MI8 - what's the verdict ?

W1ndy

I don't know. I can go 280 km/h at sea level without shaking and without full collective. Autopilot active except for altitude hold.

attachment.php?attachmentid=88429&stc=1&d=1379986290

LOL Have you noticed your turbine temperature? :smartass: Vne is 250 kmph if I am not mistaken (@sea level ISA).

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

I bought it and I like it, great choppa. 3D model is fantastic :) I like to fly in coop with Ka-50.

However optimization is failure. I have 8 GB of RAM, i5 3.30 Ghz, GTX 560Ti, where other games run smoothly even Crysis 3 on full details.

DCS Mi-8 lags, it continuously loads textures (move head and move it back = shutter as example).

I hope it is Beta symptom, and later will be smooth and overall tendency of slower and slower modules will be stopped.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

LOL Have you noticed your turbine temperature? :smartass: Vne is 250 kmph if I am not mistaken (@sea level ISA).

There are limits on the temperature? Well there's no english manual yet so I wouldn't know. :music_whistling:

This was just for demonstration purposes anyway.

I bought it and I like it, great choppa. 3D model is fantastic :) I like to fly in coop with Ka-50.

However optimization is failure. I have 8 GB of RAM, i5 3.30 Ghz, GTX 560Ti, where other games run smoothly even Crysis 3 on full details.

DCS Mi-8 lags, it continuously loads textures (move head and move it back = shutter as example).

I hope it is Beta symptom, and later will be smooth and overall tendency of slower and slower modules will be stopped.

Hi Boberro

You changed your avatar, is it the model that's at fault or the latest patch ? I find it's lag free when flown on an empty map but adding other units seems to bring fps to a juddering halt

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great helicopter

I think that is great helicopter, but with a lot of work to be done too.

One thing that i think that should be done soon is or change the names on knobs and switches or on the website where we have the screenshots of panels put the same name on it.

Like for exemple SUU-53 how the hell will i know what is the SUU-53, after a lot of time reading on the net and on the forum i descovered that is the system for the tail rotor (if i'm not wrong).

The model as it selfe is really good, tha way to controle it, is very good also.

Overall opinion about MI8 is very good.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:book:

Hi Boberro

You changed your avatar, is it the model that's at fault or the latest patch ? I find it's lag free when flown on an empty map but adding other units seems to bring fps to a juddering halt

I have horrible stutters when other units are present. I still got some if only my aircraft is in the map but not as bad as the others; some times turning head means 30 to 60 seconds of waiting... :mad:

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

Hi Boberro

Focha, you might consider a system upgrade. Those system specs in your signature are ancient....

There are apps better optimized and worse... :)

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

There are apps better optimized and worse... :)

:doh:

Optimized is officially the game related lexical monstrosity of the decade.

I guess that game development is now equal to soccer in that if something is perceived as not working well, everybody suddenly turns into a head coach.

• Like 1

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

You don't get it, do you? It is same situation in Android where it needs 2 cores 1.2 Ghz to be fast enough. Now in SGS IV we have 4-8 cores and it lags.

Why? Because new CPUs are too slow?

Regarding DCS it is obvious for users and ED team that overall DCS complexity makes it more and more difficult to give enough FPS using just 1 core for everything except sound engine.

As long ED's products buyer and player I know how it changed during years. And my opinion? It's getting slower and slower. Just like that, nothing personal.

Edited by Boberro

ಠ_ಠ

You don't get it, do you?

I get it very well, but just throwing the word optimization on the table is a crass simplification of an immensely complex topic. By comparison, you wouldn't dream of saying that the answer to the economic crysis is just saving money. Well if you do, it is you who doesn't get it and you need not read on. If that isn't the case, please continue.

There's problems like hardware becoming more diverse, the abstraction layers to make it run on such diverse hardware eat up performance. Then there's the problem of complexity, where, the further you try to streamline your code, the more complex it becomes which makes it more prone to malfunction. Some things just can't be "optimized", like when an increase in texture size drives memory usage up (well, yes, there are techniques for streaming in a smart way, but the fact remains that large textures need more space than smaller textures, no amount of optimization can cure that).

Then there's the question of development cost and possible returns, and there's probably other topics that escape me.

That's why i react allergic to people throwing around the word optimization as if it was lazyness or neglect on EDs part that makes their simulator perform worse than people expect. The fact remains that as the bar is raised, you need faster hardware so software developers can realize those functions in a sensible amount of time (or at all, even). The situation with ED being a small company and the simulation genre a niche market isn't helping. Still ED are doing what they can to remedy performance issues (see development of a new IG), albeit at a pace they can afford, not at one you demand.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I get it very well, but just throwing the word optimization on the table is a crass simplification of an immensely complex topic. By comparison, you wouldn't dream of saying that the answer to the economic crysis is just saving money. Well if you do, it is you who doesn't get it and you need not read on. If that isn't the case, please continue.

There's problems like hardware becoming more diverse, the abstraction layers to make it run on such diverse hardware eat up performance. Then there's the problem of complexity, where, the further you try to streamline your code, the more complex it becomes which makes it more prone to malfunction. Some things just can't be "optimized", like when an increase in texture size drives memory usage up (well, yes, there are techniques for streaming in a smart way, but the fact remains that large textures need more space than smaller textures, no amount of optimization can cure that).

