Mig29S throttle performance

Hi all,

New to the Forums but a loooooong time user of Lomac and DCS and big fan of the Russian aircraft.

My question is does anyone else find the 29s bl**dy hard to regulate the throttle to small increments and decrements for formation flying etc?

My setup is the Cougar HOTAS and literally half of that throttles range is reheat and I tend to fly around on the ‘first notch’. I appreciate the 29s has massive engines, high T/W and with the centreline tank no AB. Very similar issues on trying to make micro speed adjustments when using a different throttle of even the keyboard.

Any tips from fellow 29 drivers would be great - SU-27/33 is so easy to do, as are my AV8B, F-18, F-14 and A-10.

Cheers and happy flying everyone.

Matt

I guess the real throttle on the 29 is not much different (there were diagrams showing its range posted here), but you could adjust the curve so the burners start matches your detent which is not the half of the throttle I guess.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

My question is does anyone else find the 29s bl**dy hard to regulate the throttle to small increments and decrements for formation flying etc?

My setup is the Cougar HOTAS and literally half of that throttles range is reheat and I tend to fly around on the ‘first notch’.

Hi,

I’ve the same setup and I solved it by tuning the throttle curve .. mine came out looking like this, and the AB begins to lit at about 70% of throttle travel:

G4tLV6r.jpg

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi mate thanks for your reply looks like I need to get into the guys of it then.

Are you saying that your NEW map now has the AB coming online at 70% or that was standard?

Do we know the standard settings for an actual Mig-29 or do we think ED have mapped that as standard knowing the realism and detail these guys go into.

Cheers again!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you saying that your NEW map now has the AB coming online at 70% or that was standard?

Sorry for not clarifying it better ... my particular Cougar has a detent at about 70% of the throttle values, so I adjusted the curve so that the AB started to operate just as I passed that detent when increasing throttle.

On the folder of the Foxy Utility, there is a program called ThrottleRange.exe that allows you to check at what percentage of the pot travel are the two detents, like this:

lH6VNlJ.jpg

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Sorry for not clarifying it better ... my particular Cougar has a detent at about 70% of the throttle values, so I adjusted the curve so that the AB started to operate just as I passed that detent when increasing throttle.

On the folder of the Foxy Utility, there is a program called ThrottleRange.exe that allows you to check at what percentage of the pot travel are the two detents, like this:

lH6VNlJ.jpg

Best regards

Rudel many thanks for this info and I’ll try it out later.

I have recalibrated the Cougar stick and throttle in windows and now the Fulcrum seems to be worse.

At any altitude it starts accelerating about 5mm from the throttle being all the way back and accelerating quite fast.

Anyone else find this? Can you also AXIS tune for individual aircraft? As my other aircraft are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, all axis settings in DCS controls menu are per aircraft.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

... I have recalibrated the Cougar stick and throttle in windows and now the Fulcrum seems to be worse....

From the document "Calibrating the Cougar.doc" on the Foxy folder:

"Windows has its own calibration routine for joysticks in its Game Controllers applet and you must not use it with the Cougar.

It and others will create and store calibration data in the Windows registry, and this will adversely affect the Cougar’s calibration.

Please see the documentation in the installed (not printed) CCP manual on the HOTASCleanse.exe application should you think that you have calibration data in the registry affecting the Cougar.

Don't just run the application – it won't clear your registry calibration data properly. Follow the instructions in the installed manual. "

Please, read that document ... while long, it is very clearly explained by Dr. Hallows himself :)