Assigning multiple actions to one button? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-31-2018, 01:38 AM   #11
Tiramisu

Of course you can use third party software, but it is a little bit cumbersome to start them each time, especially when you have to restart them after each restart of DCS to avoid bugs. I have used these kind of emulating software for a long time, but then I got kind of tired of them.
Being able to assign one button to multiple functions would be great, because it would make it possible to use a single button for a switch. Sometimes the devs allow certain key bindings to be used as switch buttons, but in other cases you have to use different key bindings for different states of a switch. So in the worst case you have to use two or even more buttons for only one switch, which is too excessive when your HOTAS only has buttons and no real switches (like my T16000).

Last edited by Tiramisu; 12-31-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Tiramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #12
rwbishUP

Talking Double Time

Would be nice, if you could edit the controls config file. For instance, the pinky trigger could work as wheel brakes for taxi, but also works as the TGP laser firing command while in flight, or when TGP is in use. Just an example.
rwbishUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #13
fudabidu

Have a look at the software that comes with your joystick. It might allow creating key sequences for subsequent button presses.

I know old versions of the Saitek programing suite had such a feature. Not sure about TARGET, Logitech or anyone else.

I'm using a TM Cougar with Foxy and there it just takes one line in the joystick profile to alternate between FOV keys:
Code:
BTN T1 /T - /T =
GlovePIE and AutoHotkey would be two 3rd party solutions I know off. GlovePIE has always been reliable for me, but AutoHotkey seems to be better documented.
fudabidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:26 AM   #14
Sprool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avelis View Post
Here is another good example of why one would want to map multiple functions to the same button:

I would also like it to adjust the console and flight panel lights... one slider to control 2 or 3 dimmers.
I would be very interested to hear if there's a way of doing this, multiple assignments for one rotary axis, especially for the rotary knobs on my X52 - to be able to assign one knob to control level of console, instrument + flood lighting together frees up the other rotaries for more important tasks.
Sprool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #15
Sprool

I tried editing the joystick lua file in the Huey to set all 6 cockpit lights to JOY_RY, but although it shows up in the settings as all assigned to JOY_RY only one of them works (and animates)
Old 05-11-2020, 11:40 PM   #16
Sprool

Joystick gremlin and vjoy are the answer. Sorted.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:12 AM   #17
DimSim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avelis View Post
I would also like it to adjust the console and flight panel lights... one slider to control 2 or 3 dimmers.
Exactly what I wanted to do. All those cockpit lights with independent controls.
Would be nice if aircraft provider simply provided more binding options. If some purist doesn't like it, thinking it's cheating, they can simply not use it.
DimSim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:08 AM   #18
Sprool

I'm with you on that one, the purists can click around the cockpit virtual buttons. If i'm starting from a carrier at night I just want 1 knob to turn on the joystick to get everything I need illuminated. I will set up a second rotary on the stick to control the 3 MFD's separately as their brightness affects gameplay. In the Huey its great to see all 6 cockpit lights turning together
Old 05-13-2020, 04:29 PM   #19
X-31_VECTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprool View Post
In the Huey its great to see all 6 cockpit lights turning together
What are you using to achieve that result? (I know this isn't the Huey forum, but I assume it would apply to Black Shark as well.)

I use a StreamDeck (without any DCS-specific plug-ins yet), and have found that I can't get even a single rotary dimmer to turn using its button pushes. The key commands work correctly on keyboard, but produce no result when sent by the StreamDeck. Light rotaries are the only example I've seen of this, so I was wondering if DCS handles them in some way that is different and makes any sort of key macro-sending device/software problematic.
X-31_VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:01 PM   #20
Sprool

No key-pressing assignments, its all axes; I use vJoy - virtual joystick and Joystick Gremlin together. In vjoy you can assign x,y,z,rx,ry,rz axes (theres also slider1 and 2) of the virtual joystick to one single rotary axis on the X52, then when in DCS you can map the vjoy axes each to one cockpit light rotary each.
VJoy appears in DCS settings a an additional joystick where mappings can be assigned. Joystick Gremlin is the go-between taking your actual physical joystick actions and manipulating them or translating them into signals for vJoy. Possibilities are massive.