Kickstarter Physical Extras

The general idea is not bad but the problem lies in the 'future content' part. The best solution involves putting this whole thing to rest finally and completely, in a timely fashion. As it is, we have digital rewards that won't be available for as much as a year (not complaining about the timeline here). Having further credit points hanging over ED's head even beyond that time doesn't accomplish that, while still adding an additional bookkeeping task to the issue.

I have to agree better to put all of this behind us, but I was think more along the line of the point system that is already in place. ED would need to establish the value of a single reward tier and credit it to the backers profile just like they do when a customer purchases one or more modules at full price. I think this could be the easiest way to make everyone happy and essentially putting all of this behind us because the issue would be settled. This is just a hunch but any amount of coupon ED could give to the bakers to end this mess I assume would only be a drop in the bucket compared to any gains they predict on getting from future content.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

Dogs of War Dedicated WWII Server Thread

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree better to put all of this behind us, but I was think more along the line of the point system that is already in place...

Personally, I don't care for the bonus system, as it stands, so I would not be a proponent of such a solution.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Honestly I'm not even sure what I'm entitled to with the mix up of matrix vs original pledge vs new backer levels, etc. At minimum I should get a manual of choice and all flyables. At most a manual, tee shirt, alpha access, and all flyables.

All I really want is just the flyables, alpha access if it's ever available, and we call it even. IMO ED should not be on the hook for anything more than that even if it was promised by what I consider a failed Kickstarter campaign.

If ED had not picked up the ball for all of us, we would be left with nothing.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

I chose to get three aircraft manuals myself, but after seeing this thread I went back and changed mine to none. I'm just happy ED has decided to carry on with this project and I don't want to put any extra burden on them. I know there is a lot of expense involved in this and the kick starter probably didn't even cover the tip of the iceberg. Thank you ED. I love your Sim and have almost all your products. I will continue to help support all future endeavors that I can afford!

Sent from my ONE_TOUCH_960C using Tapatalk 2

I backed this project because I wanted ED to expand in popularity and hopefully incur greatly increased profits with a final goal of reducing the huge timelines it takes to develop new airframe, maps and new in game content (i.e. the greatly anticipated F-18 and the release of EDGE and maybe its SDK)

I couldn't give 2 cents about printed manuals everyone has a portable device to display pdfs, or as many others have stated take it to a print shop and get it professionally bound. When it comes to WW2 aircraft a printed manual is really required when compared to a A-10C or F-18C avionics level.

The strategy guide? Well i envision this as the same 5 chapters that were included with every boxed flight sim that we purchased prior to the digital only era. i.e How to Initiate the energy fight, the turning fight, the two circle fight, the one circle fight, the break turn, the barrel roll, the scissors, rolling scissors, dives, yo-yos, Immelman, split-s....etc.....

T-shirts? I can go to target and buy a popgun tshirt for 8 bucks.

Posters oh boy....still not flying new content with other DCS lovers.

So when I pledged I tried to avoid the t-shirts the manuals and go for the most free aircraft possible....and honestly due to the very un-well described pledge levels I'm still not really sure what free aircraft I'm entitled to.

One final note is this is an opportunity to trash the completely separate build of DCS WW2 and keep everything in one module....multiplayer games could determine what timeline you want to join into...and I for one would like to keep DCS under one hood so to speak.

I also would welcome someone to develop a civi jet airliner so DCS could steal all the former FSX/Prepar 3D crowd customers and once again expand there customer base in hopes of reducing new content timelines significantly.

Cheers all, and thank you to ED for picking up the ball on this one. Now please hurry up and get that F-18 released.

I would prefer Wags training missions to a strategy guide personally... I can crack open Shaw's book for tactics and such :)

+1 That's the only thing that got me checked out on the A-10C! :smartass:

Personally I don't care for any of the extras I put in $300 just to make sure the kickstarter succeeded :)

Poll?

+1

Although extras were offered at the level I backed, the reason I put my money down was to support the project. Given what has happened, if there is a choice between a member of the dev team spending days writing a strategy guide or working on the sim, it's the latter for me every time. Likewise, if the costs of printing and binding extras like manuals, strategy guides, t-shirts etc will significantly reduce the budget for the development of the aircraft and map, I know which I'd rather not have.

Edited by Bounder

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

For me forget the T-shirts, posters and guides. At the $300.00 level I also have 6 planes x 2, the 47, Spit, 109, 262, 190D and P51. I already have the 51 so I don't need 2 more. I would not object to rolling that back to 1 each and forget the other 2 51's, unless the one of the 51's would be needed for DCSWW11.

I would rather see the RRG/ED team working on the actual aircraft and map, and could care less about the "extras". The manual in PDF format is fine for me and has a much smaller carbon-footprint than a printed manual.

I just really appreciate ED taking on and continuing this project, and don't want them to be burdened with anything else.

It would be great to have some in depth training videos however.

