Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

To each their own I guess, but using a "physical controller/hotas" is not "virtual reality" in its purest sense, now is it.

It’s nearer to reality which is the whole point of Virtual Reality. I don’t even know what ‘purest sense’ VR is. In your mind is it just using your hands?

I also prefer physical controllers, but I would love if DCS would integrate the Leap Motion hand tracker. Not as virtual hands, because I dont have the space needed to reach for the buttons at their correct position, but as an alternative to the mouse. Just holding my hand with thumb and index fingers close together controls the mouse position, put them together to click. Not real VR, but neither is reaching for the mouse.

ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4, Core i7-6700K, Cooler Master Hyper 212X, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX, 512 GB Samsung 950 PRO M.2 SSD, MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G OC

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift CV1

• 3 weeks later...
Do you still need to have Oculus home running to play DCS or can you use the Run as Admin setting again to use DCS in VR without Oculus Home running?

Yes Oculus now requires Home to be running for the Rift when using the headset. It was integrated into Rift Core 2.0.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a Rift today.

I haven't flown very much in my 40yr life, 7-8 times maybe? And of course, only in airliners as a passenger.

Oki, so, the Rift. OMG, my palms were sweating as hell. :)

Flown the F/A-18, did a carrier launch and a CASE1, both went really great. It's way easier to estimate distances and heights in VR, because of 3D.

Flew the A-10 as well for a moment, tried a VFR landing, but I didn't expect the plane is sitting quite high when gear down, so the touchdown came earlier than I expected. Crashed and burned.

Then, the Huey. Turned that off almost instantly. I'm not that good in flying the helo just yet, so when I took off the chopper was kind of unstable (because of my poor helo skills), so didn't feel good in the stomach. ;)

But man! WOW. Just WOW. Truly another dimension, flying in VR. I have to get used to the feeling of flying I suppose. Like I had to get used to VR when I first tried it a few months ago and did some simracing (stomach feels when I drove off to the track).

Still. Really impressed.

Just wanted to share in my enthousiasm.

Edited by dawgie79

:thumbup:

Nothing like it!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

And take it little bit at a time. If you get nauseous, a little ginger goes a long way (just as good as Dramamine).

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Just got a Rift today.

I haven't flown very much in my 40yr life, 7-8 times maybe? And of course, only in airliners as a passenger.

Oki, so, the Rift. OMG, my palms were sweating as hell. :)

Flown the F/A-18, did a carrier launch and a CASE1, both went really great. It's way easier to estimate distances and heights in VR, because of 3D.

Flew the A-10 as well for a moment, tried a VFR landing, but I didn't expect the plane is sitting quite high when gear down, so the touchdown came earlier than I expected. Crashed and burned.

Then, the Huey. Turned that off almost instantly. I'm not that good in flying the helo just yet, so when I took off the chopper was kind of unstable (because of my poor helo skills), so didn't feel good in the stomach. ;)

But man! WOW. Just WOW. Truly another dimension, flying in VR. I have to get used to the feeling of flying I suppose. Like I had to get used to VR when I first tried it a few months ago and did some simracing (stomach feels when I drove off to the track).

Still. Really impressed.

Just wanted to share in my enthousiasm.

Welcome to the dark side:beer:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

I have home set to run as admin, and no home.

the exe for the new home is just in a different place:

C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Binaries\Win64

It's the: Home2-Win64-Shipping.exe that you set to run as admin.

you still get the dash and all its functionalities and guardian too (not that that matters for flying..) but NO HOME!

Edited by voodooman

you still get the dash and all its functionalities and guardian too (not that that matters for flying..) but NO HOME!

I'm going to have to try this. Thanks.

How about those Touch controllers? How do I make it so I can't see them when I'm in the cockpit. I've tried hiding them in a drawer, also putting them in a different room in the house, but Oculus always seems to remember their last known position and the virtual hands are still visible when I'm in the cockpit. I have to put the Touch controllers underneath my chair since I'm not usually looking straight down anyway.

New to Oculus and DCS, so go easy on me :)

Thanks.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

I'm going to have to try this. Thanks.

How about those Touch controllers? How do I make it so I can't see them when I'm in the cockpit. I've tried hiding them in a drawer, also putting them in a different room in the house, but Oculus always seems to remember their last known position and the virtual hands are still visible when I'm in the cockpit. I have to put the Touch controllers underneath my chair since I'm not usually looking straight down anyway.

New to Oculus and DCS, so go easy on me :)

Thanks.

