TMS-L/CMS/MIC/Pinky necessary? Where are the flaps buttons?

Archer7

Hey, I'm a keyboard keybinding monster and am working on intuitive A-10C bindings.

I’m going to share my current work on my bindings and in the meantime anyone else can share their bindings if there’s anyone else here who is too wealthy for a cheap joystick and too cheap for the Thrustmaster Warthog… in other words a true, tested keyboard jockey.

First of all I moved flying to [WASD] because it allows me to have nose-wheel steering or the rudders on [QE] or [ZC] depending on what turns out the most convenient with wheel brake on X and autopilot and ejection on [QE] or [ZC] depending on which ones are available.

Trimming is [CTRLWASD].

(This was not strictly necessary as I ended up with my [arrows] unbound and bound the coolie switch to them, with the coolie switch easily fitting elsewhere. Maybe I will switch steering back to the [Arrows] to clear up the entire main keyboard cluster for other stuff, we’ll see eventually.)

I bound the Coolie switch to the [Arrows].

All the other controls are on the Numpad:

Slew on [2468], DMS on [CTRL2468], Boat on [153] and China Hat on [79] and TMS on [0,ENTER] with TMS Left unbound.

I have the engine controls on [LALTRALT] with

[*] for on or [/] for off.

[+-] to throttle up/down and [LALTRALT] with [+-] to throttle only left/right up/down.

(If I move steering back to the [Arrows] I might switch [LALTRALT] to [RALTRCTRL].)

That was I have all HOTAS commands except for TMS Left, CMS, MIC and Pinky switch.

Do I need them?

TMS Left I believe only starts warning sounds? CMS I have on auto, is that a horrible thing? I don’t understand the function of MIC but have to my knowledge never used it, yet. Pinky only changes your exterior lights apparently… can’t this be done on the left front dash?

Oh and one more thing: air brakes. I still haven’t used them a lot and will try binding them to something once I get a good feel for how they really work.

I’m going to experiment with this set-up. I may end up moving flight and steering controls and the Home cluster is intentionally free because I have Home, End, PgUp and PgDn bound to my mouse and may stick some miscellaneous stuff there (click cockpit on/off) for convenience.

I’m also going to try binding air brakes, CMS and maybe TMS Left to something eventually.

Oh and trigger on [space], weapons release button on [RALTSpace], master mode control button on [M]… unchanged.

Oh and one more thing! Flaps… how do they work? I haven’t seen any cockpit buttons for them and nothing on the HOTAS. I’m assuming there’s a cockpit button I’ve missed and I’ve considered them to be non-essential bindings yet.

After all of this I’ll get down to all non-essential commands such as camera, flaps, gears, kneeboard and whatever other useful I can find.

TMS left resets all sensors of interests which I find I need quite often on the TGP. You need a functioning CMS switch to control countermeasures with and to power on your ECM. The pinky switch is for your external lights and the mic switch switches between VHF AM , VHF FM and UHF radios. In my opinion they are all needed and used on all missions. The A10C manual has a great breakdown of all of the HOTAS functions for both the Sick and Throttle buttons. It explains what each button long and short does and is printable. Flaps is left shift + F and are incremental at 10 deg, 20 deg and thirty deg. Then back up. They are essential. But like the previous post said get a HOTAS I have the Ch Products HOTAS and am very happy with it and have most all of my controls binded to them. I can add more if I need also.

Edited by Pinefang

Countermeasures on auto drops your Flares and Chaff if any Missile Launch is detected by the MWS Missile Warning System, even Friendly Missiles Trigger it.

So you might be empty on CMS before reaching the Target Area.

Specs:

System: Asus Z170-E, I7 6700K, 16GB DDR4, Asus GTX1070 8GB, 1TB M2 SSD + 2x 250GB SSD,TrackIR, TM Warthog, Saitek Rudder

Modules: A-10C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, F5E, M2000, AJS37, AV8b, F18C

Auto CMS is garbage. At the bare minimum use Semi. Auto will waste all your chaff long before you need to be dropping it. Countermeasures systems in DCS are not sophisticated enough to be left alone to make decisions for you. Ideally manual is the way to go because the threat logic of the CMS is borked.

I'd say that flaps are essential controls for every airplane, ever (as long as they had them anyway). Speed Brakes are considered important enough to be on the throttle HOTAS. The Flaps lever is on the base of the throttle to the left of the track for the throttle handles.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Which joystick are you using?

:doh:

TMS left resets all sensors of interests which I find I need quite often on the TGP. You need a functioning CMS switch to control countermeasures with and to power on your ECM. The pinky switch is for your external lights and the mic switch switches between VHF AM , VHF FM and UHF radios. In my opinion they are all needed and used on all missions. The A10C manual has a great breakdown of all of the HOTAS functions for both the Sick and Throttle buttons. It explains what each button long and short does and is printable. Flaps is left shift + F and are incremental at 10 deg, 20 deg and thirty deg. Then back up. They are essential. But like the previous post said get a HOTAS I have the Ch Products HOTAS and am very happy with it and have most all of my controls binded to them. I can add more if I need also.

You mean resetting the TGP to pointing straight forward? Not something I do a lot yet. If I want it to point somewhere I usually drop a SPI and slave everything there.

Maybe I'll find a binding for it though.

What does switching between VHF FM/AM/UHF mean anyways? Is it the same as simply turning them on which by default is LSHIFT/LALT+Num-/+?

I just remembered that... I suppose I should bind that to somewhere, maybe 123 or something close to the F-keys that are used for communications anyways.

What does the pinky more specifically do though? I've never used it and there is a light switch on the forward left dash. Not the same?

Auto CMS is garbage. At the bare minimum use Semi. Auto will waste all your chaff long before you need to be dropping it. Countermeasures systems in DCS are not sophisticated enough to be left alone to make decisions for you. Ideally manual is the way to go because the threat logic of the CMS is borked.

I'd say that flaps are essential controls for every airplane, ever (as long as they had them anyway). Speed Brakes are considered important enough to be on the throttle HOTAS. The Flaps lever is on the base of the throttle to the left of the track for the throttle handles.

I have noticed CMS running out quickly so I suppose I should learn them.

I just remembered where the flaps switch is... I watch it every now and then d'oh :doh:

Resetting SPI (TMS left) just disengages current SPI it doesn't boresight sensors (china hat back short).

Pinky manages light configurations- to set profiles from your lighting panel. You may have position lights on steady and collision lights set to on but if pinky is set middle then your lights won't turn on.

Mic switch would be necessary to get radio menus (I imagine since that's what it's only function is) and yeah cms auto is a waste. Cms is a 5 axis button controlling jamming(push in) as well as selecting programs (left -right) and start stopping selected program (forward-back).

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

:doh:

You mean resetting the TGP to pointing straight forward? Not something I do a lot yet. If I want it to point somewhere I usually drop a SPI and slave everything there.

Maybe I'll find a binding for it though.

What does switching between VHF FM/AM/UHF mean anyways? Is it the same as simply turning them on which by default is LSHIFT/LALT+Num-/+?

I just remembered that... I suppose I should bind that to somewhere, maybe 123 or something close to the F-keys that are used for communications anyways.

What does the pinky more specifically do though? I've never used it and there is a light switch on the forward left dash. Not the same?

I have noticed CMS running out quickly so I suppose I should learn them.

I just remembered where the flaps switch is... I watch it every now and then d'oh :doh:

Oops:cry: - I read that you had something in between a cheap one and a Warthog:lol: my bad!

Radio menu's from the MIC switch allow you to speak to ATC, other flights, JTACs etc. They just open a menu that allows you to contact the units that are listening/transmitting on a particular frequency. The A-10C has three radios, so you get three buttons to select them with. FM/AM/UHF is just the label used to describe which radio.

FM at the back (Frequency Modulation)

AM at the front (Amplitude Modulation)

UHF in the middle (Ultra High Frequency)

The throttle pinky switch is a sort of "lights master mode", rather than press lots of switches to get the aircraft dark, you just move the switch. If it's in the center "off" position, then your lights as set on the right hand lights panel won't do what you told them.

The switch on the left hand side of the cockpit is the landing/taxi light switch - sort of like a car headlight. It's for use when taxying and....you guessed it landing :).

and I agree - CMS auto is the only way to go if you want to lose all of your countermeasures before you get to the target area .

Sorry about the confusion - I just assumed you had a stick with very few buttons.

The answer to all these questions are in the A-10C Flight Manual :book:

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

No stick yet. I am searching for a cheap Thrustmaster Warthog if I ever see one at about half off.

Will have to spend a few days going back and forth between the default settings and trying new stuff with a keyboard.

Switching everything at once left my muscle memory awfully clueless.