Then there's the question of development cost and possible returns, and there's probably other topics that escape me.

That's why i react allergic to people throwing around the word optimization as if it was lazyness or neglect on EDs part that makes their simulator perform worse than people expect. The fact remains that as the bar is raised, you need faster hardware so software developers can realize those functions in a sensible amount of time (or at all, even). The situation with ED being a small company and the simulation genre a niche market isn't helping. Still ED are doing what they can to remedy performance issues (see development of a new IG), albeit at a pace they can afford, not at one you demand.

Good afternoon all,

I have to disagree with you in some points. I understand what you said, regarding that as software's complexity grows, also the problems associated with that grow start to show up. But in this specific case, DCS: World last update, I think there is a bit of optimization on the side. I don't know if it's ED fault or Belsimtek and I don't really care as a costumer. But as a costumer I just know the last update lacks a bit of optimization, either because there are a lot of implementations in the software, Beta versions or because of the software's complexity.

Just as a matter of example; I can run a mission with Ka50 BS 2 and don't have any stutters. In the same conditions, under the same graphic options, switching to Mi8 or Huey, and putting some AI Mi8 and Huey units, and the stutters are immense. Sometimes going up to 60 seconds.

I know I don't have the top, last end game/sim platform, that's why option and optimization comes to play, to allow different PC hardware/software run the simulation smooth. That's seems not to be the case with the last update.

If we all have to get top end PCs, then we would buy consoles instead of PCs.

This is just my opinion on the subject, probably it's not the most correct, but I think that if we always need a 500€/1500€ PC machine every two years, then there will be no more money left for spending in the simulation. My system has already more or less 4 years, it's getting outdated, but it should run the sim with lower/medium settings.

Thank you and kind regards.

Edited by Focha

Good afternoon all,

I have to disagree with you in some points. I understand what you said, regarding that as software's complexity grows, also the problems associated with that grow start to show up. But in this specific case, DCS: World last update, I think there is a bit of optimization on the side. I don't know if it's ED fault or Belsimtek and I don't really care as a costumer. But as a costumer I just know the last update lacks a bit of optimization, either because there are a lot of implementations in the software, Beta versions or because of the software's complexity.

Just as a matter of example; I can run a mission with Ka50 BS 2 and don't have any stutters. In the same conditions, under the same graphic options, switching to Mi8 or Huey, and putting some AI Mi8 and Huey units, and the stutters are immense. Sometimes going up to 60 seconds.

I know I don't have the top, last end game/sim platform, that's why option and optimization comes to play, to allow different PC hardware/software run the simulation smooth. That's seems not to be the case with the last update.

If we all have to get top end PCs, then we would buy consoles instead of PCs.

This is just my opinion on the subject, probably it's not the most correct, but I think that if we always need a 500€/1500€ PC machine every two years, then there will be no more money left for spending in the simulation. My system has already more or less 4 years, it's getting outdated, but it should run the sim with lower/medium settings.

Thank you and kind regards.

A lot of what you say holds merit, belsmitek's beta moduels are anything but optimised but your system specs. dont even match the recommended requirements as stated the DCS website:

Recommended system requirements: Operating system 64-bit: Windows Vista and 7; Processor: CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400, AMD Phenom X3 8750 or better; Memory: 4GB; Hard disk space: 7 GB; Video: Shader 3.0 or better; 896MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 DirectX 9.0c or better; Sound: DirectX 9.0c - compatible; DirectX: 9.0C; requires internet activation.

and we all know that official recommended system requirements are really the basic minimum requirements, in basically every single software product since the beginning of time.

Edited by VanjaB

A lot of what you say holds merit, belsmitek's beta moduels are anything but optimised but your system specs. dont even match the recommended requirements as stated the DCS website:

Recommended system requirements: Operating system 64-bit: Windows Vista and 7; Processor: CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400, AMD Phenom X3 8750 or better; Memory: 4GB; Hard disk space: 7 GB; Video: Shader 3.0 or better; 896MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 DirectX 9.0c or better; Sound: DirectX 9.0c - compatible; DirectX: 9.0C; requires internet activation.

and we all know that official recommended system requirements are really the basic minimum requirements, in basically every single software product since the beginning of time.

I agree in part with what you said, today the recommended is the minimum. Around 10 years ago, the minimum requirements were those specifications you should have to be able to run the simulation in the lowest quality or without some features.

But as I said earlier, I am able to run Ka50 in missions without a problem/stutters with my PC and settings. But as soon as I load up a Belsimtek helicopter, I start to have all kinds of stutters/breaks.

Still there are minimum system requirements that should be able to run the sim without problem in the lowest settings:

Minimum system requirements: Operating system: Windows XP, Vista or 7; Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz; Memory: 3 GB; Free hard disk space: 7 GB; Video: 512 MB RAM card, DirectX 9 - compatible; Sound: DirectX 9.0c - compatible; requires internet activation.

As far as I am able to understand, I have better CPU/Memory/Free Space against Video RAM. Probably the stutters are caused because of the less GPU RAM, still I don't have it in EDs DCS aircrafts.

Regards.