I picked my pledge amount based on the fact that i should receive a printed manual (besides all the planes)... I bought the KA 50 manual and printed my own for the A10.. but if they need the funds elsewhere, i will print my own :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i always, since the backer rewards side was up, selected i think 6times alpha access to make sure to not get any physical goods like a backer tshirt i would never wear anyway, as i felt, that RRG putting any money into these things had been a real waste of resources anyway...so i do not need them at all, and would rather see, the company using the available resources for development, to make this a success project.even more so now that ED is on doing it.

EDIT:just to be clear, the above was in regards of any physical items, i do care about my flyables selection and alpha access for the planes.

Edited by 9./JG27 DavidRed

The most important factor is that Eagle Dynamics are able to complete the project without the added complication of expensive extras.

At the $250 level I receive 6 aircraft which is great value on it's own.

I really don't need the second set of keys for each aircraft.

The poster and alpha access are not something that I'm interested in, and although it would have been nice to have a DCS T-Shirt, I'd rather see the money going into game development.

The Strategy manual seems difficult, you can just print out a copy of "In Pursuit".

The printed aircraft manuals were one of the main attractions, but again I'd rather see the resources going towards the final release.

The only issue that remains is to find a substitute reward for anybody who pledged at one of the higher tiers. One idea could be a discount, or maybe free keys, for future aircraft releases. The VEAO Warbirds Collection has some definite possibilities there!

Thanks again to Eagle Dynamics for keeping this dream alive.

Edited by Screamadelica

In this order....

$60 level

My hopes are

1. DCS WWII will be completed

2. That the Spit and P-47 will be added at some time

3. D-Day map added

4. I would like a T-shirt, but not to the exclusion of the above.

Steve

Edited by Zapper
added level

The important stuff here are:

* The planes

* The Normandy scenario

* Alfa+beta access

* Map SDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

I pledged 80$ and would like to receive the 2 promised hardcopied airplane manuals. In my opinion, these manuals are very important, in order to fully understand and master your airplane, given the high level of realism of the cockpits, FM, DM, in this Sim. Long documents are not to be read on the screen. And even after having studied carefully, you should keep them close to you, pilot, while flying, for quick checkings.

Had ED sent the definitive version to a professional printing workshop to be printed in numbers (specially knowing the exact amount of units required) with simple o-wire binding, the cost would not be too expensive. And we do not need the documents urgently so they can be mailed in advance as a non-urgent parcel, so again this cost would be affordable. This IMHO.

Sorry for the grammar mistakes, English is not my mother tongue.

Edited by FAE_Cazador

For the amount I invested the important things to me are the aircraft and map. The physical items (t shirt, posters, manuals) are not really required and not why I backed the project. I can definitely live without them. Coming from the Il-2 series, this project was a good first step to recreate the WWII environment so I invested in this endeavor to help ensure it comes to fruition. I would like to see 90+ players battling it out in a multiplayer server just like in the golden days of Il-2... That was a blast.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

My thoughts on this:

The rewards offered for the kickstarter funding are awesome and I'd like to have them. This is unless it puts ED in financial trouble. DCS is my favorite SIM and I backed the project because I am really keen on it. I'm happy it will be continued after what ever happened with RRG, but if the rewards somehow affect ED and therefor possibly ending the future of DCS is not worth it.

I'm more than happy to not have the physical rewards (gimmicks) but it would be nice to have our support recognized in some small way that will not tug at the ED purse strings too much. Something like the loyalty credits would be fine by me.

• Like 1

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

I wouldn't mind not having T-shirts. But I 'd like to get the hard copy of the manual for the Spitfire.

Unless this put financial strain on ED, in which case I could do without it.

I 'd like to have alpha & beta access, given that it doesn't cost to the project development. Even if this means that I have to sign a NDA.

What I 'd like to see the most however, is the SDK being released to the community. What DCS lack the most right now is maps. Releasing the SDK to talented persons will make me optimistic about the future of this sim. Even if moderate quality maps are made, I 'd consider them a welcome addition.

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

Sith,

This is a pretty interesting discussion. Many angles to consider.

My first question is: Do you guys have access to the backer website and are you able to view what people have chosen for their rewards? I'm just curious if you could use that to gauge where peoples interests were along with the feedback here. I think most were so worried this whole thing might just vanish in the night, we'd be happy just to see the sim actually become a reality now. The backer rewards were thrown around like they had unlimited resources and I guess we all wanted to believe they could handle it. I appreciate ED trying to pick up the pieces and honor what was promised...whether they are legally obligated or not.

As for me, early development perks were a big selling point and convinced me to pledge what I did. I'll admit I did have high hopes for the printed manuals, I envisioned them being printed on glossy paper, hard bound and taking the form of a true backer reward. Over time, one thing that worried me was that it might be a bad idea to distrubute them prior to ironing out issues and tweaks with each aircraft once they are released. So ultimately, I'd be fine with these being offered later and maybe a package purchase option? Aircraft + manual for people who want them.

I really don't have an interest in a printed strategy guide or a t-shirt reward.

The signed developer print is a bit bittersweet at this point, but if it was an option it would be very cool to have something from the guys that actually made it become a reality.