I will usually just pull the batteries out. Or just start the game without ever turning them on. But also believe, that in the VR tab of settings if you uncheck the 'use hand controllers' option it should get rid of it or never show them, even if they were used prior to DCS boot.

I'm a little confused after attempting to try this. I found the file you mentioned, but what exactly do I need to do to prevent the Oculus app from opening when I double-click the DCS icon on my desktop?

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

I'm a little confused after attempting to try this. I found the file you mentioned, but what exactly do I need to do to prevent the Oculus app from opening when I double-click the DCS icon on my desktop?

From the looks of it, you have to make it run with admin privileges. Right click on the file in questions, Properties, Compatibility tab at the top, check the "Run this program as an administrator" in Settings.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

From the looks of it, you have to make it run with admin privileges. Right click on the file in questions, Properties, Compatibility tab at the top, check the "Run this program as an administrator" in Settings.

I did that and I got nothing but a blank window for the shipping .exe and Home opened up as usual.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

I did that and I got nothing but a blank window for the shipping .exe and Home opened up as usual.

AFAIK Oculus did away with that capability with Rift Core 2.0.

Don B

Is there anyway to launch DCS without Oculus opening up? Sometimes I unplug the Rift and just want to play “2D”, but whenever I launch DCS, Oculus opens too. If I close Oculus, it also kills DCS.

Bonus question: Is there a way to leave the headset plugged in, but launch DCS in non-VR mode, without Oculus opening up? I hate having to unplug the headset all the time. I’m sure I’ll wear out the USB connectors in no time.

I’d like to have two shortcuts on my desktop. One that launches DCS in VR mode with Oculus, and one that launches DCS without Oculus. Possible?

Thanks in advance.

Use the Skatezilla app. Selectlaunch non-VR. You can find the app in the DCS main folder where the DCS.exe is located.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Thanks for the response, but I got it figured out. There was another thread with this topic that I didn’t see until now. No need for another app. You can just edit the target for the shortcut to force it into non-vr mode.

Well, still, look at the app. It is a valuable asset you can use to repair, clean, install and many other functions.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Thanks to a very nice surprise Christmas gift from my wife I am a brand new Oculus Rift user with no previous VR experience. I was surprised my research found no basic setup guide for VR with DCS, other than a couple of videos on setting OPTIONS; but with much diligence and 8 hours of grit I have gotten my meager home pit to the point that I have the cockpit instruments reasonably readable, HOTAS and devices functioning, and audio working in the game. I found Skatezilla's Updater quite useful. So now ready to try flying with the challenging cockpit instrument interface of current generation VR in DCS. Really miss my 32" QHD monitor, BUT the 3D enhancement of the Oculus may make me a convert. Now I have a few noobie questions.

1. The cockpit instrument interface I am using is the little white dot controlled by my head movement combined the the mouse button to make selections. Is there a more efficient/convenient method?

2. Rift audio hardware is ok, but is there a feasible way to use my Sennheiser headset? Are the Rift earphones removable, without damaging the hardware, that is?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

1. Yes, you can detach the cursor from the single point in the options menu, so the curser dot moves freely. I use this with a trackball and I like it. MilesD on the forum is making a pointcontrol device which is attached to your finger and you can point in 3D at a switch in the cockpit -check it out.

2. Yes, where the headphones are attached-on the inside is a flat head screwdriver type thing that can be removed with the supplied tool or a coin etc but to be honest the rift 7.1 surround, is excellent quality - in my opinion anyways - but I’ve never tried Sennheiser cans.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Hi,

1. Yes, you can detach the cursor from the single point in the options menu, so the curser dot moves freely. I use this with a trackball and I like it. MilesD on the forum is making a pointcontrol device which is attached to your finger and you can point in 3D at a switch in the cockpit -check it out.

2. Yes, where the headphones are attached-on the inside is a flat head screwdriver type thing that can be removed with the supplied tool or a coin etc but to be honest the rift 7.1 surround, is excellent quality - in my opinion anyways - but I’ve never tried Sennheiser cans.

I will add to the above that I removed the Rift earphones and am using my Bose QC35 instead. It’s much better of course, and I do get 3D audio with it. I’m connected wirelessly with Bluetooth. I would imagine other similar headsets would be similar in performance.

I will add to the above that I removed the Rift earphones and am using my Bose QC35 instead. It’s much better of course, and I do get 3D audio with it. I’m connected wirelessly with Bluetooth. I would imagine other similar headsets would be similar in performance.

Hmm, forgot they make wireless noise cancelling headphones now. Although the built-in one is pretty convenient. And to me, pretty decent sounding. What to do. What to do.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---