Help with potentiometers and usb controllers for DIY F/A-18C UFC.

Headwarp

So, I've had the TM cougar mfd's sitting around awhile.. and in deciding how I'm going to mount them to my obutto I also want to take on the project of making my own F/A-18C ufc. So I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than me can help me out here.

I do not need digital displays or anything as I fly in VR. I just want buttons in front of me to push instead of reaching for my mouse, But I'd like to include all dials knobs and switches.

So I'm having trouble figuring out a few facts I'm probably going to need to make this work,

out of all the usb controller board options out there, what is the maximum number of axes and buttons I can have for one input device? I'm sure that's limited by directx but could anyone point me to a board with the most? and clarify what my maximums are there?

Also.. is there a certain range of potentiometer I should be looking to use? for say the brightness and volume knobs?

And is a rotary encoder with a push button going to work for the COMM select knobs? AFAIK in-game and irl they turn continuously with no end in either direction right?

If there's a no solder method.. I'm interested in it. If anybody can point me to switches, pots, and rotary encoders, and buttons that allow for screwing down connections, if they exist, that'd be a great help. I'm in the US if anybody can point me to the best places for parts.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

....out of all the usb controller board options out there, what is the maximum number of axes and buttons I can have for one input device?

Commercial USB controllers like Bodnar BU0836A/X, DSD 12... typically allow use:

8 analog axes - seems because practically all games follow this limit. VKB test their Njoy32 controller with 32 axes.

1 POV HAT - Direct Input allow 4, but most controllers and games keep using 1.

32 buttons - For compatibility, since this is the maximum visible in Windows Game Controllers, although Direct Input allow 128, most games follow this 32 limit.

Exceptions DCS /X-Plane 128, IL-2:Bo'X 64.

Buttons only version of controllers like Bodnar BBI64 and DSD 64 allow use 64 buttons or encoders, but no axes.

Some "DIY" controllers firmware allow use up to 128 buttons (8 axes and 1 or 4 POV HAT), same custom code for Arduinos.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Thanks sokol. This is purely going to be a DCS gadet, although I guess it could be useful in other sims for extra axes/buttons.

Just looking at the hornet ufc it has 9 total knobs.. so I might have to forgo one but it sounds like I should be able to fit all the toggle switches and buttons on to one.

I guess I just need to figure out if rotary encoders send button signals when turned, and purchase an adequate MCU.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Thanks sokol. This is purely going to be a DCS gadet, although I guess it could be useful in other sims for extra axes/buttons.

Just looking at the hornet ufc it has 9 total knobs.. so I might have to forgo one but it sounds like I should be able to fit all the toggle switches and buttons on to one.

I guess I just need to figure out if rotary encoders send button signals when turned, and purchase an adequate MCU.

You dont want to use pots on the UFC, use a rotary encoder.

Pots are used on the axis but non of the UFC inputs are one the axis.

(AFAIK).

Just a thought (I am busy putting together my Desktop UFC so in the same boat um jet as you) you do not need all the buttons and Knobs on the UFC. Certain ones you will only use at startup. I only put things I need in flight / heat of the moment on my UFC and other switchboxes.

No need for Radio Volume really, or HUD brightness etc. You set those when you have time and that is normally on the ground.

Just a idea, saves you space and ports...

The channel knobs are rotary encoders not pots, so they connect as buttons rather than axes.

There's plenty of info on hardware required on my thread here. I started off using a BBI-64 and encoders for everything, but wasn't happy with the knobs so eventually replaced them with pots connected to a BU0836A which I had spare. Having two separate USB devices isn't ideal, but it did free up a few inputs on the BBI-64 which meant I can use that for other stuff such as my landing gear lever.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

The channel knobs are rotary encoders not pots, so they connect as buttons rather than axes.

There's plenty of info on hardware required on my thread here. I started off using a BBI-64 and encoders for everything, but wasn't happy with the knobs so eventually replaced them with pots connected to a BU0836A which I had spare. Having two separate USB devices isn't ideal, but it did free up a few inputs on the BBI-64 which meant I can use that for other stuff such as my landing gear lever.

Brun your UFC is magnificant. Unfortunately a bit more than I'd like to pay for the parts @ shapeways though.

I think what I'd really like to do is hopefully a simpler enclosure with the dimensions of the UFC height and width, as I'm going to mount mine to my obutto revolution steering wheel plate set vertically, likelly with a layer of wood to mount my MFD's too as well. I'm tempted to put the buddy fox a-10C UFC above as well.

I'm kind of hoping for "one usb controller" to rule them all in regards to the UFC, as it stands I have a boatload of usb peripherals plugged in via powered usb hub, and continuing to add to it just seems like a cluster**** waiting to happen. But it'd be nice to enclude a pot for the JHMCS.

Gear lever, master modes and what not are easily handled by my g13. The ufc however I'd like represent what I'm looking at in VR.

Thanks for confirming how rotary encoders will function. So each channel selector basically takes up 3 buttons.

