User Manual: When and How

Horns

Is reading the manual (or Early Access Guide) the first thing you do in a module or do you wait until a particular time? Do you read it cover-to-cover or just the chapter that relates to your current training activity? When you learn an a/c in Early Access how do you use the EA guide and how do you use the full manual when it is released?

I assumed the first thing we should do is read the manual, but I haven't found that terribly helpful for the two units I've learned so far, and I have no idea what I'll do with the F/A-18 and its EA guide.

Suggestions welcome.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Is reading the manual (or Early Access Guide) the first thing you do in a module?

Actually, no ... the first thing I do is start up a free flight on the new plane and assign the axis and trim control of my Hotas. Then I just fly the new plane for a while to get a feeling of how it behaves, how it responds to the controls, how hard to trim it is, how it manouvers.

The second thing I do is try out the Training missions, if any, to learn how to start-up, take off and land.

or do you wait until a particular time? Do you read it cover-to-cover or just the chapter that relates to your current training activity?

I do read the manual, or at least most of it, during the days that follow the purchase of the new aircraft ... but previously I give a read to Chuck's Guide (if any), as it gives a good introduction to the aircraft system's and procedures.

When you learn an a/c in Early Access how do you use the EA guide and how do you use the full manual when it is released?

I treat the EA guide just like the full manual .. tough sometimes it is very complete (like the Viggen's on EA) and other times its very skimpy (like the Harrier's)

The last step on my learning of a new aircraft, is writing my own version of the procedures .. for that I use MS Word, paper size A5, and then convert into PDF to put it into the aircraft's kneeboard.

Sometimes I even include procedures based more on the Manual of the real aircraft than on DCS' manual .. that's the case for the F-18, the Harrier, the A-10C, the F-5, the F-86 and the P-51 :D

Cheers

PS: By the way, today's update cames with a much more complete manual for the F/A-18 : 230 pages instead of 150 .. will read it tonight to see what's new :)

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Actually, no ... the first thing I do is start up a free flight on the new plane and assign the axis and trim control of my Hotas. Then I just fly the new plane for a while to get a feeling of how it behaves, how it responds to the controls, how hard to trim it is, how it manouvers.

The second thing I do is try out the Training missions, if any, to learn how to start-up, take off and land.

I do read the manual, or at least most of it, during the days that follow the purchase of the new aircraft ... but previously I give a read to Chuck's Guide (if any), as it gives a good introduction to the aircraft system's and procedures.

I treat the EA guide just like the full manual .. tough sometimes it is very complete (like the Viggen's on EA) and other times its very skimpy (like the Harrier's)

The last step on my learning of a new aircraft, is writing my own version of the procedures .. for that I use MS Word, paper size A5, and then convert into PDF to put it into the aircraft's kneeboard.

Sometimes I even include procedures based more on the Manual of the real aircraft than on DCS' manual .. that's the case for the F-18, the Harrier, the A-10C, the F-5, the F-86 and the P-51 :D

Cheers

Thanks so much for giving such an in-depth response. That seems like a great way to construct knowledge of the aircraft:

start learning how she flies,

round out flight knowledge with training,

create flight aids, supplementing as appropriate, and

read the manual

I think that’s how I’ll attack my next module, thanks a bundle :)

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

... create flight aids ...

I think that’s how I’ll attack my next module, thanks a bundle :)

You are welcome ... cant stress enough how helpful it is to write your own version of the procedures, summarizing on your own words and with the level of detail that you like .. it really helps to memorize and know by heart everything about the aircraft.

These notes look like this, its on my native tongue but you get the idea :)

MmjJh87.jpg

Cheers!

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

My procedure is something like this:

1. Browse Chuck's guide

2. Learn cold start (refer to 1.)

3. Learn a number of weapon systems one by one (again, 1.)

4. Go to DCS Finland server/discord... and eventually somebody will start talking you through all the radar modes, radio, the navigation functions of the computer, TACAN, ILS... (Actually this often is my step 1.5).

5. Check in the manual every time Chuck made it too simple/too brief for your brain to understand or if it's too esoteric what you want to do

You are welcome ... cant stress enough how helpful it is to write your own version of the procedures, summarizing on your own words and with the level of detail that you like .. it really helps to memorize and know by heart everything about the aircraft

Ooo... nice idea! Any "quick startup" lists are too long anyway, who needs those self-tests when you have respawns :music_whistling:

Plus a few pointers on weapon systems could always help when you've taken a break. Can't forget them weapons. And radar modes.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

My procedure is something like this:

1. Browse Chuck's guide

2. Learn cold start (refer to 1.)

3. Learn a number of weapon systems one by one (again, 1.)

4. Go to DCS Finland server/discord... and eventually somebody will start talking you through all the radar modes, radio, the navigation functions of the computer, TACAN, ILS... (Actually this often is my step 1.5).

5. Check in the manual every time Chuck made it too simple/too brief for your brain to understand or if it's too esoteric what you want to do

Ooo... nice idea! Any "quick startup" lists are too long anyway, who needs those self-tests when you have respawns :music_whistling:

Plus a few pointers on weapon systems could always help when you've taken a break. Can't forget them weapons. And radar modes.

Interesting... so this is tilted in favor of learning systems earlier, and it's good to see a practical benefit (outside of multiplayer action) to joining a squadron.

Also good to know that both you and Rudel_chw use Chuck's guide before the manual. That is something I'm definitely going to try next time.

Thanks for sharing your technique :)