SLEW - WSAD

DMS - LALT WSAD

TMS - LCTRL+SPACE (aft), SPACE (fwd), LCTRL + A (left), LCTRL + D (right)

BOAT - LSHIFT + 1, 2, 3

COOLIE - LSHIFT + WSAD

CHINA HAT - C (aft), V (fwd)

CMS - Hatswitch + a modifier on my joystick (nonmodified hat for looking around)

Flaps - keyboard default

Airbrakes - joystick (with modifier)

Throttle left button - modifier #2 + right hat

Mic - 1, 2, 3

Pinky - default

- zoom in, zoom out is throttle non modified buttons, nose up nose down also throttle nonmodified buttons

- NWS laser, weapon release, gun, master mode (modified) is on my stick along with unmodified hat for looking around and modified hat for CMS

Im not looking at the keyboard while operating these things, you dont have to move your hand over the keyboard just hold it at one place, works perfectly.

Edited by Fenderalac

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I./JG2

Oberleutnant Flieger

without a stick, it doesn't really matter how to operate the flaps, since you will never be able to steer your aircraft smooth enough to actually enjoy precise flight paths anyway.

Depends on how good you are with a keyboard :thumbup:

No stick yet. I am searching for a cheap Thrustmaster Warthog if I ever see one at about half off.

Just an FYI. If you are waiting, to buy a stick, until you find a $250 Warthog then it might be a while. $350 is about the lowest I have seen it go.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Depends on how good you are with a keyboard thumbup.gif

Seriously... NO

You can't do anything precise with a digital control. If you want to prove me wrong (no game physics) please do. I'd really like to see you pulling of a gunrun without a joystick 0.o

If you are looking for a cheap alternative I can recommend the X52 from saitek. You can get them for ~70€ on eBay if you are lucky. They are quite accurate and offer a very good HOTAS control. It is not that well craftet, but the price has to come from something

Just an FYI. If you are waiting, to buy a stick, until you find a $250 Warthog then it might be a while. $350 is about the lowest I have seen it go.

Yeah, I'll be waiting. In Sweden the new price in stores dropped to just under £350 last summer. If that happens again, meaning full warranty and easy returns, I'll strongly consider it.

Otherwise I’m waiting for at least under $300. Especially if it's used and without warranty etcetera.

Seriously... NO

You can't do anything precise with a digital control. If you want to prove me wrong (no game physics) please do. I'd really like to see you pulling of a gunrun without a joystick 0.o

If you are looking for a cheap alternative I can recommend the X52 from saitek. You can get them for ~70€ on eBay if you are lucky. They are quite accurate and offer a very good HOTAS control. It is not that well craftet, but the price has to come from something

A gun run? What sort of gun run? :lol: Any sort of gun run? Hitting targets on the ground with the cannon? Doesn't take nearly as much insane clicking as a level turn without autopilot.

I've never liked the look of the X52. Somewhat too "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".

Their Warthog-style stick doesn't compare to the Thrustmaster, IMO.

X55-Rhino.jpg

Look of the X52 belies its above average utility with DCS A-10C. Its a small sticking point but I would miss the dual-stage trigger more than I'd enjoy the split throttles if I found myself using the X55 I think.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

A gun run? What sort of gun run? lol.gif Any sort of gun run? Hitting targets on the ground with the cannon? Doesn't take nearly as much insane clicking as a level turn without autopilot.

I think it is really interesting you are putting yourself through this. I can understand you wait for the Stick you want, although I'd say anything is better than no stick. I'd really like to see a track or a video of you performing a proper gunrun with just the keyboard!

Look of the X52 belies its above average utility with DCS A-10C. Its a small sticking point but I would miss the dual-stage trigger more than I'd enjoy the split throttles if I found myself using the X55 I think.

Exactly my thought. Great stick, and I can kind off understand why they didn't bother to build a 2stage-trigger, you barely really need it. Apart from that, I can't imagine living without it in respect of flying the A10.

Could be interesting for WW2 fighters aswell: stage 1 - MG; stage 2 - cannons

Guest Izoul123

Oh my....the pure torture you are putting yourself through is incredible. I have no idea how you can even find this sim remotely 'enjoyable' on just a keyboard.

Go buy at least a cheap $30 stick and save up for TMWH.

Don't wait to long, as you're just forcing yourself to learn the sim in the most grueling/hardest/worst interface possible, and you will have to start over again with each input upgrade. You are severly nerfing your learning/use/enjoyment levels by not upgrading.

Track IR5+TMWH+DCS A10C=$590 USD

That's the cost of the sim and it's incredibly worth the price tag hands down. Actually I'm not adding rudders into the cost, but the above are my hands down 'minimum' must have for this sim. Of course that's not factoring a rig to run it balls to the walls, but I tell all of my friends when I show them it at my house it's a $600+ simulator.

