DCS: de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito FB Mk VI Discussion

msalama

Can probably get away with a combined slider & two seperates - most of the time you're going to want both engines to have more or less the same output anyway.

Probably so. From experience in other games, differential throttles are useful only in rare cases - extreme stall maneuvers with power on, and when the rudder is damaged. For takeoffs my guess is that starting to roll with half power and then going to full after some speed has been acquired will work just fine. Runways are long enough.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

IMHO separate prop and throttle controls would be very helpful in case one engine fails during takeoff or in case one engine is hit and damaged. Then pilot must react quickly to set appropriately the healthy engine to counter uneven power. If I need the first choose the selector for my levers and then use them it is not as quick as the possibility directly control desired lever(s).

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

IMHO separate prop and throttle controls would be very helpful in case one engine fails during takeoff or in case one engine is hit and damaged. Then pilot must react quickly to set appropriately the healthy engine to counter uneven power. If I need the first choose the selector for my levers and then use them it is not as quick as the possibility directly control desired lever(s).

I will go with separate throttle on my warthog, only question is how to set up prop control, i use friction lever for prop control in other planes, but this is single axis.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Probably so. From experience in other games, differential throttles are useful only in rare cases - extreme stall maneuvers with power on, and when the rudder is damaged. For takeoffs my guess is that starting to roll with half power and then going to full after some speed has been acquired will work just fine. Runways are long enough.

If it comes to realism, problem is that prop and throttle lever are synced at max position, so when you want to set cruise power you are doing it by observing gages and here levers sync is over you will find out that throttle/prop levers are not in exact same position, other "sims" just simplifying this stuff. Bombers crews often observe props visually to sync them to same rpm.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 3 weeks later...

"I will go with separate throttle on my warthog, only question is how to set up prop control, i use friction lever for prop control in other planes, but this is single axis"

I use my coolie hat button, fore and aft, for my throttle control. I use the throttle for my prop controls.

I use mouse look, so I don't need the hat switch to look around. On my jets I use it for slewing the cursor on the targeting mfd's.

"I will go with separate throttle on my warthog, only question is how to set up prop control, i use friction lever for prop control in other planes, but this is single axis"

I use my coolie hat button, fore and aft, for my throttle control. I use the throttle for my prop controls.

I use mouse look, so I don't need the hat switch to look around. On my jets I use it for slewing the cursor on the targeting mfd's.

Set a modifier key and use that for one of the engines then the friction lever will work for both engines.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been wondering what sort of speed the DH98 will be able to do at sea level. The reason for this, is that I've been starting to think about mission building for it and was trying to plan cross-channel timings, etc.. There are some speeds quoted in various places (see references below), but it is never clear what altitude (or variant or load) to which these apply. Only one indicates altitude: 380mph at 13,000ft.

FB.VI has Merlin25s which were optimized for low altitudes and lose power at higher altitudes. Therefore it is quite fast on the deck (350+ mph at 18 boost), but the speed does not increase with altitude as quickly as with the other fighters. In the war they rarely operated higher than 10 kft, and typically under 5 kft.

@Bozon What was the reference for that? Do you know if this was fully-loaded or empty?

Does anyone else have any information for a sea-level speed for the DH98 variant that we will be getting in DCS? Thanks.

References (that I've found)

http://www.211squadron.org/de_havilland_mosquito.html

https://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acdata_php/acdata_dh98_en.php

https://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/aircraft/de-havilland-dh98-mosquito-fb-mk-vi/

I've been wondering what sort of speed the DH98 will be able to do at sea level. The reason for this, is that I've been starting to think about mission building for it and was trying to plan cross-channel timings, etc.. There are some speeds quoted in various places (see references below), but it is never clear what altitude (or variant or load) to which these apply. Only one indicates altitude: 380mph at 13,000ft.

@Bozon What was the reference for that? Do you know if this was fully-loaded or empty?

Does anyone else have any information for a sea-level speed for the DH98 variant that we will be getting in DCS? Thanks.