I wanted to make an F/A-18C/F-16 hybrid UFC but ultimately think the bug's UFC covers my needs for both, as well as gives me some extra axes for the only other combat sim I fly from time to time. By the time I finish this thing, I should never need to grab my mouse while in the air lol.

Some "DIY" controllers firmware allow use up to 128 buttons (8 axes and 1 or 4 POV HAT), same custom code for Arduinos.

^^ is this something that is "easily" achieved so to speak? Sounds like the best option for a single input device. Honestly 64 buttons sounds like plenty, given I can have 8 axes. 32 might be pushing it close, as I want to include the switches at the bottom of the UFC as well. I have to sit down and count everything on the UFC again.

I've never made an input device so this is definitely going to be a learning experience for me.

In searching for which usb controller to buy, looking at teensy, arduino, and bodner I'm having trouble finding a simply put answer as to how many supported buttons and analog axes. At least I get that I'm limited to 8 axes and can work with that. My knowledge of this stuff is limited but I think if I can determine which specific board is best suited to my purpose, determining which wires need to go where is something I should be able to figure out, as well as programming the inputs. Deriving the limitations of each board through the technical data specs has me stumped, however, and I think that's probably my first step in tackling this. But if two usb connections are a must I will go that route. I guess that would allow for a little more creativity and the addition of more of the front panels if I chose to.

I'd probably be better off making my own account on forums related to the boards, but was kind of just hoping someone could offer a nudge off the top of their head lol.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

I'm having trouble finding a simply put answer as to how many supported buttons and analog axes. At least I get that I'm limited to 8 axes and can work with that. My knowledge of this stuff is limited but I think if I can determine which specific board is best suited to my purpose, determining which wires need to go where is something I should be able to figure out, as well as programming the inputs. .

The biggest Leo Bodnar board is about the best you're going to find without getting into specialized stuff. 8 axes, 32 buttons, 1 POV hat. Each rotary encoder will use two button inputs.

For the F/A-18C UFC and HUD control panel I'm counting 40 button inputs, so even if you use the 4 POV inputs as buttons (which works fine in momentary applications, like the number pad) you're still 4 inputs shy. There's 7 pots, which is fine.

I have an Arduino Mega running MegaJoy in one of my panels, it supports something like 64 buttons and 12 axis inputs (it show ups in windows/game as two devices). I will be replacing it with the aforementioned Leo Bodnar board, though. Arduino is cheap and can get the job done, but IMO it's an imperfect solution compared to dedicated hardware for the task. That and good luck figuring out the code to make an encoder work with it, I never figured it out.

Rotary encoders send out a specific pulse "code", this must be deciphered with the input board of the your choice before it will show up as a proper button press. The boards that support rotary encoders will have software to set specific inputs for rotary encoders.

If you connect a rotary encoder to an input board as if it was just another switch/button, it will not work properly.

You dont want to use pots on the UFC, use a rotary encoder.

Pots are used on the axis but non of the UFC inputs are one the axis.

(AFAIK).

All the assignments are there to my knowledge, and if not they're pretty trivial to add.
Edited by Deezle

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

The biggest Leo Bodnar board is about the best you're going to find without getting into specialized stuff. 8 axes, 32 buttons, 1 POV hat. Each rotary encoder will use two button inputs.

For the F/A-18C UFC and HUD control panel I'm counting 40 button inputs, so even if you use the 4 POV inputs as buttons (which works fine in momentary applications, like the number pad) you're still 4 inputs shy. There's 7 pots, which is fine.

I have an Arduino Mega running MegaJoy in one of my panels, it supports something like 64 buttons and 12 axis inputs (it show ups in windows/game as two devices). I will be replacing it with the aforementioned Leo Bodnar board, though. Arduino is cheap and can get the job done, but IMO it's an imperfect solution compared to dedicated hardware for the task. That and good luck figuring out the code to make an encoder work with it, I never figured it out.

Rotary encoders send out a specific pulse "code", this must be deciphered with the input board of the your choice before it will show up as a proper button press. The boards that support rotary encoders will have software to set specific inputs for rotary encoders.

If you connect a rotary encoder to an input board as if it was just another switch/button, it will not work properly.

All the assignments are there to my knowledge, and if not they're pretty trivial to add.

Thankfully the DCS: F/A-18C hornet manual even states in most cases whether 3 position or 2 position switch.

And I count 40 inputs as well including both rotary encoders.

UFC alone would have need of 33 buttons including rotary encoders + push (or pull if pull exists, but that detail won't bother me too much) and 3 axes, with the Hud control panel taking another 7 buttons and another 4 axes.

with the hatswitch being in addtion to 32 input signals, I can probably get away with using one BU0836X for the UFC, and a second for the Hud control panel, which leaves room for more buttons/axes to play with.

Sounds like more than I actually need at the moment but I think it's going to work. Now I just have to go about figuring out my enclosures, and start ordering switches button and knobs, connectors, wires and all the fun stuff.

With that not only do i get jhmcs but I can add universal knobs for lights and such, and either a button/switch box. I'm liking it.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler