F-5 Needs Better Armament

Frankthetank

It's *an* F-5E but it's another modernized variant, not the F-5E-3 we have in DCS.

yea not a stock factory fresh E... see part of the problem isn't just differences between different model versions, but differences between nation special orders, and then there are the custom upgrades done decades after purchase/delivery.

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think teh AMRAAM didn't even exist in prototype form when the first F-5E's entered service! According to Wiki the E was introduced in 1972, while the AMRAAM first entered USAF service in 1991. So I'm guessing Northrop didn't include a fire control to shoot Aim-120's in those days! But see Wiki also mentions the later upgrades for S models that do now shoot AMRAAMs... just not 1972 era E's. That our DCS apparently represent.

Similarly no one suggests Scooters were sold with GE F404's, 'cause those were made for the Classic Hornet... but lo and behold, Malaysia did upgrade their Scooter to use a non-afterburning variant F404 years later... man that must be one sweet ride!

Basically, the details matter. Just because it looks the same, doesn't mean it's the same. This is why so many military secrets become the target of intel gathering, because even small details can have huge differences in outcomes in conflict.

Edited by Rick50
spelled Malaysia wrong

Unfortunately DCS planes do not recieve upgrades...

well, ecept the Ka-50 taht is ;).

But its a different aircraft and you have to buy it again.

So yeah it would be cool to have a modern F-5, but it wont be the E no more...

Every CBU, aside from the CBU-97, is borked. The CBU-52, Mk.20, CBU-87 and CBU-99 all have such a tiny dispersion, they're useless. This has been an issue since release of the F-5, without anything being done. Another abandon area by ED and BST.

Now I cannot speak to the realism of the dispersal area or effectiveness of it but to say they are useless is straight up hyperbole. I use the rockeye every time I fly the F/A-18 and as long as I stay within parameters I get one kill per drop on all but perhaps the M-1 Abrams or a T-90.

F5Etanks.jpg

:megalol:

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Unfortunately DCS planes do not recieve upgrades...

well, ecept the Ka-50 taht is ;).

But its a different aircraft and you have to buy it again.

So yeah it would be cool to have a modern F-5, but it wont be the E no more...

its not just the ka50....

A10C recieved a 3d cockpit facelift and there are very much official development aims for a new A10C v2.0 module

Its just that the Ka50 has been around the longer than any other module and has happened to get more updates.

So there is no reason to think some years down the line other modules won't eventually get updates.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD