WW2 era trainer?

Stratos

We're getting 3 jet trainers + a modded one, and those jets are not that hard to fly. Now the WW2 beasts with the tail dragger landing gear, huge torque and limited visibility are killing me, and we got nothing? I hope someone moves to give us a trainer for WW2 birds, this will be the perfect one I think. The Texan!

AT-6C_Texans_in_flight_1943_zpsnkf4ltl3.jpg

Oh and as the Jet trainers it can double as a light ground attack aircraft too!!

T-6GAlgeriaWar2.jpg~original

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would kill for a DCS AT-6, a Chipmunk, even a Tiger Moth or a Stearman with multicrew cockpit... :pilotfly:

S!

The deHavilland Chipmunk was a post WW2 trainer first flying a year after WW2 ended, 22 May 1946.

Otrher single engine candidates :

Stearman PT-27 KAYDET

North American YALE

Miles MASTER

Fairchild PT-26 CORNELL

Focke-Wulf Fw 44

Gotha Go 135

Henschel Hs 125

The Miles Master series would be an interesting choice, albeit good data might be hard to find

The Master I used a Rolls-Royce Kestrel

miles-master-m9-mk-ia-trainer-01_zpsicjnvmhg.png

The Master II a Bristol Mercury, and the Master III (below) a Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp Junior

5aster_iii_no_1_zps9idx9ror.jpg

Edited by Friedrich-4/B
Add article on Master I

I think the Texan will be more useful as was heavily used in all the allied countries, and also post war in tons of Nato and allied countries. And as I said it saw combat, as a FAC in Korean war, ground attack airplane in Algeria...

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

I think the Texan will be more useful as was heavily used in all the allied countries, and also post war in tons of Nato and allied countries. And as I said it saw combat, as a FAC in Korean war, ground attack airplane in Algeria...

I, too, totally agree that the Texan/Harvard series would be a first choice for trainer; the master was put forward as being an interesting choice, because it was a more powerful advanced trainer, with flight characteristics and performance being closer to that of a fighter.

(Just for interest, attached is a 1941 article from Flight magazine)

Edited by Friedrich-4/B
Add article

• 2 weeks later...

I have been asked to do a T6 by a few aircraft operators, I have always shunned it as we got alot of flak for doing the Hawk as a trainer and I wasnt sure how much appeal there would be for one.

I have access to 5-6 Harvards plus at least 20 pilots.

Would you guys want such a module in the future?

Same for the Tiger Moth, the amount of aircraft and pilots I have access to is insance, as well as a little time in one myself

Pman

I have been asked to do a T6 by a few aircraft operators, I have always shunned it as we got alot of flak for doing the Hawk as a trainer and I wasnt sure how much appeal there would be for one.

Same for the Tiger Moth, the amount of aircraft and pilots I have access to is insance, as well as a little time in one myself

Pman

In all honesty, ANY of the WW2 birds we have can be used as trainers. I call bull**** on that claim that the P-51 is too hard for new guys. A year and a half ago, I was one of these guys who had never touched a DCS module before.

Before any resources are allocated to trainers, I think the DCS WW2 scene has much higher priorities than WW2 trainers (like bombers, theater, units, and ground attack planes). In the end, a developer has to make money. People will be much more receptive to the idea of forking money for a combat module.

I wouldn't buy a WW2 trainer and I agree there are far more important things to spend time on developing, especially since some of those are pretty good training aircraft themselves. A good example is the Ju-87. It is not a complicated plane and was known for being very easy to fly. It would make a suitable training plane while also being a critically important combat type. I suspect it would have far broader appeal as well.

If someone is insistent on making a dedicated trainer though, I'd recommend one with the broadest possible appeal rather than an obscure or exotic type. As such, there is only one viable option, the AT-6 Texan. It was the main trainer type used by all the major allied air forces of WW2 and continued service far beyond WW2 around the world. It also has marginal combat capability, which is always a bonus.

Pman

Tiger Moths and their pilots are awesome :D

for training i see little point since its just as complex as any other piston fighter of the era, would like to see a t-6 though just because i like airplanes

“The murder of a man is still murder, even in wartime.”

-Manfred von Richthofen

Honestly I don't see the purpose of including trainer aircraft in DCS. The Hawk and such are nice but they're not actual combat planes so why bother. Trainer aircraft are needed in the real world because combat aircraft are expensive and dangerous to fly. But those limitations don't apply here. Not sure why the effort has been put forth lately to create these trainers, I don't think they will sell very well.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Honestly I don't see the purpose of including trainer aircraft in DCS. The Hawk and such are nice but they're not actual combat planes so why bother. Trainer aircraft are needed in the real world because combat aircraft are expensive and dangerous to fly. But those limitations don't apply here. Not sure why the effort has been put forth lately to create these trainers, I don't think they will sell very well.

Actually the Hawk does have a combat role, the hardpoints are designed to carry weapons which includes sidewinder missiles, it would be quite a capable light strike aircraft.

Trainers are a fine idea, this sim should be enjoyed for flying as much as combat.

They even experimented with putting bombs on Tiger Moths and the combat version of the T-6 is called a Mosquito

Edited by bongodriver

Pman

Pman, can only speak for myself, but I'm not looking to buy any kind of trainer planes. I'm a noob in DCS that started with P51D, don't think it was that hard to get it flying.

It is my belief that even though you have access/info on your desk to all of these trainer planes, both parties (costumers & developers) would benefit mostly if you put those resources to bring say 1944 Normandy alive . Bombers, terrain, bla,blah,blah. Thanks, keep up the hard work.

Specs: i7-4790K @4.00 ghz, EVGA 2080ti , 16GB ram, Samsung 512GB SSD x2.

Gear: Virpil Alpha stick with Mongoos T-50CM2 throttle, Combat-Pro flight pedals, Track ir 5 & Reverb G2

Pman, can only speak for myself, but I'm not looking to buy any kind of trainer planes. I'm a noob in DCS that started with P51D, don't think it was that hard to get it flying.

It is my belief that even though you have access/info on your desk to all of these trainer planes, both parties (costumers & developers) would benefit mostly if you put those resources to bring say 1944 Normandy alive. Bombers, terrain, bla,blah,blah. Thanks, keep up the hard work.

I second that emotion.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Pman

With multi-crew...maybe interested in a T6/Havard in couple of years' time when we've got a decent selection of other WWII birds and a mix of fighters and ground attack. Historically it's also been used for COIN and other bits so could have a nice little ~1950's campaign built around it.

Definitely wouldn't be a primary purchase though.

The Tiger Moth would be a curio and a novelty but honestly I think while I'd certainly enjoy an hour or two in a DCS level one, I don't think I'd buy one.