DCS WWII: Europe 1944: Kickstarter Video 3: EDGE Terrain Engine

luthier1

I know someone who had the opportunity to test out a full blown F-16 sim being contracted for the USAF. He said the graphics in Falcon BMS are better, which means DCS is even further ahead!:P

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• ED Team

A true flight simulator has to have alot of qualities that we just dont have here, it has to have the same sensations of flight, realistic weather, etc or at least as close to possible or else its not going to be much good for pilot training ...

Look here:

http://www.sim-industries.com/

I think most of what they are doing here would blow away anything we have ever loaded to our PCs.... If you think that DCS World qualifies you to fly an A-10C, then you might be kidding yourself... of course if we ever get into a Zombie apocalypse type situation I am going to try and find me one ;)

They also said commercial, not government.... so who knows what kinda $$$ they are talking about

Not necessarily. I have never seen a full blown simulator, but given what can be done with proper multi-threading and well optimized code, not to mention that there is no reason for only one computer to be running the thing in the first place it may well be possible, even probable.

Customer's, especially, the 'government' types are very interested in off-the-shelf solutions whenever possible.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I saw a fun video where the Danish army was using Steel Beasts for tank crew training. They were running winXP.

The graphics in commercial sims are often poor, so you don't need crazy hardware to run them. It's the entertainment crowd that is usually more interested in seeing beautiful reflections than in having the systems work as they should.

the main difference is that for army simulators like that the scenery is MUCH less important and is not a priority.

They instead mainly focus on getting all the controls right, have the movement/flight behavior of the tank/plane correctly simulated , have the ballistics of the munitions correct, AND have a fully simulated battlefield environment with a large number of other objects (vehicles, tanks, planes etc) all moving around at the same time and interacting.

as such these military simulators are much more demanding on pc resources, and making the scenery look pretty is the last priority on the list.

Edited by rootango

The decision not to start world war three was not taken in the Kremlin or White House, but in the sweltering control room of a russian submarine being depth charged by US destroyers during the Cuban missile crisis. In response Captain Valentin Savitsky ordered the B-59's ten kiloton nuclear torpedo to target the aircraft carrier USS Randolf,which would have been vaporised. This launch required the consent of all three Russian senior officers aboard, and only Vasili Arkhipov refused permission.

Ta Luthier for the vid - very informative indeed :thumbup:

Why, oh why must the night fighters be so out of reach? :(

Burning_dollar_sign_20080817210345.jpg

We are definitely considering night operations, but not initially. There's too much that needs to be done, and we're trying to go lean initially. You need to have historical radar, searchlights, airborne radar and night interceptors with their own AI etc. It's a huge project. I don't think we could pull this at the moment, and if we add it as a kickstarter stretch goal, I am really not sure we'd be able to get the hundreds of thousands of dollars something like this would cost.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• ED Team

Thanks for the video and a look at what the team is doing.

really looking forward to this.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Illya mentioned the different requirements for a commercial simulator v. an entertainment product.

To give you an idea... Our commercial -airline- simulator uses the latest and greatest Thales has to offer. However, you won't find fire-extinguishers, tractors, houses (except for the odd high-rise here and there) or even trees in their scenery. Things that make scenery 'alive' and are vital(?) for an entertainment product. Even the mesh of the terrain is roughly on par with ED's _current_ terrain (non-EDGE).

Commercial simulators have the advantage as far as visual -cues- are concerned. "Things that pilots look for-" I believe someone said in the kickstarter video which is spot on. I have never, ever, experienced a stutter or a tear in a 'real sim'. It is completely fluid and it never misses a beat... because the rest of the scenery is sparse, almost non-existent. Fog really does look like fog and blowing snow is mesmerizing to look at. That's just the image side of things. Flight modeling is obviously more sophisticated in commercial products as well although I'm amazed at what Yo-Yo and Friends are capable of considering what they have to work with. More than adequate for an entertainment product such as DCS. Simulator developers such as Thales and Lockheed Martin get their data directly from the aircraft manufacturer. This data is vast and extremely expensive to purchase. They're not trying to fit curves found in an aircraft performance manual.

Anyway, off on a tangent. Very impressed with the images of EDGE so far. If framerate can keep up I'll be one happy camper for sure!

Edited by chaos

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

Yes, it is a good idea to keep talk of things commercial and gaming separate.

One thing which worries me, with regard to the screenies... understood it is that everything is in very very early stages - very early stages, but the terrain (noted is the qualifier of NO COLOUR CORRECTION) shown is eerily familiar. If Speedtree is being used... let's hope the LOD side of things scales well

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Im a bit confused ... is this part of ED's team or a 3rd party / partner.Their offices have windows :sorcerer:... though they lived in a concrete cave.

:D

BTW look at the guy's monitor at 2:10, I sniped a pilot render not really matching the WWII era, so they could be the ED guys helping for RRG...

TrailBlazer

Not necessarily. I have never seen a full blown simulator, but given what can be done with proper multi-threading and well optimized code, not to mention that there is no reason for only one computer to be running the thing in the first place; it may well be possible, even probable.

Customer's, especially, the 'government' types are very interested in off-the-shelf solutions whenever possible.

(@Luthier1)

Exactly, and this makes me hope that EDGE is not CPU core limited. Like 1 core audio, 1 core everything else as we have now.

Basically the question is, is EDGE good coding for multi-threading and the use of all available cpu cores.

Until now I haven't read it anywhere and I think it is such a strong promotional point. Wich makes me wonder why very much.

Anyway it is a really nice update, thanks!

• ED Team
This is a bit OT, but I'm really curious. Is there any "marketing" reason for everybody speaking Russian in these videos, or does nobody at ED speak English?

The team is Russian speaking only I believe, plus Anya would not look as cute speaking English :)

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I find it a bit odd that there should be not even a short generic flyover demo available in a graphics engine in 4th generation. How would they ever market their capabilities to commercial/military customers (- sorry, trust us it will look great, but we can't show you)?

Still, thanks for the update, nice to see Luthier roaming the planet in the pursuit of making this project happen.

MAC

A lot of the development is done in Russia and most people tend to, you know, speak Russian there. They may have some English but are probably more comfortable talking about technical things in their native tongue. Subtitles are just fine anyway.

Fair enough, but my experience with software development is the opposite. I feel more comfortable coding and speaking of code in English than my native Spanish. The technical terms and APIs are all in English anyway, and mixing languages sounds stupid.

But whatever floats their boat :thumbup:

Good insight, I feel that tech-wise they are telling us only a 10% of the story.

No one talked about APIs, 3D tech, GPUs or CPUs in this video. They are keeping this very non-technical, I suspect this will be a huge (positive) surprise in terms of scalability and performance.

I love the sense of humor going on in this video :D

Thank you, keep it coming!

Thanks for the update luthier.

(@Luthier1)

Exactly, and this makes me hope that EDGE is not CPU core limited. Like 1 core audio, 1 core everything else as we have now.

Basically the question is, is EDGE good coding for multi-threading and the use of all available cpu cores.

Until now I haven't read it anywhere and I think it is such a strong promotional point. Wich makes me wonder why very much.

Anyway it is a really nice update, thanks!

+1

We need the info whether this will utilize more than just 2 cores (1 for sound only as already posted), and will it perform better. That part is more important to me than the visuals.

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

Best video so far!

+1 for pics or even video of the 190 pit if possible!

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs

Flight Controls:Virpil VPC MoogoosT-50 / MFG Crosswinds / GVL Throttle / Oculus Rift CV1

This is a bit OT, but I'm really curious. Is there any "marketing" reason for everybody speaking Russian in these videos, or does nobody at ED speak English?

I would not be surprised if it is just that they feel their english is not well enough and thus feel uncomfortable if forced to speak in front of people - let alone in front of a camera. At least that is how I would feel. I think, my written english is understandable and I would certainly get my points across when talking to people, but I am not used to it and would feel really arkward. :o)

(this is btw & ot something that gives me headaches whenever somewhere teamspeak is involved ... lol)

I think subtitles are preferable to poor spoken English leading to misunderstandings.

Agreed. Subtitles are totally fine.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

One thing which worries me, with regard to the screenies... understood it is that everything is in very very early stages - very early stages, but the terrain (noted is the qualifier of NO COLOUR CORRECTION) shown is eerily familiar.

Heh! I had the exact same thought. Hopefully it's just unlit, uncorrected assets in the editor.

Fingers crossed they'll take a peek at what Team Fusion have been up to recently. :)

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S