"3D" Hurts Your Eyes

Bucic

Anyway it's too late.

The big companies already have a 20 years plan for 3D displays, TV's, etc. ..

So the result of this study is obviously wrong.

Or answer No.2:

Have you tried the the new prescription-free 3Dencefalogan® ? It's does wonders against 3D headaches!

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

24 people is a redonculously small sample size though. Would be interesting to see if someone can replicate this with larger cohorts. Especially important since this seems like a hard study to blind. (Pun not intended.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

It definetly does hurt your eyes, as watching 3d movies on the tv hurts my eyes and gives me a headache if I have the glasses on for too long.

Maybe doesnt do it with everyone, but it can cause sore eyes, **** knows if it hurts your brain tho, but I do get headaches if I have the battery operated glasses on for more than 30 minutes or so.

this is the study that article is based on http://www.journalofvision.org/content/11/8/11.abstract

I didn't read it thoroughly, but it doesn't appear to mention brain or eye damage anywhere in it, just discomfort.

What, media misreporting science? But this never happens! :P

Bumfire, I suspect the headaches don't have anything to do with batteries, and more about what's actually happening in the visual field (which of course includes whatever said glasses are doing). I get headaches if I watch a screen or read a book for extended periods of time without my glasses. My sight is fairly normal, but I have a slight aberration that isn't really visually intelligible to me because eye muscles and brain manages to automatically correct for it, but that strains something such that aches result. When I wear my glasses they handle this for me and such strain doesn't occur.

I'd definitely be prepared to imagine that doing funky things with displays can cause similar things to happen, and it's not the first time such things are apparent. Remember that Nintendo helmet/goggle thingy? :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I've got the Nvidia 3D Vision and I have never noticed any of the effects mentioned. The first 5 to 15 minutes of use are a bit uncomfortable but after that it's smooth sailing. 5 hours of use makes me no more strained than one hour.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also interesting would be if this is short term or long term damage.

From another forum topic:

I should state what I think about journalists first but it's not worth it. The article is clearly on "improving ‘contrast sensitivity’ in eyesight". This is not the same as improving general (effective) eyesight in general! So there's no mystery here.

The 'contrast sensitivity' is important after the image is acquired through eye's optics and the the optics is what gets messed up most badly during prolonged staring at an object at short, constant distance. If you don't believe me take a guy with good eyesight and check his eyesight after 20 hours session of FPS game. First of all he probably won't be able to sustain constant focus on the monitor for that period of time without brakes for eyes. Second - you won't need any special equipment to say that his eyesight will get worse temporarily. With time this temporarily changes into permanently.

I admit I haven't read the paper before posting :blush:

I have just scanned it briefly and I can say that the last two sentences of the quote above DO apply as a 'conclusion' re the discussed study. When something is messing with accommodation and eye optics it will get messed up. Forget about the brain. Given what we do to it with alcohol and political correctness one can conclude it's indestructible ;)

Edited by Bucic

I was experimenting allot the last time with "3D" (you know this thing that happens when you open both eyes ;) ) in preparation for this :spherical dome made out of satellite dishes

- and I can say that all shutter-glas variants where indeed hurting in a way - but clearly got better when sitting 1.5m away from the screen.and the room should be Dark-so you will not switch focusing your surroundings and concentrate only at the screen. (Something that is not very practical with the computer.) But this subtitle disturbing effect was absolute gone when using polarized glasses.

So - whatever will come I will go for the polarised solution - the big downside is that it cost almost twice as the shutter-glas, because you need always two screens (When talking about a monitor) or two projectors.

But the performance is absolute brilliant once set-up correctly.

I already made some test with two vga projectors and a silver-coated-screen (I used big sheets of tin-foil ;) ).

And used a Normal polarised glasses that I have put in front of the lens of the projectors. -there are many DIY instruction on goggle.

Edit- found it! :) :

Or wait until this very promising looking technology is available for the masses - no hurting eyes any more! - but don't know about the eyelids :megalol: (Dont forget to visit his channel - buhhahaha...)

Edited by PeterP

What, media misreporting science? But this never happens! :P

Bumfire, I suspect the headaches don't have anything to do with batteries, and more about what's actually happening in the visual field (which of course includes whatever said glasses are doing). I get headaches if I watch a screen or read a book for extended periods of time without my glasses. My sight is fairly normal, but I have a slight aberration that isn't really visually intelligible to me because eye muscles and brain manages to automatically correct for it, but that strains something such that aches result. When I wear my glasses they handle this for me and such strain doesn't occur.

I'd definitely be prepared to imagine that doing funky things with displays can cause similar things to happen, and it's not the first time such things are apparent. Remember that Nintendo helmet/goggle thingy? :D

Could be, I really dunno.

At times you can see the glasses flicker, it happens when you first put the dvd on and the actual 3d movie isnt yet playing, its playing trailers or cut scenes etc which are not 3d, then the glassess flicker like a bad case of vsync gone bad, then it kicks back in again to be smoothe when the 3d movie is playing, but at times it does it whilst in the middle of the movie, not much and not for long, so I am not sure if that is the cause of the headaches.

I also notice that I blink more when wearing the goggles, so maybe the blinking is the cause of the soreheads and sore eyes ??

I do wear glassess underneath the goggles, so maybe with the goggles ontop its doing something to distort my vision much more than my eyes can handle?

TBH I have no idea the exact cause, its obviously related to either the 3d or the goggles, but what its exactly doing to me I have no idea.

IMO it is because the eye muscles get stressed a lot. Basically the current 3d technology forces you to see certain parts of a scene using depth of field. If some other part of the image (which is not in focus) gets you attention, you eyes automatically try to get that object in focus, and they can't.

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

:doh: Straigt and forward! Jonathan Post needs a psychiatrist !

I will never accept to become a part of a machine, of someone’s silly Frankenstein invention!

This think will never pass health and moral qualifications, for obvious reasons of course !

Stop offer importance to this bullshit !

Edited by sungsam

DCS F16C 52+ w JHMCS ! DCS AH64D Longbow !

• 2 weeks later...
:doh: Straigt and forward! Jonathan Post needs a psychiatrist !

I will never accept to become a part of a machine, of someone’s silly Frankenstein invention!

This think will never pass health and moral qualifications, for obvious reasons of course !

Stop offer importance to this bullshit !

:DAre you mean ?! - or do you mean this ironic ?!

Did you followed my advise to browse the youtube channel of the "

" vid ?

It is a Prank ! :P

Here is the full story:

Edited by PeterP

It definetly does hurt your eyes, as watching 3d movies on the tv hurts my eyes and gives me a headache if I have the glasses on for too long.

Maybe doesnt do it with everyone, but it can cause sore eyes, **** knows if it hurts your brain tho, but I do get headaches if I have the battery operated glasses on for more than 30 minutes or so.

And you loose the real point of watching a movie, entertainment and relaxation.

One thing is for sure, I feels very uncomfortable in 3D movies in cinema. The 171 minutes of Avatar were hard to bear for me. Had to take the shutter glasses away a while all 15 minutes. I thought it might be due to a "bad" left Eye that is uncorrectable...but other people claim the same problems. 3D is not for me, sorry.