Frame rate fix?

As all who bought it know (and many have heard), the Mi-8 has a pretty bad effect on the frame rates of some of us with lower-end PCs. Simple question, is there ever going to be any fix to this issue? Will we see a day where the DCS Mi-8 is much less demanding?

**NOTE: All replies that say something along the lines of "The fix is you getting a better PC" will be reported to the CIA, MI6, Mossad, KGB, NKVD, FSB, NSA, and FBI respectively. Please be kind and courteous in your postings :D

This post is protected by a pilot who has a serious lack of negotiating skills, but is absolute hell in a dogfight. If you do not belong here, please leave.

You have now been properly negotiated with.

MiG-29S Instant Action Mission Fix

Come check out and add to my list of all landmarks in DCS World!

^that works now

The fix is you getting a better PC!

I couldn't resist. :D

No, but I assume there will be some improvements. For the beginning try to turn of the mirrors. They are causing the biggest performance hit for me.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

As all who bought it know (and many have heard), the Mi-8 has a pretty bad effect on the frame rates of some of us with lower-end PCs. Simple question, is there ever going to be any fix to this issue? Will we see a day where the DCS Mi-8 is much less demanding?

**NOTE: All replies that say something along the lines of "The fix is you getting a better PC" will be reported to the CIA, MI6, Mossad, KGB, NKVD, FSB, NSA, and FBI respectively. Please be kind and courteous in your postings :D

if u can run the a10c module ok then youll have not much of a worry for anything else really.

Also noticed this, bought and do not use the Mi-8 for this reason. My point is not in the computer capacity and outdated game engine. Something only change with output EDGE.

ASUS Rampage III GENE X58 \Intel i7 920 (3623 MHz OC) \ASUS DirectCU Radeon HD 7970 \3 to 4GB Patriot PSD34G16002 \Enhance ENP-6610GA 1000W \SSD Intel 730 240GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB \Thermaltake Element G \42'' LG LE8500 (LED-TV) \steel floor-mounted stick \steel pedals AC-1x/FW-190 \Free Track (PS3 Eye) \Windows 10 Pro x64

Hello,

I possess the Mi-8 since his release and for me no problem with the FPS.

The only thing who drop the FPS are the mirors, I think that it's normal that the Mi-8 drop the FPS it's because the 3D model is very more complex that the Huey and KA-50 or A-10C.

Он this screenshot you can see the diference between the KA-50 and Mi-8 wheels:

10029271715_56b0a6449f_o.jpg

Also the Mi-8 possess three pilots and the other details, for me the 3D model of the Mi-8 is more complex module for DCS so it's normal that few persons meet a PFS drop.

The Mi-8 is one awesome module, I spend many time in this copter...

Bye, Skull.

• ED Team

as you seem very defensive about your pc, I am afraid to ask . . .

But I will . . .

What are your system specs ?

:)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

This is a high-end simulator which requires fast equipment if you want it to run smooth. If for whatever reason you don't have or cannot have the equipment, you're going to have to try to live with it, sorry to say...

Having said that, the Mi-8 is still in beta, so who knows what can happen :)

What are your system specs ?
Hello,

About my system specs :

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P

Intel Core I7-2600K OC @ 4.5 Ghz

16 Go de G.Skill Sniper 8 Go (2x4Go) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9

ASUS GTX680-DC2T-2GD5 2 Go

2 VelociRaptor 600 Go 2.5" SATA 6GB/s

2 Caviar Black 1 To SATA 6GB/s 3.5"

Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium

Corsair Professional Serie Gold AX1200

Corsair Hydro Serie H80

Windows 7 SP3 64 bits

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

ASUS 27" LCD VG278H 3D

But for Edge I know that I must upgrade my PC in the future. But for the moment wait & see...

Bye, Skull

Edited by Skulleader

I have similar specs, why do we have to update our pc for the Edge? I run over 60fps with everything in max.

Nobody actually knows what EDGE might need/want to run well. It may run just fine on what we have now. Anyone saying otherwise is just guessing.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I have similar specs, why do we have to update our pc for the Edge? I run over 60fps with everything in max.

