for this is that you come to our "sessions" with a few things: Your phone, tablet, or another PC monitor as I may provide links to sites with useful information or study material as we progress; a pad of paper and a pen/pencil. You can use your phone or whatever, but I'd prefer it to be paper and pencil/pen as it tends to be a bit faster to use; please have the aerodrome charts open for taxi references and lastly, please keep the A-10 manual handy as I will most likely give you references so that you can read through and relearn anything you need to in case you forget afterwards. I also ask that you have TeamSpeak 3 and a working mic, although if it's absolutely necessary, I am willing to have you respond through the DCS chat or TeamSpeak chat should you not have a mic. Headtracking and a HOTAS/Joystick and rudder pedals are a nice addition, though DEFINITELY not a requirement for me to help you. Just something to keep in mind!

Thanks to the community member who originally came up with this! I won't mention your name just in case you don't, for some reason, want me to, but again, I couldn't have done this without you!

I've gotten a few requests now, and I'd like to edit this in: If you're interested in learning, I'm on TeamSpeak most days. Just hop in 108.254.190.138 and come down into the channel with me. I'll be happy to set up a time for us to learn.

Enjoy your day everyone,

Slydog486, Veteran DCS Noob

PS - If I get enough requests, I'll find a day that works for everyone and we can do a group training session where we go through as much of the A-10 as we can in one night!

Edited by Slydog486
Added TeamSpeak IP

PC: MSI Z170A M7, i7-6700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3466, (x2) Asus GTX 1070 8GB STRIX [2-way SLI], (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, (x2) WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7,200 RPM, EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W, Windows 10 Home, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass.

Periph: Razer - Black Widow Chroma, Kraken 7.1 Chroma, Seiren, Naga Hex; Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek Pro-Flight Rudder Pedals, (x2) 22" 1920x1080, Bose Companion 5.

This module is such an amazing one that I did not touch for a long time. I did not touch it because I thought there was no way I could ever program all the buttons to my CH products. I also thought there was no way for me to understand everything there was to know about the aircraft.

Remember to take good notes. Those notes are going to help you remember things when you quit flying for a week, a month, or longer. We all dream of flying once a day and keeping our skills in tip top shape. I've just dusted all my stuff off and it is amazing the muscle memory on my HOTAS. Not to mention the notes to remind me of everything.

Though do yourself a favor and at least program your HOTAS, take off and land a couple times, browse the training missions before asking for help. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to help someone who won't help themselves.

People offering training can do a lot to help fast track you to the awesome of ground pounding. Though you have to put some effort into it on your own.

Best of luck.

TeamSpeak IP is now in original post. Stop by and let me know if you're interested.

PC: MSI Z170A M7, i7-6700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3466, (x2) Asus GTX 1070 8GB STRIX [2-way SLI], (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, (x2) WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7,200 RPM, EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W, Windows 10 Home, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass.

Periph: Razer - Black Widow Chroma, Kraken 7.1 Chroma, Seiren, Naga Hex; Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, Saitek Pro-Flight Rudder Pedals, (x2) 22" 1920x1080, Bose Companion 5.

Server Link not working for me

Tried to connect to 108.254.190.138 but got a half displayed Word Press web page. None of the links worked... "Read more", "Games List" etc.. see attached...?

I'm running Viper AV could that be limiting my access?

Don't want to disable it just to connect, and I'm not getting any warnings

Subscribing! Sly, it's been a long while since I fitted out in the A-10C. Will make note to jump on TS soon, and catch one of your training sessions.

Many thanks to a gent like yourself, willing to give to the community. :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Alright, rickberry, you were connecting through TeamSpeak right? That sounds... Incredibly odd... Also, javelina, feel free to stop by just about any time you'd like, I'm on almost every day during the usual hours of the day as well as a lot of time at night. I don't have any "session" times set up, so just stop by whenever and I'll teach you whatever you'd like to know!

• Like 1

You'll need to get TeamSpeak. Here's a link :) https://www.teamspeak.com/downloads Just download it, install it, and open it up. Go to "connections" then "connect". Enter the IP I've posted into TeamSpeak and then any nickname you want and hit Connect!

I'll jump on after I get better at this beast! In the mean time, I'd highly recommend youtube. Bunyap Sims' On the Range series is FANTASTIC.

As are others like Gerry Abbot's videos. But the ON the Range series takes it one step at a time. Very easy to consume.

PS: Bunyap obviously took a lot of time creating these content. So please watch the 15 second ads w/o clicking on the SKIP button. It's the least you can do.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1