Useful WW2 plane?

Varis

Which WW2 aircraft do you think people would get most use out of ... or just all of them? How limited would one be if going with just one aircraft in the WW2 context?

How would learning curves and playability compare to other DCS modules? Controllability and primitive systems could be seen as an issue in WW2 planes, posing challenge for navigation, take off and landings. Are we still waiting for the WW2 crown jewels before the floodgates open... do we need more missions, a better multiplayer? How are the fast missions in WW2?

Is there much point in WW2 aircraft without the Normandy map? I take it could also be quite interesting for helicopters/CA.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Moi,

Which WW2 aircraft do you think people would get most use out of ... or just all of them?

Depends on what you want to do. Do you want to fly a purchased campaign (Charnwood - P51, Epsom - Spit)... which need specific aircraft? Do you want to go more for dogfighting (Spit/109) or ground attack (FW190D-9/P51D)? Do you want to use a G-6 Ilmavoimat paintscheme (Bf109K4)? Do you want to fly a particular side?

How limited would one be if going with just one aircraft in the WW2 context?

I have the Bf 109 K-4, FW 190-D9, and TF51 / P-51D. I like them all, but I fly the FW 190 the most. I am VERY much looking forward to the FW 190 A-8... but it will not be out for a while.

Even if I had JUST one of them, I don't think I'd feel limited. I'd certainly be able to take part in my squad events, join the multiplayer servers, etc. You certainly don't need a "set" of them to be functional. In fact, having just one will really help you get the hang of things, if you are just starting out.

How would learning curves and playability compare to other DCS modules? Controllability and primitive systems could be seen as an issue in WW2 planes, posing challenge for navigation, take off and landings.

Learning is difficult, especially if you have little experience in "tail draggers". I started with WW2 and moved to jets and was stunned at how easy the jets were to takeoff/land. Given the challenges of takeoffs/landings, I'd definitely recommend either rudder pedals or a twist-joystick. On the other hand, the warbirds are not overwhelmed with systems and comms and nav-aids and weapon choices. Navigation is more by landmarks and dead reckoning. Even the compasses are a bit awkward to use at times. But that's part of the charm.

In terms of learning, I found the 190 the easiest, then the P-51D/TF51-D. The Bf 109 was very difficult. However...

The TF-51D is FREE. So just try it for yourself and decide how you find it. Then, if you can manage that, then getting the hang of one of the others should be fine, although practice is still needed.

I don't think I can stress the TF-51D enough. It is a PERFECT chance for anyone who has not flown a WW2 warbird to do so without any cost. Sure, you don't have weapons, but the thing that usually frustrates people is not the firing of weapons, but the take-off, landing, handling, etc.. All of which the TF-51D will show you. You can also simulate dog-fighting, by chasing some AI or a friend and seeing how easy it is to a) spot them and b) keep then just over the nose for long enough so you would have got a shot in, had you been armed.

Also, there are of individuals/groups around who are happy to help.

Are we still waiting for the WW2 crown jewels before the floodgates open... do we need more missions, a better multiplayer?

Everything _could_ be better. But the same could be said about anything in life. Again, try the TF-51D and, if you like it, go for one of the others.

How are the fast missions in WW2?

Not good. Your best bet is to go for your own (the mission editor is really very good and easy to use) or multi-player (e.g. Storm of War or Burning Skies) or a campaign.

Is there much point in WW2 aircraft without the Normandy map? I take it could also be quite interesting for helicopters/CA.

Yes, the Normandy map (+ WW2 assets - best bought as a bundle, not separately) gives you a WW2 environment, but it is not necessary to get started.

I mostly fly the FW190 D-9 on the Caucusus map as part of our squad training. You can put in all the WW2 aircraft as AI to fight against, in a variety of seasons (I like winter!) and various different terrain (mountains to plains to coast).