It's just one idea, wait & see...

Bye, Skull.

• ED Team
Am I the only one who hope that EDGE will run actually much faster and at the same time give better picture on the same hardware? :)

Nope you are not alone, It has got to be better for ATI users, my frame rate on this medium end ATI card is shocking sometimes, but I can play all my DX11 games on max setting with no problems.

I know assumption is the mother of all . . . .

we will have to wait :music_whistling:

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Whole mi-8 is "round", so probably 3d model must be complex, to look good. Maybe, in time, they will optimize it with some tricks.

I'm not so sure

When you see a model textured, it always look much smoother and detailed, but untextured in a 3D software it's often low poly ( and quasi obligatory for flight sim use )

Personally, I think it is modeled with the same standard as all DCS models ... I mean, even the Blackshark or the A-10C are still state of the art products, the bar was pushed so high years ago that we do not see their ages ... and latest releases can't be better as it's the best achivebale with nowadays hardware.

I think next steps in graphics will be when all mechanical parts will be modelled in 3D instead of using textures to mimic... like bolts thread, wire locked nuts etc etc ... But we aren't far from perfection, isn't it ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

I also noticed lower FPS for the Mi-8 than for any other module. I am not sure however if this is graphics related, for the following reason: when I pause the simulation I can still look around the cockpit and outside as I move my head using trackIR. And no matter how fast I move my head, everything is smooth. As soon as I unpause the game, then when I move my head around quickly, it appears jerky.

So, I think the FPS drop is due to flight-model calculations, not graphics (at least on my computer). Maybe it has to do with the larger number of blades compared to the Huey...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

For me the Hip has the lowest FPS compared to other modules, I really hope they fix it when it's out of beta! Don't see a reason why it should have the lowest FPS.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

wow, some of those early replies...

Not all of us can afford a super duper high end computer. I am one of those who can't. I can run the Hog just fine but the Mi-8 seriously hits my system hard, so it's definitely more demanding. I'm sure your computers are just too powerful to notice, don't think for a second that its the same for all PCs.

/rant

This post is protected by a pilot who has a serious lack of negotiating skills, but is absolute hell in a dogfight. If you do not belong here, please leave.

You have now been properly negotiated with.

MiG-29S Instant Action Mission Fix

Come check out and add to my list of all landmarks in DCS World!

^that works now

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently getting 60+fps in mi-8. Before I messed with settings and my graphics.lua I was getting around 30fps. I also was running in borderless window mode. Now I run full screen. Something I did below did change the performance, I just don't know exactly which setting change did make the difference.

I did 2 tweaks in graphics.lua, which I have done for years with my DCS sims and it does make a "massive" difference for me. This will obviously work for all your modules, not just MI-8

Someone figured this out a long time ago and I can't remember who it was.

Hopefully it helps some of you.

I use notepad++ for tweaks.

My system specs in my sig. No slouch PC but it is modest, probably pretty average by todays PC standards.

*************Graphics.lua Tweak******************

File path:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Config\graphics.lua

First tweak (This seems to make a big difference):

Line 151

structures = {20, 20000};

Second tweak:

Line 190

maxfps = 400;

**************In Game Settings I Use***********************************

Textures: High

Scenes: High

Civ Traffic: Medium

Water: Low

Visible Range: High

Heat Blur: Off

Shadows: Low

Resolution: 2560 x 1600

Monitors: 1 Screen

Res. of cockpit displays: 512 Every frame

MSAA: Off

HDS: Off (I just don't like this - doesnt seem to affect my FPS when its on)

Clutter/Bushes: 210 m

Trees visibility: 6000 m

Preload Radius: 150000 m

Full Screen checked

Cockpit Shadows Checked

I hope this helps someone!

Cheers

Edited by Kaptn

Asus P8Z77-V

i7-2600K @ 4.5

EVGA gtx 670 FTW

Asus VG278HE @ 1920 x 1080

16gb DDR3

Win 7 64

PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

HOTAS WH

Track IR5

MFD Cougar Multifunctional Cockpit Panel

When I first got the MI-8 my Frame Rate went down to 10. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled it all fresh and the problem went away.

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals