stable flying ? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-30-2020, 10:57 PM   #31
jpuk

Just got the TM HOTAS Warthog & Throttle and waiting for MFG Rudder Pedals and 12 cm joystick extension. ()

Do you have any "tested or recommended" Huey settings? I mean by that which switch or button on Warthog you have linked to which helo function?

Any other recommendation(s) for using Warthog in DCS, please?
jpuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:25 PM   #32
X-31_VECTOR

Hi jpuk,

When I was using the Warthog, I kept the two throttle quadrants linked, and used the "friction wheel" axis (small gray wheel on the right) for throttle. In the axis tune menu in DCS, set it and the collective as sliders. You may also have to reverse the collective axis, assuming you want to do it in the "pull-to-increase" style to more closely resemble a real collective.

As far as buttons, on the stick:

- I set force trim on the red button on the Warthog stick.
- I used what would normally be the trim hat for the "autopilot" modes that let you hand off control to your copilot
- I used the squarish-looking hat for zooming view slow in/slow out and (up and down) and other views
- I used the flat hat for deploying/controlling the gun sight
- I used the thumb hat for weapons select up and down, and rocket quantity up and down

On the throttle:

- I used the thumb hat to change to the different crew positions
- I used the index-finger hat for controlling crew rules of engagement and rates of fire
- I used the remaining switches on throttle and base for various systems and engine start/shutdown

One tip for your MFG Crosswinds: DCS lets you use the toe brakes as modifier buttons. Since you don't need the toe brakes for anything else in the Huey, I use my left toe brake as a modifier to trigger a second layer of functions on all switches, and my right toe brake as the push-to-talk button for Voice Attack.

Happy hovering!
X-31_VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:31 PM   #33
X-31_VECTOR

On the original subject of stable flying, for those using Virpil WarBrd, I highly recommend trying the "no center" CosmoSim cams. I switched to them this weekend from the soft-center cams that came with the WarBrd, and the difference in hovering stability is dramatic. (I also like the feel for fixed wing, as the springs still give you a recentering force, just with no "bumping" as you cross the middle.)

(@jpuk, I was a Warthog user, but switched to a Virpil T50CM2 on WarBrd base for cyclic, and a homemade collective built around my old Warthog stick base and a left-handed Virpil grip.)
Old 05-07-2020, 11:04 AM   #34
jpuk

Hi X-31_VECTOR,

very useful hints for me.

Thanks a lot.
jpuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:42 PM   #35
Raisuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-31_VECTOR View Post
On the original subject of stable flying, for those using Virpil WarBrd, I highly recommend trying the "no center" CosmoSim cams. I switched to them this weekend from the soft-center cams that came with the WarBrd, and the difference in hovering stability is dramatic. (I also like the feel for fixed wing, as the springs still give you a recentering force, just with no "bumping" as you cross the middle.)

(@jpuk, I was a Warthog user, but switched to a Virpil T50CM2 on WarBrd base for cyclic, and a homemade collective built around my old Warthog stick base and a left-handed Virpil grip.)

I'd love to get a set of centerless cosmosim cams...when Virple can get them in stock

Shipping is a nightmare as well...
Raisuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #36
X-31_VECTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisuli View Post
I'd love to get a set of centerless cosmosim cams...when Virple can get them in stock
Actually, they show as in stock on the "Rest of World" store site now:

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-warbr...osim-cams.html

Looks like maybe on the EU-Asia site too.

But yes, Virpil products are the toilet paper of HOTAS (incredibly hard to find in stock).
Old 05-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #37
LuckyFromArma

Lol yeah, trying to completely stabilize a helicopter is like trying to stop a boat from pitching and rolling.
LuckyFromArma is offline   Reply With Quote