New Player - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
ShouldntBeInAPlane

Default New Player

Well, thought I would say hello to you guys. I'll be lurking around reading the stickies probably all night, haha.

I have very little experience in flight sims. Last flight sim I played was Janes Fighter Anthology and that was like back in the mid or late 90's, haha.

I'm playing off a laptop, Asus g74x. I just bought this game off steam and I couldn't find the manual for it so I think I'll download it tomorrow on the DCS website, I'm sure it's there.

But man, I just did the intro to this game, the first two tutorial missions, lol... I'm sure I'll be learning this game for the next few months.

Also, I bought a cyborg f.l.y. 5. I know it's not the best, but I'll buy a better one around april.

If you got any tips for me, even just quick ones, be it for my joystick or just in general. I'd much appreciate. I'm really confused about the joystick.

The directional view button works, and the center view back to normal works (as well as flight controls and the main weapon fire button) but none of the other buttons do anything. I think I have to load a profile for them? or bind keys, but I dont have a clue as to what to bind to my 11 free buttons.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll see you guys around, have a great night!
ShouldntBeInAPlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
ORboarder

welcome! as you fly the tutorials, take note of the HOTAS control names, and what they do. As you see which are the most important, you will discover which ones you want to bind to where. Its likely someone has the same stick on here, and can help you a little more but read in the manual about China Hat, Coolie Hat, TMS, DMS. Those are some of the main controls you will want to be able to access without looking down. It is very likely you will need to use some modifiers as well.

good luck! have fun! welcome!
ORboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
cichlidfan
Veteran

Welcome.

The manuals should (I don't have A-10 on Steam) be in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DCS A-10C\Doc folder.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
slowhand

JANES FA hell I flew that.Great game in its day.. welcome to the farm..bring beer next time
32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.
TM.Warthog , CV-1,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood
slowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
ShouldntBeInAPlane

Thanks guys, I'll look for those manuals right now

And tomorrow night, I will bring the beer, haha. I just need to figure out the navigate to the store better in my thunder bolt, the tutorial had me navigating before the actual navigation tutorial

Night guys!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
baltic_dragon
3rd Party Campaign Creator

Welcome to the forums and to the Hog my tip is: go to the Wiki page (it is in "stickies"), you will find lots of tutorial videos prepared by people from this community, that will really supplement and enrich the in-game (sorry for the word, but in-simulation sounds wierd) training.

Also, ask any questions you might have here. And as ORboarder rightly said, learn where are all the most important switches (DMS, TMS, coolie etc) and what they do. Makes understanding the forum, tutorials and instructions much easier!
baltic_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
BigShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldntBeInAPlane View Post
Well, thought I would say hello to you guys. I'll be lurking around reading the stickies probably all night, haha.

I have very little experience in flight sims. Last flight sim I played was Janes Fighter Anthology and that was like back in the mid or late 90's, haha.

If you got any tips for me, even just quick ones, be it for my joystick or just in general. I'd much appreciate. I'm really confused about the joystick.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll see you guys around, have a great night!

Hi, and welcome aboard!...I am new to this game as well, I've only had it a few weeks now. As you know it comes with a huge learning curve and is known as a true "study sim" which is a breed of game that had pretty much gone extinct years ago, at least until now .

Here is what I think is the single most important tip for folks like us who are so new to this sim:

1. BE VERY PATIENT with yourself, the game and the tutorials you're about to weed through over the next couple of weeks. Some are not so easy to follow and not all have voice overs. Take it very slow, and one thing at a time.
...for instance..it's going to take you a few days or even a week to get your joystick buttons all setup just the right way to your liking, take a look at some other people's configurations to guide you but in the end it is personal preference and that will take some experience in using the sim to know whats most important to you...therefore it is likely that your setup will change a few times until you get it just right.

As far as joystick types, a full HOTAS system is what you really need for this game if you intend on getting away from the keyboard during combat missions. The Saitek X-52 Pro is about the cheapest FULL Hotas around that has enough buttons, switches and powerful enough software to accomplish some of the more daunting multi-keystroke and timed combinations that await you. Be aware though that you will likely find some driver issues in the beginning.

