Just seen Video. :O

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what you're talking about here...if you mean how they switched sides with the tail rotor, that has nothing to do with what direction the rotor head spins. It still provides thrust in the same direction, just on the opposite side of the tail.

Some people get confused when they look at a UH-60 tail rotor when compared to other U.S. helicopters, but rest assured, it still provides thrust to the left, just as a UH-1, H-53, or B206.

I'm pretty sure the answer as to why different helicopters spin different ways is as simple as someone chose one way, someone else chose another.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

When we're at it, can I have one OT question? Why do the rotors of Soviet-built helicopter spin in the exactly opposite direction than those of Western ones?

Only the United States does counter-clockwise, not "the West". European helicopters also spin clockwise, like the Russians.

Also, pilots don't care, they push whichever pedal they need to in order to make the aircraft point where they want it, it's a non-issue for transition training.

• Like 1

Only the United States does counter-clockwise, not "the West". European helicopters also spin clockwise, like the Russians.

Also, pilots don't care, they push whichever pedal they need to in order to make the aircraft point where they want it, it's a non-issue for transition training.

The answer is simple. European and Russian Aircraft are usually used east of the Prime Meridian, whereas American helos are flown west of it, hence they need to rotate the other direction :smartass:

:megalol:

Ah, right you are. Forgot about Euro ones. Quite a shame as I am from Europe. :)

However, I'd still like to know why the 'Mericans decided to do it the other way than the rest of the world.

Well, I'd happily test it as soon as you release the Hip. I'm pretty sure the first thing I do will be a uncontrollable left-hand spin, followed by a catastrophic crash. :D

Sure, it won't cause much trouble while in flight, but putting my stick a little bit left and aft off the center, together with stepping on the left pedal, became sorts of involuntary reflex for me when taking off with the Huey. I guess rewiring my brain for Mi-8 will take some time.

The answer is simple. European and Russian Aircraft are usually used east of the Prime Meridian, whereas American helos are flown west of it, hence they need to rotate the other direction :smartass:

:megalol:

When you think about it, it actually makes sense. Thanks! :lol:;)

I really love this type of information it's the stuff you wonder why someone would even know that! But in the end you end up wanting more and more great stuff.

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.

When we're at it, can I have one OT question? Why do the rotors of Soviet-built helicopter spin in the exactly opposite direction than those of Western ones?

The same reason why Europeans and Russians use Metric system while Americans use Imperial systems :D

This space is available for your advertisement