A custom aircraft skin is not a big deal either. There are plenty of custom skin options out there.

Alpha access IS important to me and defintely something I'd like to retain.

Having copies of all aircraft plus duplicates to gift out IS important as well.

And of course... The Skype development meeting holy grail has been an elusive sucker. When deciding which level to contribute this just really appealed to me and I thought having a behind the scenes peek at the progress and some solid information on how things were going sounded great to me. So this is where it gets tricky, as much as I'd like to say I'm happy the money is going to a good cause, if this specific reward does not become availible there would need to be some sort of equivalent offer to keep me a happy customer. ED partnered with RRG, and it looks like we all got burned by this experience to some degree.

To end on a positive note, we have an incredibly helpful and talented community and it is refreshing to hear people focused on the most important things like making sure the sim itself keep moving forward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

• ED Team

I'll touch on these, mostly from my personal opinion, so these arent set in stone.

First, I dont think they have control of the KS page, I dont know at this point how much they have as far as info on who has what.

Second, this is all about the physical rewards, in game skins and campaigns and such, I am sure those are going to be no issue, although may wait till we have the map and DCS WWII, but I dont know.

The manuals, whew that is tough cuz I print EVERYTHING lol... I love having a printed piece in my hands, and I will print every Manual ED puts out. But I work at a printshop, I can do it all myself for the price of paper. I also know the costs associated with printing. Adding that to what I now know is the cost of creating an aircraft from Wags original announcement... well it makes me cringe a little. I dont know what will happen there, if enough people want manuals they may have to look into it, or they may have to figure something else out. I dont know... messy.

On Alpha, I am not sure ED can do this, and I only say this because Tester level access is basically Closed Beta. So I would think at most you could get early access to Closed Beta. But again, I dont know that any of this has been fleshed out. I think in most cases an ED Alpha would be something they would keep in house (Alpha for flight sims, specially on ED level can have moments of stuff that is pretty rough and not working, I am not sure, besides the early access, that it would be much fun for anyone), they could do access for closed Beta possibly through their current beta program maybe? I dont know how it will all work, and if they will have anything ready for the 190 on all of this.

I dont think the aircraft, or extra keys will be a huge issue, obviously there is a cost factor for ED, and I still personally believe (and I said this from the beginning) that Luthier gave up too much at the lower backer levels, for instance, 40 bucks gets you 6 aircraft, lets say they sell those for 50 bucks each normally... that is a lot. Even the free plane... I would have rather seen an FC3 level trainer than giving away one of these incredible aircraft ED is doing... /rant ;)

The Skype access and such, I think it will be unfair to hold the ED team to anything they cant or are uncomfortable doing. I dont know what they will decide right now, but I think that you will mostly see the backer updates like Wags said in his first announcement, I am not sure you we be able to get much more access than that. Things like that were pretty specific to Luthier himself. As it is now, the update demands of DCS WWII are outside of what the ED team is practicing with DCS World.

As I said though, this is just feeling things out and seeing where everyone is at.

Sith,

This is a pretty interesting discussion. Many angles to consider.

My first question is: Do you guys have access to the backer website and are you able to view what people have chosen for their rewards? I'm just curious if you could use that to gauge where peoples interests were along with the feedback here. I think most were so worried this whole thing might just vanish in the night, we'd be happy just to see the sim actually become a reality now. The backer rewards were thrown around like they had unlimited resources and I guess we all wanted to believe they could handle it. I appreciate ED trying to pick up the pieces and honor what was promised...whether they are legally obligated or not.

As for me, early development perks were a big selling point and convinced me to pledge what I did. I'll admit I did have high hopes for the printed manuals, I envisioned them being printed on glossy paper, hard bound and taking the form of a true backer reward. Over time, one thing that worried me was that it might be a bad idea to distrubute them prior to ironing out issues and tweaks with each aircraft once they are released. So ultimately, I'd be fine with these being offered later and maybe a package purchase option? Aircraft + manual for people who want them.

I really don't have an interest in a printed strategy guide or a t-shirt reward.

The signed developer print is a bit bittersweet at this point, but if it was an option it would be very cool to have something from the guys that actually made it become a reality.

A custom aircraft skin is not a big deal either. There are plenty of custom skin options out there.

Alpha access IS important to me and defintely something I'd like to retain.

Having copies of all aircraft plus duplicates to gift out IS important as well.

And of course... The Skype development meeting holy grail has been an elusive sucker. When deciding which level to contribute this just really appealed to me and I thought having a behind the scenes peek at the progress and some solid information on how things were going sounded great to me. So this is where it gets tricky, as much as I'd like to say I'm happy the money is going to a good cause, if this specific reward does not become availible there would need to be some sort of equivalent offer to keep me a happy customer. ED partnered with RRG, and it looks like we all got burned by this experience to some degree.

To end on a positive note, we have an incredibly helpful and talented community and it is refreshing to hear people focused on the most important things like making sure the sim itself keep moving forward.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png