Best WW2 plane? MiG-15! :D Just kidding. Still it's a lot of fun to use the MiG-15 for WW2 missions. You could somehow consider it a very advanced Ta-183 version, I guess... :huh:

I prefer German planes due to metric gauges. I have the Bf-109, which is good. But it gets less air time than the MiG-15. When I got the 109 I was doubting between that one and the Fw190D9. The Fw has a more ergonomic cockpit, but I decided on the Bf-109 because that, together with the Spit, is THE embodiment of WW2 planes for me. But it's not easy to fly / taxi / land (especially compared to the MiG-15) and rudder pedals are almost mandatory.

For WW2 missions, the WW2 asset pack would be good because it gives you more period targets, especially the B-17 bombers. The Normandy map is not absolutely necessary although it has of course a WW2 atmosphere that's lacking in the Caucasus map. But neither is absolutely necessary. It depends on your wishes and budget. :thumbup:

Edited by Zius

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

I have all the warbirds, and i regret not flying them enough. 109 is my favorite. The K4 we have is probably the easiest of all of them to land. The Spit is by far the toughest.

Pick any of them and you will have plenty to do. Simple to learn, but difficult to master. I didn't really start to learn dogfighting until I spent time in ww2 multiplayer servers. Then I went back to the F5 and started cleaning house.

I've used them, plus the Sabre and the MiG, in pseudo Cold War scenarios, with German surplus armor thrown in for good measure. They're set in the Seventies, so you can use the choppers without the GPS too. It's all a bit flaky, I know; but still, at least Iran was still using the Sabre in 1974, and many Air Forces still had the Mustang in active service at that time as well.

The missions are of course a bit of a joke and FUBARed, but hey, one's gotta do what one's gotta do :D

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

With regards to the Normandy Map and WWII Assets Pack, you will need these for several of the campaigns for the P-51 and Spit (Charnwood for the P-51, Epsom and The Big Show for the Spit). My understanding is that these campaigns are supposed to be based on historical missions and events. There was one P-51 campaign for the Caucuses map, but it's not a historically-based campaign, I don't think.

As for how the planes handle, I only have the P-51 and Spitfire (no personal interest in German military equipment of that era, except as target practice), but I agree with what's said above about being challenging. Taking off in the Spitfire is harder than landing an F/A-18C on the Stennis! Well, it is for me, at least. There are many WWII flight simulators out there, and they are all very good, but ED really put a lot of effort into simulating all of the many different ways that these old birds will try to kill you, and I've found DCS's warbirds to be far more challenging than any other WWII flight simulator out there.

That being said, I do find myself flying fast jets more often than the warbirds, but that's partly because they are so challenging. As with almost every other aircraft in DCS, if you get it, you will constantly be learning new things about it and finding areas where your skills need improvement even after several years.

The Mustang is definitely the most versatile of the aircraft modeled thusfar. About as close to "multirole" as you can get to put it simply.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

I keep coming back to my Spitfire although I enjoy all 3 warbirds I own and my jets rarely.

I am really enjoying "The Big Show" Campaign which, to play, Normandy is required.

Personally, I Love new maps and in the end they are all worth having.

Nevada is nice nowadays as is the Caucus map and The gulf map is a work of art and improving.

Most days I only fly my Spitfire. It's just my personal dream come true.

No regrets buying any warbirds but my Spitfire is my go to bird.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

How would you actually rate the WW2 planes in terms of capability: performance (climb, speed and dive), dogfight (maneuverability and armament), air to ground? 1 to 5 and 5/5 meaning the best in class. You can copy from below.

Fw190

performance:

dogfight:

air to ground:

Bf109

performance:

dogfight:

air to ground:

Spitfire

performance:

dogfight:

air to ground:

Mustang

performance:

dogfight:

air to ground:

I know Mig-15/Sabre must be awesome in all of them so no need to rate them ;)

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

I don't have a basis to compare, but here's my thought, for whatever it's worth:

Bf109

performance: 4

dogfight: 4

air to ground: 2

I know Mig-15/Sabre must be awesome in all of them so no need to rate them ;)

I would say that the biggest differences between those are:

1) guns vs. cannon

2) cockpit units, language and general layout

Gunnery with the MiG can be difficult due to low velocity rounds. But at least one hit from that 37mm cannon can down a B-17! :thumbup:

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Fw190

performance:5

dogfight:4

air to ground:3

Bf109

performance:5

dogfight:4.5

air to ground:2

Spitfire

performance:4

air to ground:3

Mustang

performance:4.5

air to ground:4

IIRC Mustang should have overhaul at some point, if it will have higher boost settings and/or different fuel (i have not followed discussions lately so i don't know what the latest news are about those) performance will probably rise to 5.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't have the 190.

BF-109K-4 Kurfürst

Performance: 5

Dogfight: 3 (I get shot down in, and shoot down other 109s easily once they/I dogfight. BnZ is the 109's way to go for me)

AtG: 1.5

Spitfire Mk. IXc

Performance: 4

Dogfight: 5

AtG: 2.5

P-51D-30 Mustang

Performance: 4

Dogfight: 3 (If you handle it right, the Mustang actually can turn well, it just bleeds speed and stalls at a higher speed because of those laminar wings, the very thing that helps give it exceptional range)

AtG: 4

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Which WW2 aircraft do you think people would get most use out of ... or just all of them? How limited would one be if going with just one aircraft in the WW2 context?

How would learning curves and playability compare to other DCS modules?

Let me add my 2c

From those planes I have been able to fly the Spitfire and 109 are really nice looking but hard to fly, the Mustang is easy to fly but ugly.

The Spitfire and 109 are very hard on takeoff and land and German planes (Bf 109) are all hard to enjoy because they have no trim and it's the aircraft that flies you rather than the other way around.

Mustang is surprisingly easy but lacks in graphical fidelity, there is a free graphical update announced but as it is now it is even worse than Flamig Cliffs planes.

This is not much of an issue I personally get more enjoyment from flying the Bf109 in Nevada than the flat and repetitive Normandy.

I fly WW2 planes on all and any map and still feel immersed in WW2 when doing so. Maybe the Nevada desert doesent look anything like the deserts of Africa, and Africa has no such terrain, but it works for me as I refuse to research the matter!

There really should be the ability to turn off modern city buildings though. The option to do this in the ME simply does not work for some reason.

I love the WW2 modules in DCS. It fast became my favorite WW2 sim, not only because it's so much more challenging to, take off, fly, land and kill, but also just because of how the modules feel.

I'm sure a VR and jetseat combination plays a big part in this, but after flying DCS modules, other sim WW2 planes feel so much more simplified.

When you finally nail landing the spitfire for example, you genuinely feel as if you have achieved the ability to fly, and land the actual plane, whereas other sims feel more arcade-ish.

More so than other than other sims, the experience is strongly reminiscent of learning to drive. It takes a rather long time to master, but once it clicks, it becomes something you just have a mental, and physical feel for, and you wonder how before you could ever have found it so difficult!

The more complex and comprehensive modules, also give me a much stronger feeling of ownership/historical sentimentality over the planes themselves.

The spitfire is the single greatest WW2 module I have ever tried, but all of them feel dinstinctive, and are very convincing simulations of the real thing. After learning the DCS modules I find it hard to go back, to other simulators, because I love them so much! The spitfire feels like my plane!

I find getting spits in the 109 and 190 so much more challenging than taking 109's/190's in the spitfire, but killing 109's/190's in the p-51 is really challenging! Really have to learn B and Z better I think!

The other day I took off in a squad of 4 (AI) P-51's up against 4 109's. I looked around and found that not one single P51 had survived and I was up against 4 109's! You can imagine how that went!

So I love ww2 DCS although it obviously has room for improvement. Need airport sirens and searchlights, and better allied AA to mention just a few things. More bombers to fight as well obviously.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,