Unveiling the VKB TECS Throttle Control System

UIV

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really think multiple posting works?

And you think not providing direct answers to potential customers works, who are willing to sacrifice hard earned income to purchase stick + base + throttle + mounting system... Which by my calculations is not inexpensive at all...

$160+$300+200?+???= $660 then + $40 extension or whatever adapters... You're looking at upwards of $700...

So considering the investment someone would make, and the competitors out there... Namely, one in particular I am looking at... That offers a mounting solution which would be ideal for my setup.

I would like at some point information on what you are cooking for a mount system. Someone asked about WW2 vintage throttle and you showed proposed render of one, then you even went on to say it would be better left for April 1, as a joke???

So I am asking about mounting system, maybe not WW2 throttle but just as important to us with desks.

And you think not providing direct answers to potential customers works

Information from the kitchen comes in due time.

Kicking the kitchen door never helps in getting dinner served earlier. Just leaves marks on the door.

... offers a mounting solution which would be ideal for my setup

See, so the problem of looking for an ideal solution is solved.

I would like at some point information on what you are cooking for a mount system

Absolutely understand you and appreciate your interest. Key words are - as you extremely precisely put it - at some point.

Someone asked about WW2 vintage throttle and you showed proposed render of one

Wrong. I never showed the render. Someone (who spoke no Russian) shared a (taken out of context) render he had seen at a Russian forum. Which was shown there as a half-joke, like "look, we also toyed with something like this". Any car manufacturer has hundreds of designs of absolutely breathtaking cars, out of which only one or two finally make it to the customers. (I don't believe I really have to explain this).

So I am asking about mounting system

And I am answering, more than once, that the announcement will be posted as soon as time comes.

It was confirmed, also more than once, that the mounting system is on our plans.

Pounding me with the same question will not speed up anything.

Please don't hesitate to ask about other things, otherwise please stay tuned for updates. Which will be posted up "at some point".

• Like 1

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

Wrong. I never showed the render. Someone (who spoke no Russian) shared a (taken out of context) render he had seen at a Russian forum. Which was shown there as a half-joke, like "look, we also toyed with something like this". Any car manufacturer has hundreds of designs of absolutely breathtaking cars, out of which only one or two finally make it to the customers. (I don't believe I really have to explain this).

Ahem, this render was showed by the same guy who made this very thread with OFFICIAL VKB TECS announcement. No wonder people are confused what is serious product, and what is half-joke.

If you want to be treated as serious company, start acting like one.

• Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Please don't hesitate to ask about other things, otherwise please stay tuned for updates. Which will be posted up "at some point".

You may start by answering the questions about the throttle that were already posted in this thread. Like is there anything on the left side of the throttle, how the afterburner detent is activated, can the HATs work as axis slew or buttons only, are the grips modular (swappable by the end user), etc.

So far, despite several guys with VKB in their avatars posting in this thread, we didn't get any solid answer to those questions. Even something like "hey, these are early renders with throttle design and layout still in flux" would be good.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

about the slider vs tilting one: i have the TM TWCS and it certainly has a good amount of stiction which i as of yet still have to remedy with Nyogel. So i guess sliders are generally more prone to stiction than other designs. But, i always wondered, how a tiling throttle actually is set up internally?

I own a TM T.16000 throttle and the biggest complaint I have is the ‘stiction’ as well as limited travel of the grip itself. Same applied to the CH Pro throttle which I used years before.

IIRC the TECS grip travel is a mere 11cm which, IMO, is too short to make accurate thrust changes. What the Warthog throttle has going for it is the arcing movement which effectively increases the amount of travel for the same amount of desktop real-estate. Also, I’m hoping that they (VKB) are using bearings instead of rails but I’m not holding my breath.

I am happy that other companies are getting into this corner of the market. The VKB stick will be ordered as soon as the European dealer allows it. Might take a wait and see attitude regarding the TECS even though it looks absolutely awesome.

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

IIRC the TECS grip travel is a mere 11cm which, IMO, is too short to make accurate thrust changes. What the Warthog throttle has going for it is the arcing movement which effectively increases the amount of travel for the same amount of desktop real-estate. Also, I’m hoping that they (VKB) are using bearings instead of rails but I’m not holding my breath.