People/friends I have had the: "Hmmm can do it cheaper without that." conversation with me, and I say "Yup, you can. Come over for a few beers and try what I'm talking about." I then bring them to my house, have them use TIR5+TMWH and it's the same reactions/experiences every single time.

"Eureka!"

"Oh...wow....now I get it/see what you were trying to explain!"

"Oh my...this is way better/easier to use!"

"Ok, never-mind, you were right."

"Want to sell me your stick and track ir 5 now for cash so the wife won't know?"

"Well now I refuse to use this sim without this setup."

It's not a 'brag' about having better controlers/etc. It's the pure love flight sims and having people enjoy them in the best experience possible, and sharing that. There are some people who are just doing the 'mine is better than yours' e-penis mentality. Ignore that. I'm just telling you please, if you enjoy any aspect of the sim and are serious about using it long term, get yourself the proper inputs to enjoy/learn it.

Either way, welcome to the A10C and enjoy your stay!

I think it is really interesting you are putting yourself through this. I can understand you wait for the Stick you want, although I'd say anything is better than no stick. I'd really like to see a track or a video of you performing a proper gunrun with just the keyboard!

Exactly my thought. Great stick, and I can kind off understand why they didn't bother to build a 2stage-trigger, you barely really need it. Apart from that, I can't imagine living without it in respect of flying the A10.

Could be interesting for WW2 fighters aswell: stage 1 - MG; stage 2 - cannons

Maybe I'll upload one :P

Oh my....the pure torture you are putting yourself through is incredible. I have no idea how you can even find this sim remotely 'enjoyable' on just a keyboard.

Go buy at least a cheap $30 stick and save up for TMWH.

Don't wait to long, as you're just forcing yourself to learn the sim in the most grueling/hardest/worst interface possible, and you will have to start over again with each input upgrade. You are severly nerfing your learning/use/enjoyment levels by not upgrading.

Track IR5+TMWH+DCS A10C=$590 USD

That's the cost of the sim and it's incredibly worth the price tag hands down. Actually I'm not adding rudders into the cost, but the above are my hands down 'minimum' must have for this sim. Of course that's not factoring a rig to run it balls to the walls, but I tell all of my friends when I show them it at my house it's a $600+ simulator.

People/friends I have had the: "Hmmm can do it cheaper without that." conversation with me, and I say "Yup, you can. Come over for a few beers and try what I'm talking about." I then bring them to my house, have them use TIR5+TMWH and it's the same reactions/experiences every single time.

"Eureka!"

"Oh...wow....now I get it/see what you were trying to explain!"

"Oh my...this is way better/easier to use!"

"Ok, never-mind, you were right."

"Want to sell me your stick and track ir 5 now for cash so the wife won't know?"

"Well now I refuse to use this sim without this setup."

It's not a 'brag' about having better controlers/etc. It's the pure love flight sims and having people enjoy them in the best experience possible, and sharing that. There are some people who are just doing the 'mine is better than yours' e-penis mentality. Ignore that. I'm just telling you please, if you enjoy any aspect of the sim and are serious about using it long term, get yourself the proper inputs to enjoy/learn it.

Either way, welcome to the A10C and enjoy your stay!

Well, not all med students and video game collectors have $600 lying around :P

At least not dedicated to one game that I've been playing for a few months.

I've only spent $600 on two or three of my favorite video game series so far.

I could buy headtracking, HOTAS, stand, pedals, quality headset, eyefinity monitors, an aircraft chair and why not build a whole cockpit while I'm at it but I'd rather wait for a $300 Thrustmaster, build my own headtracking device and kick back in my IKEA chair.

I'm not crazy about flight sims and after searching around some DCS seems to be one of the few with modern aircraft and that suits my taste but I'm quite confident I could sell off the Thrustmaster if I get completely bored with the A-10C and ED get side-tracked making WWII craft for several years.

Edited by Archer7

CH is a good choice for DCS controllers as well. For a little over $300 you can get all three, Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, less than the cost of the TMWG. Their quality is very good since the company makes industrial and military controllers as well.

The Fighterstick is perfect for A-10C since it's an exact replica of the F-16 style used in the plane. It lacks a 2-stage trigger and doesn't twist so you'd need the pedals. It has a large throw and a light spring and so is accurate enough to write your name in bullets on the target.

The throttle isn't an exact A-10 style but has enough buttons to map every HOTAS function without modifiers. It's not dual but DCS has keyboard controls for starting and stopping each engine individually.

Some people find the pedals a bit narrow but that also means they fit in small spaces well. They're solid and will survive years of stomping on them with your feet.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 5 months later...