AP modes on HOTAS = incorrect usage? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-08-2020, 02:14 PM   #11
X-31_VECTOR

Thanks all! I think the pieces have finally come together for me in understanding the interaction between the AP channels, flight director, trim system, collective brake, and descent mode versus route mode. It seems like you can't really understand one of them without understanding all of them, and despite reading the manual obsessively, I had still introduced some negative learning by unwittingly fighting the systems. (It's also amazing how much misinformation is out there by well-intentioned people who think they understand the systems but actually don't.

I'm sure it will become intuitive with more flight hours. Thanks again for the great supportive community!

Last edited by X-31_VECTOR; 05-08-2020 at 07:06 PM.
X-31_VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:04 PM   #12
Holton181

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-31_VECTOR View Post
I'm sure it will become intuitive with more flight hours.
One can always dream... (said with many years of "experience") ;-)
Seriously, good luck!
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:00 PM   #13
randomTOTEN

Just to clarify for those lurking....
we're not talking about the rotor brake, but the collective brake. X-31 has likely used the wrong term here, as both controls exist in the Kamov.

The rotor brake is the black round knob below the red fuel shutoff levers, it's purpose is to stop the rotor blades after engine shutdown, and to prevent them turning when the helicopter is parked

the collective brake is a lever mounted to the underside of the collective control. It holds the collective position, uses the default [F] keybind, and is what interfaces with the autopilot system.
randomTOTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:05 PM   #14
X-31_VECTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomTOTEN View Post
Just to clarify for those lurking....
we're not talking about the rotor brake, but the collective brake. X-31 has likely used the wrong term here, as both controls exist in the Kamov.
Whoops, yes! Collective brake, not rotor brake. I'll edit original post. Thanks for catching that.
X-31_VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:50 AM   #15
emc

I have mapped on my stick:
- fight director mode
- alt hold
- auto hover

So during flight I have 3 channels on, when I do some long manuvers I engage FD mode. And when I what exit from hover I disengage auto hover and alt hold with ease.

Don't need mapped all autopilot channels.

Nokia 6.1 with Tapatalk

CPU: i7 7700 | GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DDR5 | Motherboard: ASUSTeK PRIME B250M-A | RAM: 2x16GB DDR4-2400 | Output: Kingston HyperX Cloud II | Edifier C2XD 2.1 |
Controlls: Saitek X-56 Rhino | Saitek Flight Rudder Pedals | Saitek Multi/Radio/Switch Panels | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Logitech G13 | OpenTrack with LaserClip | VoiceAttack with VAICOM Pro plugin
emc is offline   Reply With Quote