Leatherneck Mini-Development Update

Hi All,

Many thanks for all of your support and excitement for the last update and additional images we posted!

It's always exciting to share what we're working on; and pretty soon we'll be coming close to sharing years of hard work with you.

As we move into May; the team progresses into a hard, month long crunch on the AJS-37 Viggen project.

Refrain from drawing any conclusions from this cursory information- but we're excited about growing closer to completing our second product and follow up to the MiG-21bis.

We'll soon be stuck neck deep in the superficial polishing stage. :)

In the meanwhile; we continue to work hard on the F-14A / B as well as the accompanying CV-60/1/2 Forrestal class carrier.

We've completed modeling of our flight deck crew; and will be modifying this base to suit all of the various crew you'd find on a busy carrier flight deck.

DeckCrewRangerThumbnail.jpg

Smell my finger

We've also already created the low poly version of this particular character; baked him down and rigged him.

Generally, all of our characters will appear just as detailed in the game as they do in these renders.

rigging_thumb.jpg

As mentioned in the last update, our goal is to try and include as many deck animations as we possibly can. Of course, it's quite possible that this particular feature will not launch together with the carrier or aircraft.

However, that has not stopped us taking our first steps with Motion Capture.

Here's a rough capture (pre-cleanup) of one of the many animation sequences we'll be looking to recreate

BeneficialQuaintAmethystinepython.gif

The past few weeks have been spent shaping the hull and major structures of the vessel, as well as more detailing on the island and associated components.

It's still early days; and while our team has had significant experience in modeling naval vessels in the past months- the Forrestal class is certainly a challenge.

We'll take another pass at our new base, make sure it is correct, and then move on to detailing the hull and major hull components.

Ranger_01_thumb.jpg
Ranger_02_thumb.jpg
Ranger_03_thumb.jpg
Ranger_04_thumb.jpg
Ranger_05_thumb.jpg

In the last couple of weeks, we posted a few images and .gifs in various places around the forum.

On the off chance that some of you missed these; here they are again.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record- keep in mind that these are still very early. :)

no_thumb.jpg
mptest_thumb.jpg
gif_thumb.jpg

We still have lots of cool F-14 related stuff coming up before we wrap things up and unveil the Viggen, but in the meanwhile, many thanks for reading this short update and for all of your support.

forrestal_b_01_thumb.jpg

forrestal_b_02_thumb.jpg

Thank you!

LS

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Thanks for the mini-update, Nick!

Waiting for the Tomcat update part 2 and the Viggen announcement!

:-)

Edited by Darkbrotherhood7

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Will continue to watch.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

In the meanwhile; we continue to work hard on the F-14A / B as well as the accompanying CV-60/1/2 Forrestal class carrier.

We've completed modeling of our flight deck crew; and will be modifying this base to suit all of the various crew you'd find on a busy carrier flight deck.

The past few weeks have been spent shaping the hull and major structures of the vessel, as well as more detailing on the island and associated components.

It's still early days; and while our team has had significant experience in modeling naval vessels in the past months- the Forrestal class is certainly a challenge.

We'll take another pass at our new base, make sure it is correct, and then move on to detailing the hull and major hull components.

Ranger_01_thumb.jpg
Ranger_02_thumb.jpg
Ranger_03_thumb.jpg
Ranger_04_thumb.jpg
Ranger_05_thumb.jpg

In the last couple of weeks, we posted a few images and .gifs in various places around the forum.

On the off chance that some of you missed these; here they are again.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record- keep in mind that these are still very early. :)

no_thumb.jpg
mptest_thumb.jpg
gif_thumb.jpg

We still have lots of cool F-14 related stuff coming up before we wrap things up and unveil the Viggen, but in the meanwhile, many thanks for reading this short update and for all of your support.

forrestal_b_01_thumb.jpg

forrestal_b_02_thumb.jpg

Thank you!

LS

Thank you Cobra, as usual all of this looks amazing. :)

The comprehensiveness of this project is astounding and I can't wait to see how it all comes together.

I'm particularly pleased that you are putting so much work into creating a 1980s experience for the Tomcats and I couldn't be more pleased with the choice of USS Ranger. I've been hoping for this experience since I was 8 years old and standing on her deck (in 1988 ). :)

I also find this part to be very exciting:

I think there will be some nice surprises in your future announcements. :D

Thanks for all the updates and pictures!

-Nick

Is it wrong that I'm more excited about the deck crew than the F-14?:D

Probably! hahahaha

:D

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just to be sure, in the next few weeks we'll see the official Viggen announcement?!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is it wrong that I'm more excited about the deck crew than the F-14?:D

I'm more curious what the animation will be when I can't line the Tomcat up with the catapult for launch. Something like this maybe??

Gordon-Ramsay.gif

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Oh and for the record, Cobra, thanks for the MINI update. I know I have given you a hard time, playfully of course:D, about your timing, but still good to see the update and look forward to more.

Edited by Raven68

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

"...and while our team has had significant experience in modeling naval vessels in the past months..."

Someone has to be the over analyzer and point out the implications of this...Might as well be me.

Looking at you, Iwo Jima and related ships and aircraft....

I want all of it.

- Moody

Great work LS, keep it up. :thumbup:

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]