mission help!

Ice_Pick

hello,

I have gotten *decent* at the game and have started to experiment with the mission builder, I have created something that resembles a strike attack on a convoy(takeoff, fly at 10,000ft msl, refuel w/ tanker, attack convoy, destroy SAM, RTB) but have run into a few issues with the AI. 1st of all the tanker no matter how many times I set altitude for both way-points always starts at 10,000 then dives to 5,000 which i wouldn't mind if it wasn't flying over mountains. also the squadron of a-10s split up about halfway into 2 pairs and one RTBs and one lands on a hostile airfield! any tips or fixes would be appreciated (here's the file: https://ufile.io/y0omw)

Thanks,

Jamie:pilotfly:

P.S. any trouble with file please let me know.:)

Edited by JJflyer

DCS A10C / DCS Black Shark /DCS F-14/Persian Gulf map/ Nevada/huey/gazelle/f18/f16/ajs37/harrier/A-4

16gb 2400 RAM / Ryzen 5 3600 / ROG Strix RX 570 /750W thermaltake PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can't speak with authority since I've never tried to make a mission, but I've noticed in one of the Harrier training missions for AAR, the tanker takes the same kind of nose dive from 10000 to 5000 at one of it's waypoints. So this might be a common issue with tanker AI.

each waypoint (including waypt zero on the tanker itself) needs to have the altitude set.

if you are using the orbit command, it has it's own altitude setting which will override normal altitude waypoint orders.

1st of all the tanker no matter how many times I set altitude for both way-points always starts at 10,000 then dives to 5,000

Like Cik suggested, the tanker has an Advanced Waypoint Action on its first waypoint in order to have it orbit. This orbit action has its own altitude.

When I opened the Advanced Waypoint Actions, it was set to a little over 6000 feet. When I went into the orbit submenu, it set itself to 15000. In any case, you should double check this. Once it's set up correctly, the tanker should stop flying NOE over the mountains. ;)

also the squadron of a-10s split up about halfway into 2 pairs and one RTBs and one lands on a hostile airfield!

When I ran the mission, the tanker crashed into a mountain as the flight of A-10s was just about ready to refuel, and they then continued with their mission.

They attacked their target with Mavericks and rockets and then flew what seemed like a direct route back to Batumi, ignoring their waypoints. I guess they wanted to RTB as quickly as possible. Roughly halfway back they suddenly changed course and went for the nearest airfield, which was neutral, not hostile, BTW. I guess they decided to land ASAP because they couldn't make it back to Batumi on the gas they had left.

Some ideas:

After you fix the tanker's altitude, they should be able to refuel, and that could fix the RTB problem.

In any case, the waypoints towards to end let the flight descend way out over the sea. Down low, they burn more fuel. It should be okay to have them fly at 15,000 ft (or above) much further and only set the waypoints lower towards the final approach, maybe some 30 or 40 miles out.

6 Mavericks per aircraft is a lot. That's pretty much the Fulda Gap loadout. The missiles are heavy and draggy, and the launcher racks also create a hell of a lot of drag. I'm not saying it's wrong to load these missiles on the jets, but nowadays A-10s never carry more than 2 Mavericks (one per station). Then again, nowadays they're doing CAS missions against mostly footmobile enemies and that's not comparable to a deep strike. Just saying, depending on the scenario you're aiming at, 6 Mavs per jet might be a bit overkill. Especially against unarmed trucks. ;)

1thanks everyone, Igot it working, Quick question: how do you set airbases as hostile? and how do you set AI aircraft to bug out if 50% of their squadron were destroyed?

Thanks,

J

DCS A10C / DCS Black Shark /DCS F-14/Persian Gulf map/ Nevada/huey/gazelle/f18/f16/ajs37/harrier/A-4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

how do you set airbases as hostile?

Just click on any airport. In the panel that opens up on the right, select the Coalition from the DropDown.

how do you set AI aircraft to bug out if 50% of their squadron were destroyed?

My idea would be like this:

Assign the units some triggered actions that would make them quit the fight; "switch waypoint" might be a good idea, but additional actions like "reaction to threat" might also be required to override their current action if they're already in a fight.

The TRIGGERED ACTIONS menu can be found next to the ROUTE and PAYLOAD menus after selecting a group.

And then these actions need to be triggered when the group has lost half its units. I believe the trigger condition GROUP ALIVE LESS THAN should work very well here. :thumbup:

• 2 months later...
Just click on any airport. In the panel that opens up on the right, select the Coalition from the DropDown.

bump. Can you show a video I am having trouble getting it to work like that

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

bump. Can you show a video I am having trouble getting it to work like that

In the Mission Editor, click on an airport. On the panel that opens up on the right, where it reads "Coalition", click on the drop down and select either Neutral or Blue or Red.