Warthog stick works erratically

Hi,

I have an issue with my warthog stick.

I have put a warthog extension, then I wanted to remove it to try another one. But was unable to untie the extension, and when I turned hard enough (was still not able to remove the extension) the thing the extension is tied to, turned as well. And now the stick works eratically, and does not manage to track my moves well anymore.

Is my stick broken, or is it fixeable?

Guess I'll have to dismount my stick, remove screws and so on to be able to remove the extension, unsure how to do this...

Thanks

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

Ok then it is broken. As the stick is quite new I'll send it back to amazon.

Though before that I have to unscrew the extension. Any idea on how I can do that? As when I turn the extension, the stick twists, and turn, and the extension does not turn.

Thanks

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

Because Amazon don't care about what happens if you send the product back in less than 30 days after purchase :) They don't even know why it is not working well...

So now I should find out how to unscrew this extension :)

Though to purchase a new articulation sphere, I should be sure this is what is broken, and I should be able to remove the extension.

What should I do? Untie all parts of the stick? How do I reach the articulation sphere? Guess I should untie that, then get the sphere in my hand and unscrew the extension. How do I reach that? By the bottom of the stick?

This is the first time I have such an issue with a stick, this stick is not very sturdy if we could twist it by mistake and then break the articulation sphere...

Thanks

Guess I have to remove the gimbal before removing the extension, because if I just twist the extension, the gimbal is turning and therefore the extension does not unscrew. :)

So, you think I just broke the sphere, and not the whole gimbal? This is the sphere that is not solid?

I thought about something. The stick has a collar, that prevents to have to twist the stick to untie it from the base. That would be great if extension makers could make such a collar to attach the extension to the base, that would make the process of unscrewing an extension much easier ^^

Will try, thanks. Not at home now, will do this on the week end. Will try to grip this with some tool to unscrew it.

Strange because I don't remember screwing it that hard. Maybe playing with it screwed it a bit more...

Exactly! The grip keys into the base part of the stick, so when you hold the grip, and unscrew the collar, you are stabilizing the stick. Tis is not the case with most extensions, unfortunately.

You could use a pair of pliers and something soft to clamp around the base stick, and use that to secure the stick. But be careful so you don't scratch the plastic base stick.

Thanks. Will try.

There is no extension with such a collar? ^^ I would gladly buy a collar I could use to put my extension on ;)

I wonder if we could not use a spare warthog part to get the collar from the stick and use it there. Wonder if this is possible to do that... Or wonder if this is possible to remove the collar from the stick and use it at the base of the extension instead of at the top...

Edit: mmm does not seem the hole size will fit :)

Edited by harf4ng

Hi

If anyone manages to get a new sphere from Thurstmaster then please let me know. I have broken mine by doing exactly the same as harf4ng and have contacted support but had no luck getting them to let me buy a replacement.

They just keep telling me that it is no longer available

Thanks

So does it mean if someone is sending them a broken stick they just throw it to the trashcan?

Maybe they just don't want to sell them, but unavailable...

No idea. I know people have previously managed to get hold of them but no matter what I say to them they just keep saying the part is no longer available and my only option is to purchase a new stick.

I'm personally putting up with it at the moment and will purchase the VKB Gunfighter when that is released and then will use my warthog handle.

This one?

http://www.vkb-sim.com.ar/gunfighter-mki-cjg9

Looks good, though I wonder how much it will cost :) Guess it will be more expensive than the warthog...

or,

what happened to 'erratic behaviour' can be caused by a faulting wire, or something like that.

Why don't you open up the stick and have a look what could be broken.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I did. And now windows does not see the stick anymore :)

About gunfighter, I saw that we will be able to replace the grip by the warthog one. Wonder what will be better between the gunfighter grip (that will be the one of the gladiator) and the warthog one...

Wonder as well WHEN this gunfighter will be available...

If the grip was not electronic connected the joystick fail for Windows.

So you need open the base and inspect, looking for broken part - the articulation sphere - or unconnected/broken wire.

About VKB Gunfighter accept Warthog (or Cougar, F22PRO) grip this was promised, since for VKB make a new multi button/HAT grip will take time (and money), the last "predictions" for Gunfighter release is early 2017.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Wonder as well WHEN this gunfighter will be available...

That is the million dollar question lol. I have been wondering that for some time.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Also they are saying this is the first step to their hotas system... Could take some time though...

That is the million dollar question lol. I have been wondering that for some time.

We still can hope that Gunfighter will be available in the begining of 2017... according with their latest statements (but don't ask me to provide links :) ) . And I also think will be even better than Warthog.

Gladiator is here as they promised, but seems they found out some issues with the materials used for gimbals (when used with heavier handles) so that they took some extra time to fix it for future Gunfighter. Just to be clear, Gladiator itself is ok as it is with its light joystick on top.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

I managed to get an exchange for my defective warthog, so I'll get a new one in a few days. Guess in a few months I'll buy a gunfighter, and either sell my warthog, or maybe try to buy a left handed grip if I can find one, and use the gunfighter and warthog as a dual stick ^^ (though for space sims, not for dcs)

Hi

If anyone manages to get a new sphere from Thurstmaster then please let me know. I have broken mine by doing exactly the same as harf4ng and have contacted support but had no luck getting them to let me buy a replacement.

They just keep telling me that it is no longer available

Thanks

There's a 3d file you can print instead of paying TM's overpriced shipping for this small part that comes out to 27Eur even if they *did have one.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.il2sturmovik.ru%2Ftopic%2F2420-hotas-warthog-zamena-vnutrennego-sharnira%2F

http://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/2420-hotas-warthog-zamena-vnutrennego-sharnira/ original link in Russian

You will need to register to download the part file...