As far as the game...one thing at a time, and slowly...so spend a few days just learning the plane itself and how to start it, take off, navigate around the map, and landing it. Once you can start, fly and navigate in your sleep then spend another few days just getting to learn the guns and rockets, then another few days learning the Maverick missiles...and so on. Spend lots of time with each weapon getting to know one at a time as well as you can and what it IS and is NOT capable of doing for you out in the field.

There are tons of tips for this game that will help you...but it all starts with the learning process itself so that is why im stressing that aspect. If you rush it, and push yourself into combat too soon you will not enjoy the experience at all.

Also, if you are looking for someone to practice and learn with feel free to shoot me a Private Message on here with your email address and we can get together on voice.

Good luck!!...and enjoy it!

Last edited by BigShot; 02-15-2012 at 01:22 PM.
BigShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
ShouldntBeInAPlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShot View Post
Hi, and welcome aboard!...I am new to this game as well, I've only had it a few weeks now. As you know it comes with a huge learning curve and is known as a true "study sim" which is a breed of game that had pretty much gone extinct years ago, at least until now .

Here is what I think is the single most important tip for folks like us who are so new to this sim:

1. BE VERY PATIENT with yourself, the game and the tutorials you're about to weed through over the next couple of weeks. Some are not so easy to follow and not all have voice overs. Take it very slow, and one thing at a time.
...for instance..it's going to take you a few days or even a week to get your joystick buttons all setup just the right way to your liking, take a look at some other people's configurations to guide you but in the end it is personal preference and that will take some experience in using the sim to know whats most important to you...therefore it is likely that your setup will change a few times until you get it just right.

As far as joystick types, a full HOTAS system is what you really need for this game if you intend on getting away from the keyboard during combat missions. The Saitek X-52 Pro is about the cheapest FULL Hotas around that has enough buttons, switches and powerful enough software to accomplish some of the more daunting multi-keystroke and timed combinations that await you. Be aware though that you will likely find some driver issues in the beginning.

As far as the game...one thing at a time, and slowly...so spend a few days just learning the plane itself and how to start it, take off, navigate around the map, and landing it. Once you can start, fly and navigate in your sleep then spend another few days just getting to learn the guns and rockets, then another few days learning the Maverick missiles...and so on. Spend lots of time with each weapon getting to know one at a time as well as you can and what it IS and is NOT capable of doing for you out in the field.

There are tons of tips for this game that will help you...but it all starts with the learning process itself so that is why im stressing that aspect. If you rush it, and push yourself into combat too soon you will not enjoy the experience at all.

Also, if you are looking for someone to practice and learn with feel free to shoot me a Private Message on here with your email address and we can get together on voice.

Good luck!!...and enjoy it!
Okay, I'm at work reading your post, and after reading all of it, alls I can say is thank you... also, I don't think I'm going to get much done today at work, well at least real work, haha. I'm sure I'll get a few hours of tutorial videos in.

But yeah, I hear yah. I was looking at a video last night and a guy said to take notes and I thought that was a good idea, so I started writing down practically everything.

One thing that worried me was that when I was flying around, it seemed that I had to always keep the nose of the plane down. As in if I let go of the stick, it would start to climb. It seemed to diminish when I went higher in elevation, but I'm not 100% sure about that. I hope it's not my stick or something, I just bought it, but it was a cheap one.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
Melcar

Quote:
As in if I let go of the stick, it would start to climb.
Rather then it being your stick - it's just that you will need to learn to trim.

Default key commands should be:
; RCtrl = Trim: Nose Down
. RCtrl = Trim: Nose Up
, RCtrl = Trim: Left Wing Down
/ RCtrl = Trim: Right Wing Down

Here's an article describing it:
http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_003a.html

Hope that helps some.
Melcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
ShouldntBeInAPlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
Rather then it being your stick - it's just that you will need to learn to trim.

Default key commands should be:
; RCtrl = Trim: Nose Down
. RCtrl = Trim: Nose Up
, RCtrl = Trim: Left Wing Down
/ RCtrl = Trim: Right Wing Down

Here's an article describing it:
http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_003a.html

Hope that helps some.
Okay, so just like my RC cars, the planes have trim, gotchyah. Thanks!