AP modes on HOTAS = incorrect usage?

After only a handful of hours in the KA-50, I decided I needed the four autopilot modes (Pitch Dampener/Hold, Bank Dampener/Hold, Lateral Dampener/Hold and Altitude Hold) mapped to my HOTAS. I've also read that advice multiple times on this forum.

Except... in the real aircraft, those buttons are positioned such that the pilot could only manipulate them by taking his right hand off the cyclic (or reaching across with the left hand, but that seems unlikely). This makes me think that if I need these buttons on the HOTAS, I am probably using these modes incorrectly.

Are RL pilots -- or for that matter any of you more experienced KA-50 simmers -- only setting these modes on the ground before flight? Or only changing them when the aircraft is well trimmed such that taking the hand from the cyclic is no big deal? Any advice/guidance much appreciated!

After only a handful of hours in the KA-50, I decided I needed the four autopilot modes (Pitch Dampener/Hold, Bank Dampener/Hold, Lateral Dampener/Hold and Altitude Hold) mapped to my HOTAS. I've also read that advice multiple times on this forum.

Except... in the real aircraft, those buttons are positioned such that the pilot could only manipulate them by taking his right hand off the cyclic (or reaching across with the left hand, but that seems unlikely). This makes me think that if I need these buttons on the HOTAS, I am probably using these modes incorrectly.

Are RL pilots -- or for that matter any of you more experienced KA-50 simmers -- only setting these modes on the ground before flight? Or only changing them when the aircraft is well trimmed such that taking the hand from the cyclic is no big deal? Any advice/guidance much appreciated!

I turn them in before take off. As tought in the training.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thanks. And do you generally keep all four modes engaged for the entire flight/mission?
Not the altitude hold one. That depends on what I'm doing.

EDIT: And I have them mapped on a macro keyboard, not on stick, with individual key lighting, so they the keys are light blue for easy reference.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Press and hold the trimmer button to temporarily disengage the autopilot inputs while you maneuver. When you release the trim button you have given new targets for the autopilot.

If you want to do a lot of maneuvering without using the Autopilot, and still want the stabilization modes engaged, activate the FLT DIR button next to the 4 channel buttons.

The altitude hold channel needs a reference for the autopilot to input corrections. In the real aircraft that's associated with the friction lock lever on the collective. The pilot releases the friction lock by pressing the lever, and this temporarily disengages the altitude hold channel. They are now able to move the collective. When the lever is released again (friction lock engaged), the new altitude is used as referenced for altitude hold.

Since I have no easy way to recreate that functionality, I just leave altitude hold off.

Edited by randomTOTEN

Understood, and many thanks all. I'll keep Flight Director mapped to my HOTAS, but will treat the individual channel buttons as essentially pre-flight items.

Regarding altitude hold, am I understanding correctly that using the collective brake will disengage the channel while the collective is being moved, in much the same way that the trim switch disengages the other channels (except for damping) temporarily while the cyclic is repositioned? Thus, it's possible to keep Altitude Hold engaged (referenced to either RADALT or barometric) but still climb and descend normally using the collective brake?

I think you can try removing the Flight Director from the HOTAS map too. It's only a quick glance to press it, and you will either have autopilot control engaged, or else have the helicopter trimmed and stabilized (ready to resume autopilot control) anyways when you are ready to press it.

am I understanding correctly that using the collective brake will disengage the channel while the collective is being moved
here's what the manual says for the collective brake lever. I'm not entirely sure how it exactly functions.

Collective brake - Assign altitude lever [F]. This lever serves two functions:

o Press this lever to disengage the collective stick brake before moving

the stick. The brake is needed to prevent the stick from moving due

to vibration or casual touch.

o Once the brake has been released and a signal is sent to the

navigation system, the lever can be used to assign a new altitude

when using the altitude hold flight mode.

The collective brake [F] have basically same functionality in regards of the altitude hold as the trim button on the cyclic towards the other channels (except no "recentering of the stick").

Before altitude changes, press and hold the button. When >stabilized< on the new altitude/height, release the button.

Edited by Holton181

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Thanks all! I think the pieces have finally come together for me in understanding the interaction between the AP channels, flight director, trim system, collective brake, and descent mode versus route mode. It seems like you can't really understand one of them without understanding all of them, and despite reading the manual obsessively, I had still introduced some negative learning by unwittingly fighting the systems. (It's also amazing how much misinformation is out there by well-intentioned people who think they understand the systems but actually don't.

I'm sure it will become intuitive with more flight hours. Thanks again for the great supportive community!

Edited by X-31_VECTOR

I'm sure it will become intuitive with more flight hours.

One can always dream... (said with many years of "experience") ;-)

Seriously, good luck!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Just to clarify for those lurking....

we're not talking about the rotor brake, but the collective brake. X-31 has likely used the wrong term here, as both controls exist in the Kamov.

The rotor brake is the black round knob below the red fuel shutoff levers, it's purpose is to stop the rotor blades after engine shutdown, and to prevent them turning when the helicopter is parked

the collective brake is a lever mounted to the underside of the collective control. It holds the collective position, uses the default [F] keybind, and is what interfaces with the autopilot system.

Just to clarify for those lurking....

we're not talking about the rotor brake, but the collective brake. X-31 has likely used the wrong term here, as both controls exist in the Kamov.

Whoops, yes! Collective brake, not rotor brake. I'll edit original post. Thanks for catching that.

I have mapped on my stick:

- fight director mode

- alt hold

- auto hover

So during flight I have 3 channels on, when I do some long manuvers I engage FD mode. And when I what exit from hover I disengage auto hover and alt hold with ease.

Don't need mapped all autopilot channels.

Nokia 6.1 with Tapatalk

Take a look my mods :joystick: 

dcs_footer500.jpg

CPU: i7 7700 | GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DDR5 | Motherboard: ASUSTeK PRIME B250M-A | RAM: 2x16GB DDR4-2400 | Output: Kingston HyperX Cloud II | Edifier C2XD 2.1 | Controlls: Saitek X-56 Rhino | Saitek Flight Rudder Pedals | Saitek Multi/Radio/Switch Panels | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Elgato Stream Deck XL | OpenTrack with LaserClip | VoiceAttack with VAICOM Pro plugin