Dropping multiple JDAMs on waypoints?

Nealius

I'm having some trouble with some old Warthog techniques I used to use a few years ago before I shelved the module. Back in DCS 1.2 or 1.5 I used to be able to drop multiple JDAMs on waypoints by doing the following:

1. Use TGP to designate Waypoints A, B, C, and D.

2. Switch the rightmost CDU knob to WAYPOINT.

3. Select Waypoint A as steerpoint.

4. Drop JDAM on A, switch to B, drop, switch to C, drop, switch to D, drop.

5. All four JDAMs would hit four different targets.

I just tried this last night but instead all four bombs impacted the same piece of empty dirt. Did something change in JDAM employment or am I doing something wrong?

Still works. Check in the HUD whether STPT is SPI-Generator. Seems like TGP is generator, so JDAMs are dropped to wherever your TGP points

Create waypoints with TGP, make STPT SPI-Generator, select Waypoint, drop, select next, drop, repeat..

Edited by MasterZelgadis

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

Still works. Check in the HUD whether STPT is SPI-Generator. Seems like TGP is generator, so JDAMs are dropped to wherever your TGP points

Create waypoints with TGP, make STPT SPI-Generator, select Waypoint, drop, select next, drop, repeat..

How do I ensure that the STPT is SPI? I had the HUD as SOI at the time of release(s), and held TMS up just for good measure between drops.

Probably better to use mark points, just select & drop when in range etc

That's exactly what I did, though....

How do I ensure that the STPT is SPI? I had the HUD as SOI at the time of release(s), and held TMS up just for good measure between drops.

That’s your problem right there. You made your TDC on the HUD your SPI. The lower-left-most indication on the HUD shows you what your SPI is. I bet it said TDC when you dropped. Try China Hat Aft (I think) to reset your SPI to steerpoint. You need to see STPT on lower left of HUD before you drop.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Yep. You do not need to do TMS up, your aircraft is constantly generating a SPI. Just which sensor or source generates it matters.

Try China Hat Aft (I think) to reset your SPI to steerpoint.

I think it was TMS aft long

Edited by MasterZelgadis

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

I think it was TMS aft long

Yes, you are correct. China hat aft long slaves the TGP to the steerpoint. This is something I also do when dropping multiple bombs, so that when I toggle the steerpoint I get a quick visual reference on the TGP on where exactly the bomb is going.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

1. Use TGP to designate Waypoints A, B, C, and D.

If you use the TGP, these are called markpoints, not waypoints, and they go to the markpoint database, not the waypoint database.

2. Switch the rightmost CDU knob to WAYPOINT.

Consequently, this should be set to the MARKPOINT database.

(It's possible to create waypoints out of markpoints, but shouldn't be necessary for the task at hand.)

Other than that, like the others said, check that the HUD reads STPT as SPI Generator and you should be good to go.

Oops, got my terminology mixed up. Meant to say the knob was set to MARKPOINT. I don't believe it has a WAYPOINT option, only STEERPOINT, right? Hard to remember without being in-game and actually looking at the thing.

So after I make the markpoints, I select the Markpoints via the CDU, make HUD SOI, TMS aft long, drop, switch the the next markpoint, TMS aft long, drop, repeat? Or do I only TMS aft long once before I drop all bombs?

You don’t have to do TMS aft long each time. Also, TMS long works from any of the systems, so you don’t even have to select the HUD. Once your markpoints are set, just set the selector dial to markpoints, make sure you see STPT on lower left of HUD (if not, then TMS aft long). Then drop your bomb on the markpoint, select next markpoint, drop, select next, drop, etc.

You guys know you don't have to switch the dial on the CDU. You can skip that, and place the UFC in that mode by pressing FUNC and then the UFC number 7, 8, 9 depending on which mode you want.

7: FPLAN

8: MARK

9: MSN

Same thing can be done with WAYPT, STEER, and POS, but that is with FUNC then HACK, 0, or SPC.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

You guys know you don't have to switch the dial on the CDU. You can skip that, and place the UFC in that mode by pressing FUNC and then the UFC number 7, 8, 9 depending on which mode you want.

Same thing can be done with WAYPT, STEER, and POS, but that is with FUNC then HACK, 0, or SPC.

Good tips, but I have it bound to my HOTAS :)

CDU is much more legible in VR than the UFC for me. I can barely even read the numbers.

• 4 weeks later...

Piggybacking on an old post, I need some help here gents. After a long hiatus from the A10 I am having an issue with the GBU 38s using the techniques described in this thread.

It seemed to me that in the past I never missed with JDAMs assuming that I didn't make an error in employment. Now, it seems like around 1/3 of my bombs miss. I have been trying to employ JDAMs in quick succession against 2 to 3 markpoints across numerous instant action and single missions with these results. Attached is a track of a setup I made in the ME to demonstrate.

If someone can point out what I am doing wrong I would really appreciate it. Otherwise, is the CEP of GBU-38s such that it is unrealistic to expect nearly 100% success against tank sized targets?

JDAM.trk

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

I could be wrong but I think the CEP is in the order of 5m so definitely not always going to hit a vehicle

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Attached is a track of a setup I made in the ME to demonstrate.

I didn't see anything wrong with your method.

However, in a 2nd playback I flew around the targets after you'd designated the markpoints; seen from the other side, the markpoints all seemed to be a little off despite you using the laser during markpoint designation.

In any case, I don't recall the exact details, but I think IRL the GBU-38 is not guaranteed to be as accurate as it usually is in DCS.

Against softer or larger targets, it should still do very well, though.

On a completely unrelated note, you should do yourself a favor and always select weapon profiles via DMS switch, not weapon stations via DSMS (which means "manual profile" and will probably ignore all other profile settings you may have done).

I didn't see anything wrong with your method.

However, in a 2nd playback I flew around the targets after you'd designated the markpoints; seen from the other side, the markpoints all seemed to be a little off despite you using the laser during markpoint designation.

Thanks for checking Yurgon. I too had noticed mark points looked slightly off if I overfly the targets so that is why I wanted another set of eyes on my method. I just didn’t remember suffering so many misses with 38’s the last time I got serious in the A10...

On a completely unrelated note, you should do yourself a favor and always select weapon profiles via DMS switch, not weapon stations via DSMS (which means "manual profile" and will probably ignore all other profile settings you may have done).

Totally agree, on a normal mission I would have configured all my profiles and used the rotary but I just wanted to get a track together as quick as I could that would only show the bare minimum needed for troubleshooting with as few variables as possible.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

I am just guessing, it may have to do with other complains about aircraft sinking thru the ground. If laser is getting coordinate from the ground then it maybe a problem if rendered ground is at diff. elevation than actual ground.

To make it more interesting try messing with the mission QFE.

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27