While the 11cm isn't much, it's more than enough to make accurate thrust changes provided that the movement is smooth without stcktion. A longer throw can actually make things more difficult, as it may be harder to operate all switches at extreme positions.

A real Warthog throttle for example does not arc as much as the Thrustmaster one, because it has much longer arm.

Unveiling the VKB TECS Throttle Control System

You're aware that UIV posted the image of the SETS in this thread, correct? Two posts down from where he showed the front of the throttle. See post #65.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Not too impressed with some of the VKB (I assume official) posting in this thread. Luckily there is an easily available competitor, and as I live in Europe I know where I will be getting my next stick, throttle, extension, and table mount from.

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs

Flight Controls:Virpil VPC MoogoosT-50 / MFG Crosswinds / GVL Throttle / Oculus Rift CV1

''The rendered image shows the pre-production version of the TECS. We will work together with the DCS experts to finalize the panels' layout, and confirm the text of the prints. If you read Russian, you might like studying these prints now: there might be something you wouldn't expect to see.''

There, I held your hand and took you right to it. Satisfied?

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

''The rendered image shows the pre-production version of the TECS. We will work together with the DCS experts to finalize the panels' layout, and confirm the text of the prints. If you read Russian, you might like studying these prints now: there might be something you wouldn't expect to see.''

There, I held your hand and took you right to it. Satisfied?

The part you quote actually says that the thing left to finalize are panels layout (not the throttle itself) and text on the prints. From the announcement, the throttle sounds finished and if VKB has pre-production version already, they should have pretty good idea of what functions are going to be on it, how the mechanism will work, etc. Yet, in the original announcement, even the front render of the throttle was missing. Some people are easily satisfied, some would like more information. That's what this thread is for, not just "ooooohs", and "aaaaahs".

BTW, unlike in software development, where unfinished products can be released and patched for years, in hardware development NOW is the time to give feedback and point out any issues. By the time the production starts and molds are made, it will be to late to say that some switch is in the wrong place or some function is missing.

Wrong. You no, but the render was showed by VKB member in this same topic, in a answer for my comment about a "vintage" throttle design.

I just move the render for a separated topic using the name who VKB member use because I want comment about the design be too "Bo'X" oriented, and so don't create a off-topic in this TECS topic. ;)

Anyway, if worth anything, I suggest you look around - besides this forum, you will see that the reaction to this "(VKB) April, 1st JOKE" was positive. Are interest in a "WW2 like throttle". :thumbup:

But I bet that you will only show your real "Joker" in the matter after VirPil show their cards, as usual. A smart market move. :D

• Like 1

I thought the Vintage throttle was real... :(

Apparently several folks initially thought it was, myself included.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I think the confusion is justified given the renders posts by non VKB folks. But regardless, getting into any kind of pissing contest with potential customer in public is not a way to ingratiate yourself to a very fickle community. I still believe there is a market for a well designed throttle.

• Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

LOL. Well, there is that too! :D

I'm sure some of it is cultural differences. People seemed on the "impatient" side on this thread. Hell, maybe that means there is a pent up demand for a nice throttle!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Of course there is a demand, I had my Warthog throttle for almost 8 years, time for something better :)

Vintage - what it is, fully explained

There is no such word as "never".

Some day anything can happen.

For now and for foreseeable future, this Vintage model is a concept.

As a concept, it might some time be developed into a serial model. Or, not be developed. Or, be replaced with another concept. Or, be edited beyond recognition.

At the moment the only thing it is is a concept.

One of several.

What you see in the picture is no more than outer shell.

There might be nothing inside, under these metallic texture.

Or, there might be a well thought over set of internals.

In this particular case it is the latter. This concept may already be moved up to production department.

Which, of course, does not mean its immediate serial manufacture.

It only means the beginning of another many month long period of working on this project before the first samples start showing up.

But there are yet no plans to go ahead with it.

Someone asked us whether we had ever thought of making a throttle control system for piston planes.

This picture is a good illustration to the answer, which is yes, we had.

And we still do.

So, maybe - some day.

We keep thinking about piston aviation, and more control systems for the planes of that era.

Something will come their way.

Sooner or later.

When we finally get to the point of making a throttle control unit for piston planes, this concept will be on the shortlist, together with a few others.

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator