I'm curious as to why people are finding this hard to fly?

Rotorhead11

I've been throwing this around for a week or so now. I'm able to pick it up into a hover, accelerate into the climb then maneuver and land it pretty much where I want, but people are saying this is hard to fly. What are the difficulties you guys are finding with it?

Afaik nobody really says it is hard to fly. It takes a bit to get used to of how little control input is required, but that's it.

A different question would be, if people are asking if every reaction of the helo is as it should be. But this is something you probably don't want to discuss - as I remember the last thread with you here...

• Like 1

I have a problem keeping it under control. All through training Eagle kept saying "Fly it with just two or three fingers use very small corrections". "Think ahead of what its going to do". Things like that. Its not hard to fly IMO, Its hard to control if you're used to hamfisting it and yanking the stick around. Its a mindset thing I guess.

I've owned it for a while and with help, coaching if you will I have learned how to "fly it" and that has helped a lot to improve with the other choppers as well. Then I go get in a ww2 bomber and wonder why when I move the stick 1/16 of an inch I'm not turning! :P

BSD Discord , BSD Website

If it doesn't hover, it just sucks and blows

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

OK two tracks showing a take off. Then a take off hover, landing, not my best, then another take off and landing. Both are with a Logitech 3d Pro and using grip rudders. It's all about finesse. Although to be fair I'm still a bit ragged ;)(1.5 not 2.0)

gazelle take off.trk

gazelle to landing.trk

I need to figure out how to put the control position on screen. I'll take a look at that later.

OK two tracks showing a take off. Then a take off hover, landing, not my best, then another take off and landing. Both are with a Logitech 3d Pro and using grip rudders. It's all about finesse. Although to be fair I'm still a bit ragged ;)(1.5 not 2.0)

[ATTACH]154933[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]154934[/ATTACH]

I need to figure out how to put the control position on screen. I'll take a look at that later.

RCtrl+Enter

[ATTACH]154933[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]154934[/ATTACH]

In both tracks, the Gazelle crashed shortly after takeoff.

I had the same problem playing your "Landing" track you posted on the 6th. Yurgon also had the same result when he tried your track.

I don't know what could be causing the problem unless it relates to VR on your end and not VR here. As I said on the 6th, we've had many track problems over the recent past.

Anyway, thanks for the tracks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

Doesn't seem to work in VR grunf.I've tried a bunch of key combinations, but can't find one that works just yet :(

Sorry about that, I don't have VR... :D

To answer your question, I don't find Gazelle hard to fly at all. It's not harder than other DCS helos, just different. It takes some getting used to and a lot of practice. Noone should expect to jump right in and fly like a pro in five minutes.

Rotorhead11, I don't get why you think that others find the Gazelle hard to fly?

Sure, it is a bit on the sensitive side, but I think that most players get the hang of it

fairly quickly (especially with some joystick curves) Once you get your Gazelle is up to speed,

you can actually get up and brew a pot of coffee. It is very forgiving in forward flight.

No problem discussing it. Just get annoyed when you tell people facts about how it flies and armchair Chuck Yeagers tell me, as a real pilot, I am wrong.

Amen to that!

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Once again, I will repeat that the FM problems are not about it being "too hard to fly". I can fly it just fine, that doesn't mean the FM isn't completely wrong.

You were given a very clearly articulated question regarding the flight behavior of the gazelle, and responded to this by posting the guy's PM to try to ridicule him.

The gazelle's cyclic is centered (!) when at its maximum velocity in the current FM. It's a very simple, clear observation that you should be able to give us some insight into.

Either

A. the flight model is way off.

B. the real life gazelle flies in a completely different way than most conventional helicopters. Well, does it? Does the position of the cyclic always snap back to dead center, no matter what the flight configuration is (full speed, hover, etc.)?

ed: NOTHING disrespectful or "intolerant" here, whatsoever.

• Like 1

I don't know what you guys are talking about with the flight model I'm not going to get into whether it's accurate to the gazelle or not because I have never flown the gazelle. But from my experience in Kiowas and Hawks it flies like a helicopter. Every helicopter is going to behave a little different.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you ready to take your chopper flying skills to the next level?

Then check out http://www.blacksharkden.com/ Or visit us on Discord https://discord.gg/kaayJ5z and talk to some of our awesome pilots today.

Dear Rotorhead,

What I find hard is to get it into a hover with four HOT3 missiles and with about 50% of fuel. I need to take the chopper near to its torque limit and since the overtorque alarm only lights up I often miss it and subsequently crash. I was wondering whether the real chopper had also an audible warning that helps in such situations. If there is none, do you have any advice on this matter? Thank you if you could provide any feedback.

:thumbup:. For the BO-105 for example (more "difficult" to fly because of the hingeless rotorsystem). A pilot told me that when you raise the collective, the nose wants to go up and the helicopter wants to roll left. Also, when you pull down the collective too fast, the heli trys to do a forward flip.

Consider that the old helicopters doesn't have a super computer manged flight correction system. On the old helis, everything is up to the pilot. That's why I think you can only learn to fly a helicopter with the good old ones :)

I don't know what you guys are talking about with the flight model I'm not going to get into whether it's accurate to the gazelle or not because I have never flown the gazelle. But from my experience in Kiowas and Hawks it flies like a helicopter. Every helicopter is going to behave a little different.

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

Lead 3D Artist - TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BO-105 PAH1A1/VBH / HKP-9A / BO-105 CBS-5 KLH

Eurofighter Typhoon

https://www.facebook.com/PolyDynamicsDCS/

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

Mainboard: Asus STRIX Z390-F

CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 64 Gb

Graphics: MSI GForce GTX 980 TI 4GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

Oculus Rift / Oculus Touch

Heavy Metal is the law ! :punk:

Okay I have to say I had trouble adapting to the Gazelle at first but after some hours and dialing down the controls (only using joystick as cyclic and collective and separate pedals) I'm actually finding it easy enough to fly and hover etc.

For me judging height above ground when landing is tricky compared to say the Huey which makes for a slightly dodgy landings at times. Having said that I'm getting more confident landing on buildings and such albeit a little rough at times and leaving a few small flames behind. :music_whistling:

I think as has been said the Gazelle needs very small inputs which for a beginner it maybe very intimidating and off-putting to facilitate learning but it does come with practice. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I've been throwing this around for a week or so now. I'm able to pick it up into a hover, accelerate into the climb then maneuver and land it pretty much where I want, but people are saying this is hard to fly. What are the difficulties you guys are finding with it?

Easy to say for a real life chopper pilot. Didn't I see you write that you even have hours in the gazelle? :smilewink:

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

When i first tried to fly the Gazelle all i could do is crash!:D

If I started in the air I could fly but not land. Very poor skills in this aircraft!:)

It took weeks of practice and a 20mm extension on the warthog before I could hover and land.

After making a home made cyclic and collective everything changed!

I had to re-learn to fly using two fingers on the cyclic and by making very small adjustments.

Even with this some adjustment of the curves and saturation needed to be made. Mostly to reduce the amount cyclic movement to achieve better control.

Now, after watching Eagle_Rising's vid, (Thank you for that!) and practicing the lessons therein,

I am "almost" a good pilot.:megalol:

So what made the most difference in my skills?

Practice. Practice, Practice!

20 to 30 hours worth!

I recommend Eagle_Rising's video to all pilots!

Thank you to Eagle_Rising and Rotorhead11

Hawkeye (Gazelle addict and proud of it!)

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

I have a lot of difficulty on the approach to a landing with the Gazelle. Sometimes I can't even make it inside the airfield boundary, let alone on the runway. Will somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

• Like 1

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..