There are a few historical documents here:

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/mosquito/mosquito.html

The problem with them is that none are in the configuration that we want: Merlin 25s, clean airframe (no external stores), no flame dampers, not the saxophone exhausts, +18 boost data points at sea level. Therefore we must interpolate a bit between them in order to estimate the sea level speed at the configuration we want. This gives 350+something mph at sea level. The “something” depends on your interpolation method.

Edited by Bozon

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

There are a few historical documents here:

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/mosquito/mosquito.html

The problem with them is that none are in the configuration that we want: Merlin 25s, clean airframe (no external stores), no flame dampers, not the saxophone exhausts, +18 boost data points at sea level. Therefore we must interpolate a bit between them in order to estimate the sea level speed at the configuration we want. This gives 350+something mph at sea level. The “something” depends on your interpolation method.

Understood.

Thanks for that link too. That's a nice reference, which will give me some reading/researching to do. Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else jonesing for some more pictures and details?

I cannot wait to hear the engine start up on this.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Anyone else jonesing for some more pictures and details?

I cannot wait to hear the engine start up on this.

you can hear it now, just start up the spitfire :)

you can hear it now, just start up the spitfire :)

Or better yet... 2 Spitfires.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Finally a new plane the Swiss Air Force really used :) After negotiations with the RAF we were allowed to keep the two interned Mosquitos:

• Swiss B-4: De Havilland D.H.98 Mosquito P.R.IV (serial DK310)
  • Swiss B-5: De Havilland D.H.98 Mosquito F.B.VI (serial NS993)

Temporarily the Mosquito B-4 was lent to Swissair for use of mail transfer and received the immatriculation HB-IMO. Later it was returned to the Swiss Air Force.

The Mosquito B-5 was also used as a testbed for the Swiss-Mamba SM-01 jet engine which was later used on our four-engined swept winged fighter EFW N-20 Aiguillon ("Stinger").

60326_9.jpg

b-5-1.jpg

Mosquito-HB-IMO-4.jpg

My Mods: DCS User Files

Modules owned: EVERY Module :pilotfly:

• 2 weeks later...

swr36ew.jpg

Seems like it was only on certain variants/prototypes. Would be an awesome inclusion but maybe not 100% historically accurate for the type ED are making. On the other hand, ability to conduct proper Anti-Ship missions would benefit both DCS:WWII and the Channels/Marianas maps.

On the other hand, ability to conduct proper Anti-Ship missions would benefit both DCS:WWII and the Channels/Marianas maps.

I really hope ED or a 3rd party will make a torpedo plane such as the A20 (flyable), the Beaufighter or the Avenger.

Hope to see them with a correct asset. So I know it's far from us, but with the Corsair and Mariana coming, I really hope to see Hellcat, Helldiver and Avenger for the US and A6M5, D4Y and B5N (or B6N) for the japanese :)

Those 6 plane will make a good asset for a few maps.

Would buy all of them day 1 !

Can the FB Mk VI carry torpedo? Anti-ship missions would be an awesome addition to DCS WWII.

No. Torpedo Mosquitoes were post-war models. There were (post war) carrier capable mosquito models that carried them. I don’t remember if late models land mosquitoes could too.

No torpedo on the FB VI unfortunately, though they could carry 8 x RP-3 rockets with 60lb warheads which were used against shipping

The 60lb warheads were used against soft ground targets. For anti-shipping coastal command preferred the 25lb solid warheads - basically big fast darts that hole a ship from side to side. It was found that their trajectory underwater was better than the 60lbs so it was better for hitting below the waterline. The solid head rockets also did a surprising amount of damage to the internal of the ship. From my understanding it was from the rocket motor that broke off after the penetration and “bounced” inside the hull smashing stuff and maybe also starting fires, while the warhead continued on its trajectory to hole the other side of the ship.

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

tetse mosquito with 57mm cannon would be nice to see from the later mk of mosquito, or the bomber varient that could carry the cookie bomb, that being said the mk 6 being added is sweet and im so excited to see how many of them crash in mp when it releases lmao.