HELP: can takeoff in any WWII propeller plane in DCS... except the Spitfire

lwalter

After some training, I managed to smoothly takeoff in the P51, FW190, Bf109, I16, but the Spitfire remains impossible to takeoff :(

I tried all the techniques I used for the other planes: stick completely aft, stick on the right to avoid rolling left, small amount of right brakes, dancing on the rudder, whether applying them all or just combinations of some... nothing works.

The Spitfire keeps turning left like crazy at start.

Does somebody have any advice? Is there one of the other planes I could related to?

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

Spitfire has no tail wheel lock, so technique looks like this.

1. Set max right rudder trim.Elevator trim Neutral

2. make sure that flaps are in up position.

3.Prop at max 3000rpm set.

4. Apply quick and smooth and in one motion boost between +8lb to +18lbs, Do not try adding a little bit then a little bit, just in 2-3 second apply the power.

And can take off easy, be easy with rudder it dont require a lot of deflection.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Thanks to all for your answers!

(@Tom, I don't have any assist on for my WWII planes)

Full right rudder before even increasing throttle was the key!

I also noticed that it had a big tendency to lift its nose very early and that it required lots of trimming even during normal flight.

Are there any good trim settings for takeoff?

I'm assuming quite some nose down at least?

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

Thanks to all for your answers!

(@Tom, I don't have any assist on for my WWII planes)

Full right rudder before even increasing throttle was the key!

I also noticed that it had a big tendency to lift its nose very early and that it required lots of trimming even during normal flight.

Are there any good trim settings for takeoff?

I'm assuming quite some nose down at least?

Elevator trim neutral on gauge.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I think bunting the throttle open is the wrong move. I gently (and I mean gently!) east the throttle open whilst centring the slip gauge with the rudder. Byt the time you get up to 9 boost you should have the tail off the ground (assuming 0 or -1 trim) and on the point of flight. Doing it that way reduces the torque effect and the amount of right rudder to keep it on centre line. I still believe you might drift, but if you arent on the grass or crashing into someone, so what?

Landing is the hard bit imho. :)

Applying the power that way makes things more difficulty.

You want as much prop wash as you can get in spitfire. So rudder corrections are more instant and less laggy.

In real world, 3 point is much better i think, safer etc.In DCS you do it your way :)

Edited by grafspee

For takeoff

Neutral pitch trim

Full right ruder trim

Prop rpm full

Advance the throttle smoothly but smartly to 75%. Apply rudder to counteract the right yaw then left wing drop. It needs a good stamp on the left rudder particularly and the tail will swing a bit.

From videos the real thing needs a lot of rudder before the tail comes up. The way it is in DCS looks exactly right.

• ED Team
I can take off in it just fine - I just can't land the darn thing. Is it recommend to keep it on two wheels like that video above when landing? I always try a three point landing, but always lose control and get wing strikes afterwards.

The essential thing is to land to both wheels without bank. In this case the plane will roll very nice but as the speed bleeds you need to use brakes a bit to preserve steering authority.

This plane can be landed easily even using keyboard instead of pedals. And even with bouncing.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

For takeoff

Neutral pitch trim

Full right ruder trim

Prop rpm full

Advance the throttle smoothly but smartly to 75%. Apply rudder to counteract the right yaw then left wing drop. It needs a good stamp on the left rudder particularly and the tail will swing a bit.

From videos the real thing needs a lot of rudder before the tail comes up. The way it is in DCS looks exactly right.

My spit is yawing to the left on take offs. And i barely touch rudder in take off, only while reving up the engine. full right rudder trim does good job of countering left yaw.

Edited by grafspee

I can take off in it just fine - I just can't land the darn thing. Is it recommend to keep it on two wheels like that video above when landing? I always try a three point landing, but always lose control and get wing strikes afterwards.

I sometimes have bad days even now. But 100mph over the threshold is a good rule, and low. At that point I shut the engine off and hold off till I kiss the ground at about 88mph. It pays to be not high when you shut off.

If you shut off before you kiss the ground, you wont have that bunt from the torque of the engine as you shut off, which is a major cause of the wings bumping.

Im not perfect, particularly after pumping full of adrenaline from a dogfight. But I usually can get a good one now.